Snares vs leg hold

Lilly001

So I don't do much trapping. I used to in my youth, but I allow it on my land but don't participate myself.
I am having a discussion with a neighbor about trapping on my land.
He wants to use snares for coyotes. I prefer leg holds because you can release non target animals like dogs.
He says he can set the snares up so he can release also.
Is he correct?
My main concern is not killing the local dogs that tend to stray on to my land.

SemperFi

In Georgia snares must be placed within 10 ft of the water or in the water and may only be used for beaver.

Lilly001

Ok. That answers my question.
Thanks.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Should tell you all you need to know about him as a trapper

BINGO !!!!! That is pretty much what I was thinking as I read the original post. :hair::hair::hair:

I really don't know much of anything about trapping either BUT I do know that it would be illegal using snares to catch coyotes.

CritterCatcher

I would like to see cable restraints legalized for predators, but right now they are not. Real trappers follow all laws whether we like them or not.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I love when people call snares "cable restraints" to make them sound all politically correct and harmless. Lol.

Kind of like "harvesting" deer instead of killing them, or the county instituting a new "convenience fee" instead of a tax, or owning a "semi-automatic sporting rifle" instead of an AR-15.

I would like to see snares be made legal, too. They are simple and effective. I don't know about those "cable restraints," though.

mossyoakpro

I love when people call snares "cable restraints" to make them sound all politically correct and harmless. Lol.

Kind of like "harvesting" deer instead of killing them, or the county instituting a new "convenience fee" instead of a tax, or owning a "semi-automatic sporting rifle" instead of an AR-15.

I would like to see snares be made legal, too. They are simple and effective. I don't know about those "cable restraints," though.

Snares kill and cable restraints have a slide on them that hold around the neck much like a trap on the leg...there is a difference actually.

They are both illegal for use in GA for anything but Mr Beaver....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Snares kill and cable restraints have a slide on them that hold around the neck much like a trap on the leg...there is a difference actually.

They are both illegal for use in GA for anything but Mr Beaver....

Translation: you can set the lock on a snare up different ways to make it either kill or hold. I am very familiar with snares and traps, by the way.

mossyoakpro

Translation: you can set the lock on a snare up different ways to make it either kill or hold. I am very familiar with snares and traps, by the way.

Not trying to be a know it all....heaven knows I'm not. Some folks would not know there is a difference. (Like the fella who started the thread) Trappers get a bad enough reputation as it is. I have been blasted on social media from folks who I thought were friends and conservation minded and understood what trapping was used for....I have basically gone underground with anything trapping related now. I only post on private sites that I know the idiots do not have access to.

Tight chains bro!!

Lilly001

Wow!
I thought this forum was for an exchange of information from like minded friends.
And while I admit my ignorance about current Ga trapping laws I think I am far from an idiot.
I often find that the prevailing attitude about a hunting related subject has more to do with the traditions in the area than objective evaluations.
Kinda like asking a Pennsylvanian about Sunday hunting. The rest of the world sees no issue but some of them would go to war over it.
You all need to chill the better than thou attitude and just be the knowledge resource you could be.
JMTC.

across the river

Wow!
I thought this forum was for an exchange of information from like minded friends.
And while I admit my ignorance about current Ga trapping laws I think I am far from an idiot.
I often find that the prevailing attitude about a hunting related subject has more to do with the traditions in the area than objective evaluations.
Kinda like asking a Pennsylvanian about Sunday hunting. The rest of the world sees no issue but some of them would go to war over it.
You all need to chill the better than thou attitude and just be the knowledge resource you could be.
JMTC.

Where on here has anyone called you an idiot? You asked a question, people answered, and I don't see anything anyone posted to get offended about. If your skin is that thin, I would recommend trying to go about finding answers to my questions a different way.

Lilly001

"Should tell you all that you need to know about him as a trapper"
I guess I'm being thin skinned about a rude inference to a friend who offered to help me out to no benefit of his own.
The poster has no idea as to the circumstances, yet chose to disparage him.
I'm just saying, and I admit I'm in the same bag, we tend to read in to post and sometimes snipe from the leisure of our arm chairs.
Thank you to all who gave good advise. And, I understand, to the rest.

mr otter

Not trying to be a know it all....heaven knows I'm not. Some folks would not know there is a difference. (Like the fella who started the thread) Trappers get a bad enough reputation as it is. I have been blasted on social media from folks who I thought were friends and conservation minded and understood what trapping was used for....I have basically gone underground with anything trapping related now. I only post on private sites that I know the idiots do not have access to.

Tight chains bro!!
Hillbilly is correct same thing different name. I make my own snares an I can crimp a stop on them to keep them from closing up or put a break away lock on them so deer can get loose...if you want to argue bout it NC and I can post trapping pics that will hurt your feelings ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hillbilly is correct same thing different name. I make my own snares an I can crimp a stop on them to keep them from closing up or put a break away lock on them so deer can get loose...if you want to argue bout it NC and I can post trapping pics that will hurt your feelings ?
I ain't arguin', and you won't hurt my feelings. Snares are very effective, and I think it's a durn shame that they are illegal for most applications in most states. They are versatlie, and they work. I just refuse to call them "cable restraints" to appease the liberals. :bounce: