2018 Braves

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToHuntAndFish

Nice road win to keep 8th road win streak going.

Glad the offense came alive rumbling with 16-hits while Freeman (5-hits)& Albies (Grand Slam & 5-RBI's) great games with 1st time highlights. Good having Foltynewicz deliver a fine game after the previous 2 rough outings.

If the Braves did not have the impressive 7-run 6th-inning scores getting runs after 2-outs, then it would've been tied after the 9th to have to go into extra innings.

Time = 1:47

Published on May 10, 2018

Daily Recap: Ozzie Albies mashed a grand slam while Freddie Freeman added a two-run homer in the 6th inning as the Braves beat the Marlins

Dc4kUMVX4AA-WxR.jpg

Braves highlights tweets:

.@albiesozzie97 launches a GRAND SLAM!
#Braves up 5-1!

@FreddieFreeman5 adds a 2-run blast of his own to make it a 7-1 #Braves lead!

.@enderinciartem's third hit of the night is an RBI double!
Braves up 8-1!

This is the 10th career 4-hit game for @FreddieFreeman5!

Freddie Freeman with his first career 5-hit game as the Braves stay in 1st place.

MLB Stat of the Day

.@albiesozzie97 (21 years, 123 days old) is the youngest @Braves player to hit a slam since Andruw Jones in 1997 (20 years, 130 days).

And they’re BOTH from Willemstad, Curaçao (via @ckamka).

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=380510128

Game Recap:

Ozzie Albies hit Atlanta's first grand slam of the season to highlight a seven-run sixth inning, Freddie Freeman had a career-high five hits

During this 8-0 road streak, the Braves have outscored opponents 50-8 -- winning four of those games by at least seven runs.

Freeman came into the night batting .301. He left batting .326.

Freeman had nine four-hit games in his career before Thursday. The Braves have had only three other 5-for-5 games since the start of 2014 -- all off the bat of Ender Inciarte last season.

Patriot44

Banned
We are 1/3 way through May and we are 2.5 games ahead of the satanic devils and still in first by a1/2 game.

Go Bravo's! Albies is freaking beast!!!!!!!!!

BornToHuntAndFish

Too bad the Braves did not get to sign the young #1 MLB pipeline prospect, 2-way pitching & hitting threat Shohei Otani who joined the Angels this season.:bounce:

Time = 1:56

Is Shohei Ohtani a better hitter or pitcher?

FOX Sports West

Published on May 8, 2018

Shohei Ohtani is coming off yet another solid outing on the mound leaving Jose Mota and Mark Gubicza at a stalemate as to whether he is better as a hitter or pitcher. Angels' manager Mike Scioscia has to be used as the deciding factor.

AND/OR

Time = 1:57

MIN@LAA: Ohtani rips an RBI double and 414-ft. homer

MLB

Published on May 11, 2018

Shohei Ohtani belts an RBI double and 414-foot home run to help lift the Angels over the Twins

AND/OR

Time = 5:16

Shohei Ohtani strikes out six over six innings against the Mariners

MLB

Published on May 6, 2018

Shohei Ohtani throws six innings, gives up only two runs and strikes out six in his start against the Mariners

;)

BornToHuntAndFish

Wish Snitker would move better hitter, faster runner Inciarte (3-hits in last game last night) up at least 1 more spot to 5th in the batting lineup behind Markakis & ahead of catcher Suzuki or Flowers. Ender's hitting has returned decently in recent games.

Dc8Bhj_XcAAwHAz.jpg

.@enderinciartem's third hit of the night is an RBI double!
Braves up 8-1!

Freeman had nine four-hit games in his career before Thursday.
The Braves have had only three other 5-for-5 games since the start of 2014 -- all off the bat of Ender Inciarte last season.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/ender-inciarte-making-way-back-to-leadoff-spot/c-276160626

Inciarte making way back toward leadoff spot

"Part of me still thinks Ender could still be a real good leadoff hitter, because he has been for a long time," Snitker said. "But for now, we're going to allow him to work his way back up there."

Snitker reverted to using a traditional lineup structure during Thursday night's 9-2 series-opening win against the Marlins

Inciarte delivered a double in the second inning and sparked the uprising in the sixth with a one-out single. That gave him hits in four straight at-bats against a southpaw. Inciarte was 4-for-31 against them before this stretch. Inciarte then added an RBI double against a righty to cap the Braves' big sixth, his second hit of the inning.

"When he's swinging the bat like he can, it doesn't matter where he hits," Snitker said. "He's going to be a force."

DannyW

The wheels are starting to wobble on the Brandon McCarthy experiment. A strong start to the season, only 9 ER in his first 5 starts, but his ERA has spiked by 2.5 runs in his last 2 starts by giving up 11 ER in just 8 inning of work.

