Why show ads to paying customers?

kNocked

If I pay for a subscription to GON magazine, why do you also show me all these crappy ads all over the site?

I would think you would give the people (at least) that already pay your bills a break.

Just my opinion.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The adds are there to help defray the rather considerable expense of the website that was carried for many years by GON magazine without the benefit of any reimbursement.

The Forum began as a private bulletin board owned and funded by Mr Woody Coffee of Woody's Taxidermy. There came a point where the effort became too large for Mr. Coffee. GON saw the value of this forum to the members, many of whom are not GON subscribers, and stepped in with the resources necessary to keep it going.

The operation and moderation of the forum has, with very few exceptions, been left up to the volunteer staff. The addition of the adds is a fairly recent development but you should know that since you became a member here well before there were any adds.

For the benefit of others who might have joined more recently a history of the Forum can be found here:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=15717

If you don't like the adds you should install an add blocker. It works.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=15504

and

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=15717

Possum

Banned
There are ads in the magazine as well if you didn’t notice

kNocked

It would be an easy task to show ads to members that do not already pay for the magazine, and leave the Asian dating site ads for those that do not already pay.

It would also be an incentive for those without a subscription to get one.

Just my $.02.

kNocked

Feedback?

You are complaining about "normal" type advertising? Ha wow.

You can call it a 'complaint' if you'd like, but if you'll notice, this is the Feedback and Suggestion forum. It isn't the "Positive Feedback Only" forum, right?

It's not like I posted it in the Deer Hunting forum. I thought it might not have been considered, so I'm suggesting it.

I think it's a good idea. You obviously disagree.

Have a nice day.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It takes at least a minute and a half and $0 to download and install Adblock Plus. I haven't seen an ad in years.

brandon

Administrator
It would be an easy task to show ads to members that do not already pay for the magazine, and leave the Asian dating site ads for those that do not already pay.

It would also be an incentive for those without a subscription to get one.

Just my $.02.
I appreciate your feedback! Your points are very valid.

For what it's worth, we don't have the ability to implement your suggestion at this time because the forum site is completely separate from the magazine site (so the forum software doesn't know who subscribes to the magazine). It's something we discuss often and hope to address soon, so while I don't know exactly what the future holds, I do expect there will be changes coming.

Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it.

Brandon