Idaho Elk anyone?

Budda

Driving out to hunt elk and mule deer the last bit of September. Anyone on here wanna drive out wit me and get yer kill on?

Huntmaster2

I would love to, but college always get in the way of hunting season! Are you doing OTC for deer and elk?

baddave

is that you in the avatar?:LOL:

baddave

no sir -- not me --- uh uh--:p

plumber_1969

Budda I'd be up this year but w are in New Mexico on cow only tags but we are elk hunting! Last year in Colorado was a blast!

Budda

Big trip planned to Idaho with 4 of us going. Should put some meat in the freezer.

shdw633

What he said^^^!! Tell us of your adventure!!

Budda

How did the trip go Budda?

Srry, i dont get on here as much as i usd to. 4 of us went out fer bow and there was a mob of people in the area we was hunting which was abnormal fer the area. we saw plenty of critters. Elk, bears, muleys, lions etc.

We hunted mostly public land but two days we hunted private and got into the elk hard those days. i missed a spike bull and then called in a Lion. Feller i was huting with shot at it wit his pistol and missed. bout 2 hours later and a mile further in, we had a herd coming in and then they blew outta there like a frieght train. then i see a critter skirting the edge above me. It was a bigger lion than the first. I shot 45 yards as it was sitting down staring at me. I hit it in the chest and it run further out the ridge into some thick avalanche area. PLenty of blood but it was right at dark so we backed out. next morning there was 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground. we lookd fer about 4 hours but didnt find him. Called in another lion the last nigt but it only made it about 100 yards and then winded us. All total we collectively had 6 bulls within range, a few herds of cows, a few muley does, a couple small muley bucks and 2 lions. within 100 yards but out of bow range was another lion, a few more elk and a few more muleys, 1 being about 180 inches.

I went back out in novemebr for a cow only hunt and got one. the landowner who had the place i shot the lion on found a dead lion the end of october. it was about 100 yards from where i last saw it go out of site. he give me the skull. kilt the cow that trip at 30 yards wit a 7wsm. i might go again this fall if drawn fer a rifle tag. prolly wont go wit a bow since i got three other big hunts planned fer this fall.

Boys and girls, you only live once so git out there if you want to. dont procrastinat an figure you will go sometime err you might not ever git to. you dont live forever.

Big7

The Oracle
What does OTC mean?
Over The Counter? How do you know you will get a tag? That would be way less than I had figured out west and a lot more than Alaska. I had a trip planned about 10 years ago and the two guys that were going to split expenses bailed. I don't think it would be much fun alone. Runs the cost up 3 fold too. That's just more than I want to pay.

I'd like to go if a couple of folks would go and split expenses. I'm 55 and retired. I can leave on a dime, ready to go.

cowhornedspike

What does OTC mean?
Over The Counter? How do you know you will get a tag? That would be way less than I had figured out west and a lot more than Alaska. I had a trip planned about 10 years ago and the two guys that were going to split expenses bailed. I don't think it would be much fun alone. Runs the cost up 3 fold too. That's just more than I want to pay.

I'd like to go if a couple of folks would go and split expenses. I'm 55 and retired. I can leave on a dime, ready to go.

I've been on several western hunts for elk, mule deer, antelope etc. and the best advice I can give you is to find ONE hunter who you can count on and go. Three is too many and 4 is waaay too many.

Don't plan on going "some day" because that never gets here...go now!