Hopefully he does not become the 2018 Bartolo Colon where the Braves wasted 2 months waiting for him to "turn it around"....too many pitching options in the organization to allow that to happen.

BornToHuntAndFish

i

Nice having the bats cranking with 12-hits for the Braves win, including 4-HR's & a Triple.

Time = 2:42

Freeman, Inciarte power Braves past Marlins: 5/12/18

Published on May 12, 2018

Daily Recap: Freddie Freeman mashed two homers and notched 3 RBIs, while Ender Inciarte slugged a homer of his own in the Braves' 10-5 win

DdC882BW4AA3tZp.jpg

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=380512128

Box Score:

1st - F. Freeman homered to right center (419 feet).

5th - F. Freeman homered to center (401 feet), Acuña Jr. scored.

6th - J Bautista homered to left (373 feet).

9th - Culberson tripled to deep left center, Markakis scored.

9th - Inciarte homered to right (362 feet), Culberson scored.

i

BornToHuntAndFish

Fine close road win, but the bullpen almost gave away the game in the last inning. Nice having Newcomb pitch his 3rd good consecutive game.

Braves Triple-A showing lots of future big league potential with 2 top prospects Riley & Allard having impressive game.

Time = 2:10

Newcomb, Inciarte lead Braves to 4-3 victory: 5/13/18

Published on May 13, 2018

Daily Recap: Sean Newcomb tossed six shutout frames of one-hit ball, while Ender Inciarte blasted a two-run homer in the 4-3 win

DdGsUt4WkAQG8tf.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Another stellar outing for @SeanNewk as he has now thrown 20 consecutive scoreless innings ???#ChopOn pic.twitter.com/t5VQVKKbTT</p>— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) May 13, 2018</blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/sean-newcomb-stellar-as-braves-hang-on-for-win/c-276556458

But as the Braves rolled toward their 10th win in their past 11 road games they were once again led by Newcomb, who has completed 20 consecutive scoreless innings.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/braves-allard-riley-showcase-potential/c-276589130

top prospects Austin Riley and Kolby Allard unleashed their outstanding potential for Triple-A Gwinnett

Riley, MLB Pipeline's No. 77 overall prospect, blasted three home runs and collected a staggering eight RBIs in a 4-for-5 performance against the Norfolk Tides.

His offensive outburst provided Allard with plenty of run support, even if the Braves' No. 6 prospect didn't need it. Allard went eight innings and didn't allow a run. He scattered two hits around eight strikeouts and one walk. MLB Pipeline's No. 54 overall prospects threw 105 pitches, 74 for strikes, as he moved to 3-1 on the season.

biggdogg

Yeah, I think Bautista, regardless of how he performs over the next several weeks, will be sporting different threads sometime in July. Riley is coming in a hurry.

Patriot44

Banned
Three teams in the majors with a better win pct than the Bravo's and one is by .004%.

We get a good closer and things are looking bright. Halfway through May! :cool:

DannyW

Hopefully they have turned a corner. The sample size is getting more significant, but after losing more than 90 games a year for the past 3 years, a 40 game sample size don't seem like nearly enough.

I mean, the Braves are on a pace to win 100 games this season...what could possibly go wrong? :rofl:

Coenen

Hopefully they have turned a corner. The sample size is getting more significant, but after losing more than 90 games a year for the past 3 years, a 40 game sample size don't seem like nearly enough.

I mean, the Braves are on a pace to win 100 games this season...what could possibly go wrong? :rofl:
Look at the track records of the other teams that have recently rebuilt the same way as the Braves. The Braves' results this year are in line with what other organizations have experienced.

There will be some regression, which is to be expected with the young players, but what we are seeing now is the product, not the process.

DannyW

There will be some regression, which is to be expected with the young players, but what we are seeing now is the product, not the process.

That's a good way to state it, and hopefully the product will be worth the wait.

I tend to be a little cynical about the Braves having followed them since I was a 9 YO when they came to town in 1966. When I got my drivers license in the early 1970’s I used to buy 50 cent tickets and go watch the Braves play on Sunday afternoons along with about 400-500 other true fans. I was sitting in the very last row in the left field seats the night Hank Aaron hit #715. The commemorative poster they handed out to the fans that night is still around somewhere. I attended both Dale Murphy’s retirement nights…the one here in Atlanta and the one at Mile High Stadium in Denver. I had tickets to every one of the playoff and world series games played in Atlanta during that magical 1991 season…I couldn’t really afford them but at the time I thought it might be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I guess you have to label me a lifelong Atlanta Braves fan. I have been there through the good, and the bad…and trust me there has been plenty of bad. Most people never experienced it but their first 25 years were every bit as bad as the last 25 years have been good. I’m a true fan, but also a practical one when it comes to the Braves. That’s why I’m hopeful, but at the same time a little cynical, about the season this year.

