Anywhere you can camp with a beach view within 6 hours of atl?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We would cut big wooden stakes when we went to the beach or camped on a sandbar.
One trip to Ft. Clinch got so windy it blew over a pop up on the beach side. The rangers made us move to the river side and they closed that section.

You ever camp at Hanna Park or Hugonot Park? Hugonot Park is closed to camping from hurricane damage. We camped there for a long weekend. It is primitive camping. I'm not sure what the OP is looking for.

Hanna Park in Jax is nice but not oceanfront camping.

We are gonna spend a few days there in a couple weeks. Our second trip. The bathhouses were old and dated last time we were there 3 years ago. I hope they have improved them since then. I was told they were going to remodel them when we were there last.

If you have kids that like to ride bikes, there are several miles of bike trails in Hannah Park.

Artfuldodger

We are gonna spend a few days there in a couple weeks. Our second trip. The bathhouses were old and dated last time we were there 3 years ago. I hope they have improved them since then. I was told they were going to remodel them when we were there last.

If you have kids that like to ride bikes, there are several miles of bike trails in Hannah Park.

My brother and his family loved Hannah Park. They always took a lot of bicycles. I haven't been to Ft. Clinch in a long time. I remember some hiking trails with some tall dunes. One year we went and they were doing a re-enactment at the fort.
We always went during the Shrimp Festival;

https://www.shrimpfestival.com/

Artfuldodger

Beverly Beach Camptown Resort at Flagler Beach , Fl. You back your camper right up to the sea wall.

I don't believe the OP can get any closer than that. We camped at Beverly Beach once but it was in a campground across the the road(A1A) from the ocean.
If I recall Beverly Beach is between Flagler and Daytona. We were closer to Daytona than Flagler. I've always wanted to drive down A1A from Yulee to Miami and camp along the way.

3ringer

The Beverly campground will set you back about 175 a night for a beach front site. I think it’s too much for a campsite. They don’t even have a pool. We prefer Bryn Mawr in St Augustine. Only the dunes separate you from the beach there for about 75 a night.

3ringer

Another option is Coral Sands Inn in Daytona. It is a very small campground next to a hotel but it is beachfront. Bryn Mawr campground in St Augustine has the largest pool in NE Florida. They also have a adults only pool and hot tub. We like Bryn Mawr because pets are allowed on the beach. Their beach is wide and beautiful .

Attachments

• C45C4162-E17A-495B-8ADC-F93E4C61E175.jpeg
    C45C4162-E17A-495B-8ADC-F93E4C61E175.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 81

walters

Parks

I really recommend the state parks, if u pick your site carefully, u got a nice pad, u not slide out to slide out like most beach front, st Andrews is a beautiful one, back up right on the bay, Myrtle Beach is another, bigger sites walk about 300 ft to ocean, and the state parks are reasonable, about 30 to 40 dollars a night.

Artfuldodger

The Beverly campground will set you back about 175 a night for a beach front site. I think it’s too much for a campsite. They don’t even have a pool. We prefer Bryn Mawr in St Augustine. Only the dunes separate you from the beach there for about 75 a night.

Wow, that's pretty steep. We used to camp at Bryn Mawr when I was kid in the early 70's. I've always thought it was a cool place.
I road through it in the late 90's but didn't camp, just reminiscing. The whole town is pretty interesting as well.

Artfuldodger

I really recommend the state parks, if u pick your site carefully, u got a nice pad, u not slide out to slide out like most beach front, st Andrews is a beautiful one, back up right on the bay, Myrtle Beach is another, bigger sites walk about 300 ft to ocean, and the state parks are reasonable, about 30 to 40 dollars a night.

I've camped at both types and have learned to take the good with the bad. The private ones usually are on the beach and have a pool and other amenities.
The state parks have bigger sites that are farther apart from each other. The state parks usually offer more shade.

Sometimes it's easier to get a reservation in the private campgrounds vs the state parks.
You ever camp at the T.H. Stone Memorial St. Joseph Peninsula State Park? We rode through St. Andrews and St. George Island State Parks but preferred St. Joe.
Apalachicola is nice little town close to Port St. Joe and St. George Island.

walters

Camp

I've camped at both types and have learned to take the good with the bad. The private ones usually are on the beach and have a pool and other amenities.
The state parks have bigger sites that are farther apart from each other. The state parks usually offer more shade.

Sometimes it's easier to get a reservation in the private campgrounds vs the state parks.
You ever camp at the T.H. Stone Memorial St. Joseph Peninsula State Park? We rode through St. Andrews and St. George Island State Parks but preferred St. Joe.
Apalachicola is nice little town close to Port St. Joe and St. George Island.

