Lawn sod

tcward

Thinking about having some sod put down. What would be the cost for an area of about 400 sq ft?

DAWG1419

Thinking about having some sod put down. What would be the cost for an area of about 400 sq ft?

500sqft come on a pallet. We have been at $500 lately for bermuda. That includes grading, bermuda sod, laying, and delivery.

livetohunt

It depends on what type of sod you use..The basic sod that most builders use cost around $125 per pallet..With the small amount that you need, you could do it yourself after having the sod delivered. Or you can find someone to put it down for pretty cheap(assuming the ground is prepared already). I had about 12 pallets of the builder grade sod put in last year and it was around $250 a pallet including labor.

srb

You could do the area by hand / small tiller..

500 SQFT You should be able to buy for around 150$

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Bishop Branch Farms Turf is right up the road from Westminster and have Centepede and Bermuda ready to go. They're still a couple weeks out on the Zoysia being ready to cut.

Give them a shout and see what their prices are. A tiller a rake and a little elbow grease and this is easily a do it yourself job.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
It depends on what type of sod you use..The basic sod that most builders use cost around $125 per pallet..With the small amount that you need, you could do it yourself after having the sod delivered. Or you can find someone to put it down for pretty cheap(assuming the ground is prepared already). I had about 12 pallets of the builder grade sod put in last year and it was around $250 a pallet including labor.

Builder grade sod?

I've built hundreds of houses and paid for thousands of pallets of sod and I've never heard of "builder grade sod". :rofl:

BeerThirty

Builder grade sod?

I've built hundreds of houses and paid for thousands of pallets of sod and I've never heard of "builder grade sod". :rofl:

Maybe it's the cheap stuff that most contractors lay on unprepared clay and lasts about a year or two before it needs to be completely redone?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Maybe it's the cheap stuff that most contractors lay on unprepared clay and lasts about a year or two before it needs to be completely redone?

I'll have to ask a couple of my buddies who owned sod farms. First I've ever heard of it.
Heck, I do all the estimating and RFP's and I never even knew there was cheap sod and I am know as a very resourceful buyer(cheapskate).

I will report back with my findings.

edit: We put sod right down on red clay. As long as it gets sunlight, water and proper chemicals it looks great 20 years later. Thrown in some aeration and it really takes off. I've never seen sod last "a year or two" on red clay. Heck, you caint hardly kill Bermuda grass.

livetohunt

Builder grade sod?

The cheapest sod you can buy..Surely you have heard of builder grade being that you have built hundreds of houses? What's the name of your Company? Must be a high end home builder since you don't know what builder grade is.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Are you planning to install a sprinkler system? If so you will want to do that first.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
500sqft come on a pallet. We have been at $500 lately for bermuda. That includes grading, bermuda sod, laying, and delivery.

I got a buddy that grows and sells Centipede and Bermuda down here and hauls it to Atlanta or wherever. Do you buy thru a broker if so I can get you in touch with my buddy and save ya some money.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I built homes for 20 years. Then erosion control for 5 .I have never heard of builder grade sod. Is it a special Bermuda?Fescue?Rye?

sinclair1

I've been in the business for over 30 years and have never heard of "Builder Grade Sod". :rofl::rofl:

:bounce: they put common Bermuda in here back in the day, which I assume is what people call builder grade. Most is replaced with some new strain.

I don't even know if anyone even sells common sod anymore, just seed I see :huh:

I can tell where I have some common, as it puts up seed heads in about two days, where the Frankenstein Bermuda won't put up heads before the mow cycle.

killerv

Do you even know what type of grass you need? Sod can be so many different types. Put down what is best for your location.