BornToHuntAndFish

Nice makeup game road win, even if the bullpen almost gave away the game again like yesterday's game. Braves' bats were alive delivering all scoring with HR's.

Albies' 13-HR's is tied with Betts, Harper, Machado, & Ramirez for most HR's in MLB at web link below:

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.j...241&sortColumn=hr&sortOrder='desc'&extended=0

Time = 2:47

Braves homer three times in 6-5 win vs. Cubs: 5/14/18

MLB

Published on May 14, 2018

Daily Recap: Ozzie Albies, Tyler Flowers, and Jose Bautista homered for the Braves, as they held off the Cubs' rally in the 9th for the win

Braves tweets:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The best record in the National League?<br><br>The Atlanta @Braves ?? pic.twitter.com/0NWzXRQbNO</p>— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) May 14, 2018</blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was the fourth career leadoff homer for @albiesozzie97, third of the season and his second at Wrigley Field.

#Braves back in front courtesy of a 2-run blast from Tyler Flowers!

.@JoeyBats19 launches a 3-run blast to left and the #Braves take a 6-4 lead!

Including 2 so far today, Ozzie Albies has 28 extra-base hits in the @Braves' first 40 games this season.

The only other Braves player with that many XBH through the team's 1st 40 games of a season in the Live Ball Era (since 1920) was Hank Aaron, who had 30 in 1959.

RECAP: Bautista's go-ahead homer lifts #Braves over Cubs.

DdMKWvPX4AABDMa.jpg

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=380514116

Box Score:

1st - Albies homered to right (407 feet).

3rd - Flowers homered to center (371 feet), Markakis scored.

5th - Bautista homered to left (367 feet), Markakis and Flowers scored.

Patriot44

Banned
Look at the track records of the other teams that have recently rebuilt the same way as the Braves. The Braves' results this year are in line with what other organizations have experienced.

Correct, this is what it looks like when you are using your farm system correctly and not going out and buying Upton's or an Uggla.

biggdogg

Correct, this is what it looks like when you are using your farm system correctly and not going out and buying Upton's or an Uggla.

Or trading the farm for a Texiera...

Coenen

The Uggla signing was so strange. Given the guy's body of work who could know he'd just fall off a cliff like that? Same thing happened with Nate McLouth, 20/20 guy his whole career, signs with Atlanta and forgets how to hit.

Trying to "buy" championships was popular across the league, but the results juat weren't there. Even the Yankees couldn't really pull it off. The Nats haven't made it work. Neither have the Dodgers. I used to really know the break down of teams that went for broke in free agency and actually won a title as a result, I think there were only 2 successful WS runs in 15 years or something silly like that.

biggdogg

The Uggla signing was so strange. Given the guy's body of work who could know he'd just fall off a cliff like that? Same thing happened with Nate McLouth, 20/20 guy his whole career, signs with Atlanta and forgets how to hit.

Trying to "buy" championships was popular across the league, but the results juat weren't there. Even the Yankees couldn't really pull it off. The Nats haven't made it work. Neither have the Dodgers. I used to really know the break down of teams that went for broke in free agency and actually won a title as a result, I think there were only 2 successful WS runs in 15 years or something silly like that.

1997 Marlins are the last team I can think of that bought a World Series title through free agency. Pretty much destroyed any fan loyalty with the fire sale the following season.

BornToHuntAndFish

Watch the Braves Game for Free Tonight

In case you have not seen it & may be interested . . .

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Out of market? You can watch us play the Cubs FREE on @MLBTV, pres. by @TMobile: https://t.co/7pK047qcH9 pic.twitter.com/VIhIkhdqZi</p>— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) May 15, 2018</blockquote>

or

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.@Cubs look to bounce back vs. @albiesozzie97 and the @Braves at 7:35pm ET – FREE on #MLBTV, pres. by @TMobile. https://t.co/9RgcVDkP5k pic.twitter.com/kWXIn2J94c</p>— MLB.TV (@MLBTV) May 15, 2018</blockquote>

OR

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/?&affiliateId=MEGAMENU&partnerId=sf88476250&sf88476250=1

MLB.TV Media Center

May 15, 2018

Cubs vs. Braves

Free Game of the Day

7:35 PM ET @ SunTrust Park

MLB.TV: CHC: CSNC ATL: FSSO

Audio: CHC: WSCR ATL: 1600 AM 680 AM

:bounce:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.