Never been to that one, I'll check it out. Thanks

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the campsites are really cramped at the beachside campground at TH Stone. The beach is just across the dunes, really close. There are miles and miles of uncrowded beaches to walk, if you can put up with those cramped spaces.

Artfuldodger

the campsites are really cramped at the beachside campground at TH Stone. The beach is just across the dunes, really close. There are miles and miles of uncrowded beaches to walk, if you can put up with those cramped spaces.

Yeah they are pretty close together. I forgot about that. We mostly camp at Army Corp campgrounds around Clark Hill lake. One can get spoiled on how spacious and far apart the campsites are.

To me it depends on the trip. There are camping trips and there are trips where one camps to save money. That and not having to check into a dirty and noisy motel. In a camper you already have your own stuff, bedding, etc. You don't have to lug all that stuff to a room.

So usually when we go to the lake or mountains we are camping. When we go to the beach we are camping to save money. Although it's got to the point that may not be the case any longer.
Still though it's somewhere in between the two. It's nice to wake up and enjoy the outdoors, grilling, or just a nice walk through the campground or beach.

I can put up with the closeness for a long week end. We don't usually spend a lot of time at our campsite. We go to the beach for awhile then off to eat and visit the 17 or so souvenir shops in town. Even though they all have the very same items.
We ride around the small town shops or big town tourist traps. So those trips don't really feel like camping as much as a trip to the lake or mountains.

Reminds me of years ago my wife says, "why haven't we ever been to Pigeon Forge." I said, "because it's a tourist trap." She says, "well I'm tired of you taking me deep in the mountains to camp, I want to go to some tourist traps."
So we headed up to Pigeon Forge. When we arrived I said, "Oh my God, they've moved Myrtle Beach to the mountains."
That was my impression of the place along with Panama City as well. I'm OK with some place in between such as St. Augustine, Jacksonville Beach, Fernandina Beach, St. Simons, Savannah, Beaufort, or Isle of Palms.

Last camping trip to Myrtle Beach was a Memorial Day Weekend. I didn't realize it was the same date as Black Bike Week. The traffic was so bad with all the rice rockets, we did mostly say at the campground that long weekend.

walters

To me it depends on the trip. There are camping trips and there are trips where one camps to save money. That and not having to check into a dirty and noisy motel. In a camper you already have your own stuff, bedding, etc. You don't have to lug all that stuff to a room.

So usually when we go to the lake or mountains we are camping. When we go to the beach we are camping to save money. Although it's got to the point that may not be the case any longer.
Still though it's somewhere in between the two. It's nice to wake up and enjoy the outdoors, grilling, or just a nice walk through the campground or beach.

I feel that way about different parks, that's why I like the state parks, spacious sites shade, we love to cook and have our space, on the other hand u go to places like pirateland, ocean lakes, etc, it's kinda a parking lot, not knocking these places, we stayed at pirate land for years, loved there golf cart parade..
We were so close to our neighbors camper last time we was there, I heard the man in the camper in front at us halloring at his wife to bring him a roll of toilet paper, my wife and I almost fell outta the lawn chairs:D

Artfuldodger

I feel that way about different parks, that's why I like the state parks, spacious sites shade, we love to cook and have our space, on the other hand u go to places like pirateland, ocean lakes, etc, it's kinda a parking lot, not knocking these places, we stayed at pirate land for years, loved there golf cart parade..
We were so close to our neighbors camper last time we was there, I heard the man in the camper in front at us halloring at his wife to bring him a roll of toilet paper, my wife and I almost fell outta the lawn chairs:D

That's funny. I know what you mean. I grew up mostly going to Fernandina beach in the 70's and 80's. You could drive down the beach and actually camp on the beach at Peter's Point.
Back then this beach wasn't very crowded except on major holidays. I joined the Navy and was stationed at Charleston. My brother and his family came up for a visit and I took them to the beach at Isle of Palms.
My brother wanted to know why everyone was so close together on the beach? I said, this is the way they do it in big cities. They got no place else to go. I finally got use to the closeness and the crowds. You could hear about 5 different radios all playing a different station.
Now I just sit and watch the people.

walters

Camp

That's funny. I know what you mean. I grew up mostly going to Fernandina beach in the 70's and 80's. You could drive down the beach and actually camp on the beach at Peter's Point.
Back then this beach wasn't very crowded except on major holidays. I joined the Navy and was stationed at Charleston. My brother and his family came up for a visit and I took them to the beach at Isle of Palms.
My brother wanted to know why everyone was so close together on the beach? I said, this is the way they do it in big cities. They got no place else to go. I finally got use to the closeness and the crowds. You could hear about 5 different radios all playing a different station.
Now I just sit and watch the people.
We use to camp in Charleston every year, we love it down there, love isle of palms also