The New Hands free law, I think it is too restrictive, What do yall Think??

holton27596

i look at it simply, in over 50 years i have yet to encounter a situation where I "needed" or "had to have" a cell phone. Ive handled everything just fine including several emergencies. and for those who claim it is "just for emergencies" Im still not on 911 down here in the swamp, so it would do me no good to call them.

transfixer

I'm self employed, as a freelance automotive tech, I provide my services to various automotive repair shops, a cell phone is a necessity for my business, so I'll have to figure out a way to handle calls when I'm going to and from different shops, hopefully the handsfree device will suffice.

hunter rich

Talking to a passenger is just as distracting. Drinking a cup of coffee or eating some fries too. I almost never drive with both hands on the wheel unless the traffic is crazy or the weather is, in which case I wouldn't be messing with my phone anyway.

:cheers:

tcward

If I'm not mistaken texting and driving is already illegal, and it hasn't stopped anyone from texting , or facebooking, or whatever, its just another law on the books that won't serve much purpose, City departments or GSP will be the only ones trying to enforce it, most county sheriffs depts. don't care to write traffic tickets, they want to catch real criminals, they concentrate on drug possessions, outstanding warrants , etc, if they see a sketchy looking vehicle they might use the phone thing as an excuse to pull someone over, just to see what else they might stumble onto, but virtually none of them will write a ticket for just that, unless you're a jerk to them.
This^ Just like adding another gun law....

someguyintraffic

Useless law. They cant enforce it. How many people you see stopped for it now? Saw a cop in a cruiser on his phone today. Another piece of bogus legislation by Deal.

GoldDot40

Us truck drivers have been abiding to hands free laws for several years now. I have a Galaxy Note 8 paired with a Blue Parrot 350 which has a background noise canceling microphone. Yes, you can answer and end a call by simply reaching up and touching a button on the headset. I can also redial the last number I called by touching a button on the headset. My conversations are clear as a bell on both ends.

I also have voice recognition activated on my phone through both Google voice and the built-in Bixby voice feature. Either feature can wake up the phone and unlock it on a verbal command. I can then tell my phone to dial numbers and also text people 100% hands free. It will even read texts back to me.

I've had a few bluetooth devices which all had the option of answering and ended calls via a button on the earpiece or headset. Not the end of the world folks. Most municipal judges and traffic LEOs will be quick to remind you that driving is a privilege and not a right....meaning they can impose just about any traffic law they want without infringing on any "rights".

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Us truck drivers have been abiding to hands free laws for several years now. I have a Galaxy Note 8 paired with a Blue Parrot 350 which has a background noise canceling microphone. Yes, you can answer and end a call by simply reaching up and touching a button on the headset. I can also redial the last number I called by touching a button on the headset. My conversations are clear as a bell on both ends.

I also have voice recognition activated on my phone through both Google voice and the built-in Bixby voice feature. Either feature can wake up the phone and unlock it on a verbal command. I can then tell my phone to dial numbers and also text people 100% hands free. It will even read texts back to me.

I've had a few bluetooth devices which all had the option of answering and ended calls via a button on the earpiece or headset. Not the end of the world folks. Most municipal judges and traffic LEOs will be quick to remind you that driving is a privilege and not a right....meaning they can impose just about any traffic law they want without infringing on any "rights".
It is a revenue generating law. Nothing more. It won't reduce the number of distracted driving accidents and fatalities and in fact may increase them.

95g atl

Something needs to be done and is/was long overdue.
Seems every time I get into a vehicle, someone is driving like a fool, and in some capacity - usually they are messing around with their phone.

Old folks (sorry to some fellas out there) seem to drive really slow when they are on the phone. Black folks (mostly the woman) have their phones in their hand and are either talking or texting with the phone up really high (esp around the 285 area). The kids try and be sneaking about it when they are texting. And 25-50% of misc folks are on the phone messing around when we are stopped at a long traffic light.

It is going to be a HUGE money maker for GA law enforcement !!!

Guess we are going to see how this turns out and if lawmakers will make modifications to the new law - in time.

MudDucker

Staff member
Don't think it will do anything but raise money. I don't understand why you aren't allowed to have internet music playing, if hands free. Seems over the top.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Accidents will be happening soon. People pulling over to use the phone on the way home. Rearenders to be going up.

dport7

Disclaimer: A few years ago my wife and daughter were rear ended by a driver who never even touched their brakes and admitted they were texting at the time of impact at 45 MPH. My family was okay, although our van was totaled, but I admit I am a little biased on the subject.

