Which engine?

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
The Sterling 9.75 axle is junk IMO. I'd rather have the 8.8 anyday. The limited slip clutches in the 9.75 always seemed to give more issues to me. At least that's what I saw when I was a mechanic.

Dennis

My buddy's 3.5 has problems and there was metal in the oil pan said he needed a new engine.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I enjoyed this video, and in general, agree. The technology has come a long way. Imagine getting a true SAE 395 HP and 400 ft/lbs torque out of a 70s vehicle (or even 80s for that matter).

rmp

Like others have mentioned, I suggest driving each of them.
I own both in older versions and can see pros and cons for each engine. Neither has been any trouble. The 5.0 at over 100K miles and the 3.5 at 97K miles. The 3.5 is harder on the oil based on blackstone reports so I change it at 5k no matter what. All said, I prefer the 3.5L for what I do. Towing separates them even more IME but they both seem to be well engineered. Either will serve you well.

Deerhead

I would like to thank everyone for their recommendations and sharing their experiences. I pulled the trigger on the FX 4 w/5.0. it has enough power for me and I save a few bucks. Well not really I spent more money on after market accessories. Please don't tell the wife! I will say the 3.5 is a nice engine.

The auto start will take some time to get use to. I like the quiet. But the restart is... unusual. Like Killmaster the dealer gave a lifetime power train warranty. I always do the scheduled maintenance. I now have to keep all the records. But it will be worth it.

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone for their recommendations and sharing their experiences. I pulled the trigger on the 5.0. it has enough power for me and I save a few bucks. Well not really I spent more money on after market accessories. Please don't tell the wife! I will say the 3.5 is a nice engine.

The auto start will take some time to get use to. I like the quiet. But the restart is... unusual. Like Killmaster the dealer gave a lifetime power train warranty. I always do the scheduled maintenance. I now have to keep all the records. But it will be worth it.

Congratulations on your new truck! I happen to own an older F150 FX4 with a 5.4 and really like it. Also have an Explorer with the 3.5EB and love it, tons of power in that vehicle at only 4000 pounds.

Is there a way to defeat the "auto start" in your truck? I'm certain that it would drive me absolutely crazy in normal driving.

Deerhead

Congratulations on your new truck! I happen to own an older F150 FX4 with a 5.4 and really like it. Also have an Explorer with the 3.5EB and love it, tons of power in that vehicle at only 4000 pounds.

Is there a way to defeat the "auto start" in your truck? I'm certain that it would drive me absolutely crazy in normal driving.

There is a button on the dash you can press. It will disengage the auto stop/stop temporarily. You would have to press this button every time you drive.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
my 13 is a little older than you asked about, but the 5.0 has been bullet proof for over 115k now, and the mileage difference is only 1mpg according to Ford.

The thing that swayed me was twin turbos. I have bought turbos before. They are 1k a pop or better, and then labor to install them. No thanks.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked the parts counter what a replacement turbo would cost if I had to replace one.$1200. ea plus $1500 to install.He stated you would need to replace both to not have issues. I bought the 5.0 and love it.I get 18-20mpg highway and 16 around town. Mine is a 2014.4x4 supercrew.

rmp

I asked the parts counter what a replacement turbo would cost if I had to replace one.$1200. ea plus $1500 to install.

I would be looking for a different dealer if I were you...should you need any work done. A genuine Ford turbo for the 3.5 is under $600.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I would be looking for a different dealer if I were you...should you need any work done. A genuine Ford turbo for the 3.5 is under $600.

I actually called 2 different dealers. Both were in Metro Atlanta and both were very close to the same prices.

Robert28

Hard to go wrong with the 5.0! I’m not too terribly worried about the dual turbos on my 2.7, I’ve had turbos in tractors ranging anywhere from 50hp on up to 200. Shoot, they’re putting turbos on zero turn lawn mowers now! I think another F150 is in my future because I’ve really enjoyed this one and am sold on another down the line. I’ll most likely get the 5.0 just to have something different. Assuming it’s still around by then.

htr4life

Ford has slightly changed the 5.0 for 2018, and they are having issues (multiple cylinder misfires). Also, the 10 speed transmission shutters and skips between 40-49mph.

If you're set on having a v8.I would suggest a 5.0 with 6 speed transmission in the 2015-2017 timeframe. Otherwise, I would avoid becoming the guinea pig because i'm experiencing the aforementioned problems as we speak (2nd time i might add).

Sorry, i see you have already purchased a 5.0. I hope you have better luck than I have.

rmp

First. Congrats to the OP on the new truck. Search youtube for the auto start/stop disable if you want to eliminate it. I have a rep at work that disabled it on his 2017 3.5L.

I actually called 2 different dealers. Both were in Metro Atlanta and both were very close to the same prices.
Good story. :huh: Needing to "replace both to not have issues" was your dead give away.

For someone here who happens to need replacement parts or for that matter, anyone that stumbles on this site during a search, RUN if someone quotes prices such as those above. Mine is a 2012 and I did plenty of research before purchase. $1200 would be insane then and now for a stock turbo. And $1500 install? Unreal. Full Race or Borg Warners are even cheaper than that should you feel the need to have a working "sleeper".

They cost a bit more for my 2012 but still less than $600 and this is the first website I checked. Notice "list price".

Turbo

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
First. Congrats to the OP on the new truck. Search youtube for the auto start/stop disable if you want to eliminate it. I have a rep at work that disabled it on his 2017 3.5L.

Good story. :huh: Needing to "replace both to not have issues" was your dead give away.

For someone here who happens to need replacement parts or for that matter, anyone that stumbles on this site during a search, RUN if someone quotes prices such as those above. Mine is a 2012 and I did plenty of research before purchase. $1200 would be insane then and now for a stock turbo. And $1500 install? Unreal. Full Race or Borg Warners are even cheaper than that should you feel the need to have a working "sleeper".

They cost a bit more for my 2012 but still less than $600 and this is the first website I checked. Notice "list price".

Turbo
I can only make decisions on what people in an industry tell me(dealer parts/service people).I ask this question in 2014 about a 2014 F 150 ecoboost.Were they lieing?I don't know.
I thank you for openly correcting my life experience..I wish you well and hope to see you in heaven one day.

Last edited: