ALL WMA's

jkendal1

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/general-wma-regulations/

FERAL HOGS and Coyotes
A Feral Hog and Coyote Season will be held from May 16-31 on all WMAs (unless otherwise specified). During this two week hunt, any legal firearm for big or small game may be used except on Archery Only areas where hunters can only use archery equipment. In addition, feral hogs and coyotes may be taken during any small or big game season with the appropriate lawful weapons. Hunter orange is required. No night hunting or baiting allowed. Electronic calls may be used. :cool::clap::hair::yeah:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Last year it was Before turkey season on select few WMAs........at least it covers all of them this time. I just wish it was before Turkey season:cry:

BeefMaster

I reckon I will be a glutton for punishment and go wander aimlessly around Pinelog. I'd love to find one of those rascals who have made all the tracks and sign I have found. I suspect they will be way in the yonder after all the turkey season traffic.

abangs

I've never hunted WMA's before. Lots of private land hunting but no WMA's. I'm planning on hunting WMA's this year for the open hog weeks. Schedule is pretty flexible so thinking about doing weekdays rather than busier weekends. Been reading as much as possible on which ones to work. Info is scattered but sounds like there are several WMA's with hogs. For you seasoned WMA regulars: What would be your top 5 WMA's to look at: Excluding anything South of say Atlanta and Augusta??? I am in Hall County so pretty central to alot of WMA's w/n a 2 hr drive. Thanks!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I reckon I will be a glutton for punishment and go wander aimlessly around Pinelog. I'd love to find one of those rascals who have made all the tracks and sign I have found. I suspect they will be way in the yonder after all the turkey season traffic.

Yea come on....I’ll be out there. I am jonesing big time right now!

Who's up for a Pine Log Hunt on May 19th?

We got baseball, but surely one of them weekends I’ll be there.....no doubt!

I've never hunted WMA's before. Lots of private land hunting but no WMA's. I'm planning on hunting WMA's this year for the open hog weeks. Schedule is pretty flexible so thinking about doing weekdays rather than busier weekends. Been reading as much as possible on which ones to work. Info is scattered but sounds like there are several WMA's with hogs. For you seasoned WMA regulars: What would be your top 5 WMA's to look at: Excluding anything South of say Atlanta and Augusta??? I am in Hall County so pretty central to alot of WMA's w/n a 2 hr drive. Thanks!!

War woman comes to mind.......they are in your backyard though:p

patton72

Too bad we can't bait for a week or two before the hunt. And allowing night hunting would greatly help. Thanks for the oportunity to hunt. Maybe when they become a problem the DNR will get serious about letting us hunt them.

DMCox

So I didn't see anything about National Forest being included in this. Does anyone know if hog hunting will be allowed in the NF? I know there are a bunch of WMA's within the NF, but some good spots are outside of those. Just figured I'd ask to see if anyone else had found different info.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Too bad we can't bait for a week or two before the hunt. And allowing night hunting would greatly help. Thanks for the oportunity to hunt. Maybe when they become a problem the DNR will get serious about letting us hunt them.

Ya know, the more I think about it, why Are we not allowed to bait on WMAs:huh: Seems kind of nuts that if you walk the edges on many wmas, you can SEE feeders, but we cant put out a pile of corn on the ground for instance........:huh:

Hey Killmaster, I dont think I will be able to go to the next meeting, but I would like to enter my suggestion that we be alowed to bait on WMAs. Restrict it if you want to, like what type of bait, feeder(or not) etc.....but let us bait.

PappyHoel

I might do a hunt on Dawson forest since I'm a mile away. It sucks you can't hunt at night.

UncleBuzz

Just to clarify the rules on WMAs, I have my carry permit and usually have my pistol with me when hunting. If it's during turkey season, and I'm hunting a WMA with my shotgun and a pig comes by, I can only shoot it with my shotgun? Or can I grab my pistol and kill it with that?

From my understanding, I have to use whatever weapon is legal for what's in season, so I interpreted it as shotgun with 4 shot or bigger or bow is legal for turkeys, that's the only thing I can kill a hog with on WMAs til the May hog season.

Sound correct?

JBowers

Ya know, the more I think about it, why Are we not allowed to bait on WMAs:huh: Seems kind of nuts that if you walk the edges on many wmas, you can SEE feeders, but we cant put out a pile of corn on the ground for instance........:huh:

Hey Killmaster, I dont think I will be able to go to the next meeting, but I would like to enter my suggestion that we be alowed to bait on WMAs. Restrict it if you want to, like what type of bait, feeder(or not) etc.....but let us bait.

It is not allowed on WMAs because it is not a biologically appropriate practice, not in the best interest of the wildlife resource, and other concerns.

Your input will be thoughtfully considered.

JB

gaunited

I know in the reg it says all wma are open (unless otherwise specified) but it does not say anything in the regs that any wma is close for this special hunt. So I called and ask the rep in region 6 I believe, to ask if river bend wma will be open for this hunt and the lady told me it will not be open. Just a heads up for anyone who was planning to go their. But if anyone knows how we can tell (other than calling in) what wma will or will not be open please let us know.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I know in the reg it says all wma are open (unless otherwise specified) but it does not say anything in the regs that any wma is close for this special hunt. So I called and ask the rep in region 6 I believe, to ask if river bend wma will be open for this hunt and the lady told me it will not be open. Just a heads up for anyone who was planning to go their. But if anyone knows how we can tell (other than calling in) what wma will or will not be open please let us know.

Look at the regs for each WMA your interested in. It will clearly state (Not included in the May16-31st hog and coyote hunt. Look at the some of the WMA dove fields they will show what i'm talking about.