I also was rear ended two years ago, by a person texting. He was doing 45 m.p.h, An eye witness pulled over and said he never saw brake lights. I've timed it out, since I drive it often. that was more than 12 seconds, yes off the road.

7Mag Hunter

we just got a bluetooth speaker device that clips to sunvisor and has 3 built in speakers and can also use car speakers for better sound....automatically turns off when car is parked and reconnects when door is open..we both have our phones connected...

just push a button to make a call, and say who u want to call, and say "answer" for incoming cell call....so far so good....

Artfuldodger

Something needs to be done and is/was long overdue.
Seems every time I get into a vehicle, someone is driving like a fool, and in some capacity - usually they are messing around with their phone.

Then you got young black boys driving from the middle of the car, young white boys whose trucks are so lowered in the back they can't so over the hood, and young people of all color listening to loud dirty rap music with their windows down.

95g atl

Then you got young black boys driving from the middle of the car, young white boys whose trucks are so lowered in the back they can't so over the hood, and young people of all color listening to loud dirty rap music with their windows down.
driving in the middle of the car - lol lol lol ---- so true!!!!
Oh my, the loud rap music is ridiculous. That right there should be banned, ticketed, fined, and speakers shot on site. (well, that might be extreme).

Very irritating when I have my windows up and i still have to hear obnoxious music a few cars away sitting at a long red light.

Local PD tells me there is not much they can do. I said, yeah you can. Pull them over and run through the list. Certainly there is a violation somewhere.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
driving in the middle of the car - lol lol lol ---- so true!!!!
Oh my, the loud rap music is ridiculous. That right there should be banned, ticketed, fined, and speakers shot on site. (well, that might be extreme).

Very irritating when I have my windows up and i still have to hear obnoxious music a few cars away sitting at a long red light.

Local PD tells me there is not much they can do. I said, yeah you can. Pull them over and run through the list. Certainly there is a violation somewhere.
I usually turn my bluegrass up to maxxxxxxx.They look and then turn theirs down.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was driving for 30 years before I ever got a cell phone. I will be OK.

GoldDot40

It is a revenue generating law. Nothing more. It won't reduce the number of distracted driving accidents and fatalities and in fact may increase them.
Regardless of how many studies we read about saying one way or another if these laws work or not, I can only speak about my personal observations watching other people from the driver's seat of a tractor-trailer.

Just because you can multitask while driving...and I can...doesn't mean everybody can. I am a Smith System Defensive Driving instructor at my job. I know a little bit about it. I can tell you more people than not have zero business trying to interact with their vehicle's radio, much less a phone while driving down the road. I average 350-400 miles per day and I'm always observing drivers around me. Some of the stuff I see people attempting to do while driving leaves me speechless sometimes.

Looking at a phone to read or send a text averages 4.6 seconds. At 55 mph, that's the time it takes to cover the length of a football field. A lot can happen in 100 yards if somebody isn't paying attention. Time will tell whether or not it makes a difference. If not, we are all certainly free to express our displeasure with our elected lawmakers and have it changed.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Regardless of how many studies we read about saying one way or another if these laws work or not, I can only speak about my personal observations watching other people from the driver's seat of a tractor-trailer.

Just because you can multitask while driving...and I can...doesn't mean everybody can. I am a Smith System Defensive Driving instructor at my job. I know a little bit about it. I can tell you more people than not have zero business trying to interact with their vehicle's radio, much less a phone while driving down the road. I average 350-400 miles per day and I'm always observing drivers around me. Some of the stuff I see people attempting to do while driving leaves me speechless sometimes.

Looking at a phone to read or send a text averages 4.6 seconds. At 55 mph, that's the time it takes to cover the length of a football field. A lot can happen in 100 yards if somebody isn't paying attention. Time will tell whether or not it makes a difference. If not, we are all certainly free to express our displeasure with our elected lawmakers and have it changed.
I understand perfectly well the dangers of driving and using a cell phone. My point is, and will prove to stand, this law will do nothing to curtail the use of cell phones while driving and in fact the most blatant offenders will try harder to conceal it, taking their vision further from the road causing more serious accidents than we had before.

We already have a distracted driving law on the books. Like you, I've seen a multitude of violators on the road daily, and not all are relegated to cell phone use. I will say it again, all this law does in generate revenue. It won't lessen the frequency nor severity of accidents from distracted driving and most likely will make them worse.

In other words, it is a stupid law and a money grab.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I hope they grab a bunch of money from all those stupid jerks who have a 3 to 5 second delay after the car in front of them goes or the light turns green before they put their cell phone down and decide to move!