Is the atheistic view/belief/reality that there is free-will? - Thx.

gemcgrew

The decision has already been made for everyone and fortunately, since that is not our decision, there are no consequences.
The consequences are determined by God as well. It appears as if you want to be free from God in all matters.

ambush80

Those are good questions.

Incentive? I think Paul may have said it perfectly.

"That I may know Him"

Who compares? Does not all comparison take its rightful place there? When the incomparable One makes himself known, what happens to all those other things (even those as mentioned by Paul that once served his use in comparison)? What must fall away...?

The whittler begins his work as we behold Him. And everything that seems as loss in the discard only serves to clearer vision, and even greater desire.

A dear friend chosen as one set to the provoking of envy was used to provoke me to say this as a child in the Lord..."I want what you have!"

In simplicity he said "To have what I have you will have to lose what I have lost", and this said without an ounce of regret.

Stephen paused and, though his companion did not speak, felt that his words had called up around them a thought-enchanted silence.

—What I have said, he began again, refers to beauty in the wider sense of the word, in the sense which the word has in the literary tradition. In the marketplace it has another sense. When we speak of beauty in the second sense of the term our judgement is influenced in the first place by the art itself and by the form of that art. The image, it is clear, must be set between the mind or senses of the artist himself and the mind or senses of others. If you bear this in memory you will see that art necessarily divides itself into three forms progressing from one to the next. These forms are: the lyrical form, the form wherein the artist presents his image in immediate relation to himself; the epical form, the form wherein he presents his image in mediate relation to himself and to others; the dramatic form, the form wherein he presents his image in immediate relation to others.

—That you told me a few nights ago, said Lynch, and we began the famous discussion.

—I have a book at home, said Stephen, in which I have written down questions which are more amusing than yours were. In finding the answers to them I found the theory of esthetic which I am trying to explain. Here are some questions I set myself: IS A CHAIR FINELY MADE TRAGIC OR COMIC? IS THE PORTRAIT OF MONA LISA GOOD IF I DESIRE TO SEE IT? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

—Why not, indeed? said Lynch, laughing.

—IF A MAN HACKING IN FURY AT A BLOCK OF WOOD, Stephen continued, MAKE THERE AN IMAGE OF A COW, IS THAT IMAGE A WORK OF ART? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

—That's a lovely one, said Lynch, laughing again. That has the true scholastic stink.

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Israel

BANNED
Stephen paused and, though his companion did not speak, felt that his words had called up around them a thought-enchanted silence.

—What I have said, he began again, refers to beauty in the wider sense of the word, in the sense which the word has in the literary tradition. In the marketplace it has another sense. When we speak of beauty in the second sense of the term our judgement is influenced in the first place by the art itself and by the form of that art. The image, it is clear, must be set between the mind or senses of the artist himself and the mind or senses of others. If you bear this in memory you will see that art necessarily divides itself into three forms progressing from one to the next. These forms are: the lyrical form, the form wherein the artist presents his image in immediate relation to himself; the epical form, the form wherein he presents his image in mediate relation to himself and to others; the dramatic form, the form wherein he presents his image in immediate relation to others.

—That you told me a few nights ago, said Lynch, and we began the famous discussion.

—I have a book at home, said Stephen, in which I have written down questions which are more amusing than yours were. In finding the answers to them I found the theory of esthetic which I am trying to explain. Here are some questions I set myself: IS A CHAIR FINELY MADE TRAGIC OR COMIC? IS THE PORTRAIT OF MONA LISA GOOD IF I DESIRE TO SEE IT? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

—Why not, indeed? said Lynch, laughing.

—IF A MAN HACKING IN FURY AT A BLOCK OF WOOD, Stephen continued, MAKE THERE AN IMAGE OF A COW, IS THAT IMAGE A WORK OF ART? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

—That's a lovely one, said Lynch, laughing again. That has the true scholastic stink.

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

It looks like you've highlighted a few questions. Are they "to me"...or just meant as signal questions?

Israel

BANNED
Why would we imagine he?

I'm good with that.

As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm good with that.

As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth

Apparently not, JUST, good with that.

Its almost like a shock gobble.

Israel

BANNED
Apparently not, JUST, good with that.

Its almost like a shock gobble.

ahhh! I do that sometimes when I see them out and about...these are a few girls my wife was driving up on on the property.

Edible artwork...to also defer to Ambush's post.

Attachments

• turkeys.jpg
    turkeys.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 61

Israel

BANNED
LOL...I know you're glad God made turkeys and 3 1/2 magnums.

Gobble gobble gobble

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
LOL...I know you're glad God made turkeys and 3 1/2 magnums.

Gobble gobble gobble

I am glad turkeys exist and that I do not need or use 3 1/2" magnums to kill them.

What you claim to know, as always, is suspect.

Israel

BANNED
I am glad turkeys exist and that I do not need or use 3 1/2" magnums to kill them.

What you claim to know, as always, is suspect.

well, that's good. I guess I am rightly reproved.

(Although I don't hunt or even own a shotgun, I'm still glad for 3 1/2 magnums, maybe the way I'm glad for Lamborghini's and Porsche's, besides, ya just never know when someone might give you one.)

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
And from the photo I think he is a school bus driver.:D

Hey Richie, that's the property my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids live on, my stepdaughter drives the bus. But here's a photo of more edible art from the property we live on (my wife and I)

That there is a Pied Beauty, as Gerard Manley Hopkins might say.

Attachments

• fawn.jpg
    fawn.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
And from the photo I think he is a school bus driver.:D

Are you a professional bass fisherman? How would he have gotten a pic of the back of the turkeys is he was driving that bus?

red neck richie

Are you a professional bass fisherman? How would he have gotten a pic of the back of the turkeys is he was driving that bus?

No I only play one on the weekends. He said his wife rolled up on the birds. So she probably took the picture as well. Otherwise he would of said he rolled up on the birds.

WaltL1

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 28