missing bear hunter

j_seph

As a backpacker I can see some very good advice in your response. I bought a nice fancy "tactical" flashlight. It works good in a perfect environment. Get it a little damp or cold and it's useless.
I guess you are saying "a man has to know his limitations."
Last time I was deep in the mountains waiting to go to sleep, I thought, how would I ever get out of here in an emergency?

Once I was taking my 90 year old Dad canoeing for a few days and nights and said to Mom, "what if something happens to Dad in the middle of the night?"
She said he would be doing what he likes and not to worry about it.

So in one way I guess we can only prepare as best as we can, take precautions, be prepared, etc. but if we die, at least we were doing what we like.

One can't just sit at home because he may not make it out of the woods alive. I know this isn't what you are saying and I totally agree with your advise. Especially let someone know where you are. Don't let the hunt overcome your limitations, etc.

There is a balance to each and every outdoor activity. We can learn from our trips as well as those of others. The good ones and the bad ones.

For me it's a fear of kidney stones deep in the woods in the middle of the night. We each have our personal fears.
My Grandpa was found leaned up against a big oak tree, some squirrels hanging from his side and his shotgun across his lap.

robert carter

Prayers for this Mans Family. We all have to cross that creek at some time or other. The best advice I can give is be ready and at peace with your maker and chase a full life !RC

Killer Kyle

My Grandpa was found leaned up against a big oak tree, some squirrels hanging from his side and his shotgun across his lap.

Jseph, that is exactly how I want to go! That or...
Often I tell people that if I die, I hope I'm killed by a massive bear. I hope I go out swinging like Chuck Liddell and rocking that bear with heavy blows fist after fist. I hope I beat him to a pulp while he kills me, and I hope his carcass is found next to mine. I hope like fifteen people witness it too, so that I can go out like a freaking legend. That's all I ask.

Last edited:

The mtn man

I once had a neighbor that was turkey hunting with his son, the son was in his 40s at the time and had called his dad a gobbler in, when the old man shot the gobbler he ran up to it as best he could, but his foot on its head until it quit flopping, then sat down and leaned up against a tree, right then and there had a massive heart attack and passed . The son said his dad never said a word.