Recomendations for Places to Stay

sureshot375

I'm taking a last minute trip down to the coast this weekend to do some fishing. Any recommendations on fisherman friendly places to stay? I was looking at maybe Darien or Jekyll, but I'm open to anywhere really.

Scallen2112

Hhmmm....I don't know Darien well, so I can't really comment on it. Down here in Brunswick, Jekyll would be your better bet over St Simons. It can be a little hard to get around with a boat on St Simons - crowded and everything is a little narrow, and you have to leave the island to launch unless you want to use the winch at the Boat Club, and they are pretty steep price wise. Jekyll has a good ramp and the fishing is pretty good down here right now. Of the Altamaha, St Simons, and Jekyll/St Andrew sounds, the St Simons sound is the easiest to navigate, especially if you do not know them. I can't really suggest any hotel over another on Jekyll, as I live here and don't stay in any of them.

Riplukelee

Don’t know how far north you’re willing to go but Richmond Hill has a three or four good ramps/lifts with good fishing all around and not too far of a ride from hotels on 95 to the water

wedgebolt

Exit 58 on I95 has some hotels. Not the best hotels. Few miles down the road is a small community called Cresent. They have a boat ramp and a short ride to Sapalo Sound.

ssramage

Call the two marinas coming onto St. Simons and see if they'll rent you an overnight slip. Then you can stay anywhere you want and have good places to eat in the evenings.

glumpkin

Every year I spend a week on Jekyll. I rent a house, which you can find to be very reasonable. You can rent the houses by the night with a two night min. on most houses. Just call Parker-Kaufman, or Jekyll realty for details and availability.

The nice thing about being at a house, you have a drive to park the boat in, as well as a means to wash down your boat after pulling it out of the water.

The ramp at Jekyll is a great place to launch.

Mexican Squealer

City of Darien docks are free to keep your boat in the water. Check with the Waterfront Inn for room availability within a short walk (just down the hill) to the ramp and city docks. Eat and drink at Skippers fish camp. On the water, just behind the Inn. Several hotels at the Darien exit or vrbo.

dawgwatch

If you use the boat club on St. Simons be careful if you have a t-top on your boat. The bridge you go under if very close at high tide. I have a 22 foot sea fox and can't make it on high tide...

Scallen2112

If you use the boat club on St. Simons be careful if you have a t-top on your boat. The bridge you go under if very close at high tide. I have a 22 foot sea fox and can't make it on high tide...

True. My Hydra Sports 2500 WA needs it to be between 10 and 12 on the clearance markers to make it under. There is always the option to swing around to the McKay and go under the big bridge.

sureshot375

I ended up staying at two way marina. They have one little cabin they rent. Very convenient set up.

We caught flounder and trout yesterday. This morning we caught trout, reddish, one juvenile black drum and a bonethead shark.