Sometimes you win - Sometimes the shark wins.

Scallen2112

Well, bummer. Saturday started off really well. The water was fairly calm, and we found a school of pogies almost imediately. Filled the baitwell in one cast. Turned around and there was a shrimp boat pulling nets just a half mile away. Perfect. Drifted in behind him and picked up a small dusky within a couple of minutes. Let him go and the repositioned behind him again and the wife hooked up with a decent blacktip. Unfortunately, that was the last fish of the day. I very stupidly pulled the rod way too high and grabbed the leader (without gloves - duh) too close to the top. When he flipped and dove, it not only snapped the rod, but ripped the leader down in my hand and into the braid. 11 stitches.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rabun

Ouch! Hope all heals well and glad you still have all your digits!

Question...when you are approaching to fish behind a dragging shrimp boat, how close/far behind it do you actually get when you drop baits? Also, do you communicate with the shrimp boat captain when using this technique?

Scallen2112

Ouch! Hope all heals well and glad you still have all your digits!

Question...when you are approaching to fish behind a dragging shrimp boat, how close/far behind it do you actually get when you drop baits? Also, do you communicate with the shrimp boat captain when using this technique?

I don't usually call the captain because I am VERY respectful, to the point of being overly cautious, of where his nets are. You will see the lines going into the water and can judge the leading edge of the net by the angle of the lines and the water depth. You will also see dolphins diving down behind the boat. That will be where the excluder device in the net is, which is usually just before the narrow pouch that holds the shrimp. I usually come in a good 75-100 yards behind the dolphins and just drift. I could probably get closer without risking their nets, but I just don't. There are plenty of sharks back there.

Rabun

I don't usually call the captain because I am VERY respectful, to the point of being overly cautious, of where his nets are. You will see the lines going into the water and can judge the leading edge of the net by the angle of the lines and the water depth. You will also see dolphins diving down behind the boat. That will be where the excluder device in the net is, which is usually just before the narrow pouch that holds the shrimp. I usually come in a good 75-100 yards behind the dolphins and just drift. I could probably get closer without risking their nets, but I just don't. There are plenty of sharks back there.

Thank you for the info and advice. I have approached a couple shrimp boats but wasn't sure of the protocol or how far away I should stay. Your info helps...appreciate it!

UncleBuzz

ouch, hope that heals up soon. Ive heard plenty of horror stories about grabbing braid with a big fish on the line. I usually don't grab for line until I can get close enough to grab leader. cable and 1000 lb mono are a little more forgiving on the hands

Scallen2112

LOL...not quite that bad. The stitches are still in, but I was back out Thursday. Mostly so some buddies could fish, but I pulled a couple sharks in myself.

Rabun

You the man! Reminds me of Tyler on Wicked Tuna....back out fishing after having his finger sewen back on.