44 Mag For Deer Hunting?

krizia829

Hey everyone!

My grandfather recently handed down to me his Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine! I would like to keep it exactly as it was given to me with iron sights and leather sling. Has anyone ever hunted deer with this rifle/caliber? If so, what was your outcome? Do you have any pics?

We have a couple of stands in our lease with close shots and would love to use it there but I don't know how effective (accuracy & damage) that caliber would be on whitetail.

I attached a google image of the model he gave me as I didn't have a chance to take a picture of the actual gun. Let me know what you think!

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• 44carb.jpg
    44carb.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 38

FOLES55

My father and I will grab this exact setup occasionally and hit the deer woods with it. Its very DEADLY medicine and has made several harvest with no problems at all. Range is obviously limited, but we stick to hardwood ridges and small food plots.

Sorry no pictures to upload, but you wont be disappointed and your grandfather would feel honored to know that you made a harvest with it.

krizia829

My father and I will grab this exact setup occasionally and hit the deer woods with it. Its very DEADLY medicine and has made several harvest with no problems at all. Range is obviously limited, but we stick to hardwood ridges and small food plots.

Sorry no pictures to upload, but you wont be disappointed and your grandfather would feel honored to know that you made a harvest with it.

Awesome! Thank you! Is there any specific ammunition you recommend? I've been reading online that since it's tube fed, certain rounds cause problems with the gas and supposedly can cause another round to go off if it's a pointed bullet?

ryanh487

Awesome! Thank you! Is there any specific ammunition you recommend? I've been reading online that since it's tube fed, certain rounds cause problems with the gas and supposedly can cause another round to go off if it's a pointed bullet?

This rifle has a rotary mag, so there should be no issue with any bullets coming in contact with the primer of another live round.

Tipped/pointed bullets may have feed issues, since they tend to be a little longer than round nosed. Regardless, you will want an expanding round as required by law. Test a couple out for accuracy and feeding reliability. Or you could always just use the same as whatever grandpa used, assuming he had no issues. I don't have one, but those guns have killed a heap of deer. I want one in a bolt action, 77/44.

transfixer

I had one years ago and took quite a few with it, in my opinion its a great 50-75yd rifle, I know I used 240hp's and soft points in it. If you want through and through shots I'd stick with the soft points. They're great little rifles, I say little because they always felt small to me, but it will get the job done as long as you limit your range.

p.s. The value of those things have gone up in recent years also, they sell for 3 or 4 times more now than they did when they were new !

transfixer

This rifle has a rotary mag, so there should be no issue with any bullets coming in contact with the primer of another live round.77/44.

Those were tube fed rifles, at least the older ones were, so yes, you don't want any pointed rounds, although the polymer tipped ones would probably be okay? But I used to shoot Remington 240gr soft points, they have a flat nose, as the hollow points did as well, any good quality soft points will work

biggdogg

The one you have pictured has the rotary magazine like was mentioned earlier. Even with the tube fed model, you'll be fine as there aren't many pointed bullets in .44 mag anyway. You're going to want to use a soft point or maybe the Hornady Leverevolutions. You will do just fine with it no matter what you go with as long as it's a bullet designed for big game.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The one you have pictured has the rotary magazine like was mentioned earlier. Even with the tube fed model, you'll be fine as there aren't many pointed bullets in .44 mag anyway. You're going to want to use a soft point or maybe the Hornady Leverevolutions. You will do just fine with it no matter what you go with as long as it's a bullet designed for big game.

This. ^ It's a great short range carbine and it will get the job done. Your grandfather will be more than happy to see you take it to the woods.

krizia829

This rifle has a rotary mag, so there should be no issue with any bullets coming in contact with the primer of another live round.

Tipped/pointed bullets may have feed issues, since they tend to be a little longer than round nosed. Regardless, you will want an expanding round as required by law. Test a couple out for accuracy and feeding reliability. Or you could always just use the same as whatever grandpa used, assuming he had no issues. I don't have one, but those guns have killed a heap of deer. I want one in a bolt action, 77/44.

The one he gave me is the tube fed version, not the rotary magazine. It is bottom fed like a shotgun which is why I was curious. He unfortunately hasn't shot it in years so I wouldn't doubt it if what he used is discontinued :/

krizia829

I had one years ago and took quite a few with it, in my opinion its a great 50-75yd rifle, I know I used 240hp's and soft points in it. If you want through and through shots I'd stick with the soft points. They're great little rifles, I say little because they always felt small to me, but it will get the job done as long as you limit your range.

p.s. The value of those things have gone up in recent years also, they sell for 3 or 4 times more now than they did when they were new !

Awesome thank you! I will be keeping it though even if it goes up 10x in price lol.. It has too much sentimental value to sell and I made a promise to my grandfather that neither this rifle or the other 2 guns he's given me I will get rid of. They will some day belong to my baby girl. Hopefully she likes hunting!

krizia829

I didn't realize it did! I have the standard bottom fed version. Thanks for the info! I will give the Leverrevolutions a try!

krizia829

Those were tube fed rifles, at least the older ones were, so yes, you don't want any pointed rounds, although the polymer tipped ones would probably be okay? But I used to shoot Remington 240gr soft points, they have a flat nose, as the hollow points did as well, any good quality soft points will work

I will take a look at those rounds and anything similar to it. Thank you! Good to know I can take a nice deer down with it :)

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Everyone that see’s it will want to buy it and anything you hit with it falls over soon after. You might like a scope on it though and it can handle a pile of max loads.

Hillbilly stalker

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 37

krizia829

Everyone that see’s it will want to buy it and anything you hit with it falls over soon after. You might like a scope on it though and it can handle a pile of max loads.

Lol I bet! I wanted it as soon as I first saw it a few years ago! Any scope you recommend for that rifle/caliber?

krizia829

I have used mine for still hunting/ stalking hogs. I've killed a lot with it. Killed several deer also. Great little rifles for close up follow up shots. I've turned down a lot of offers for mine. You can't hardly find one and they are usually $600 and up. Don't shoot un jacketed rounds in http://forum.gon.com/attachments/image-jpeg.935367/?hash=392c570bc8fe40f9eb526742de63b67a

Wow! Nice hog!! I like the set up you got! Which scope is the one you have mounted? From what I see it's a Nikon but can't tell which model.. Which scope base do you have as well? Being that they stopped production in '85, I wouldn't know what's available/interchangeable for it..

Possum

Banned
I shot (at) my first deer with that same gun. Borrowed from my dads friend in 1997 or 98.

Now I have a lever action .44mag with a scope. They are good for close range thicket hunting.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Lol I bet! I wanted it as soon as I first saw it a few years ago! Any scope you recommend for that rifle/caliber?

Well Leupold of course. Those scope mount screws on the ruger 44 are different than any I’ve found except they matched the cva mag bolt. I made the mistake of trading away my mount screws.
Really any old scope will do as mine has a really tall front sight causing the back sight to be more accurate when laid down or flipped up for long range.
Scope it and you won’t need the other four bullets.

Hillbilly stalker

Wow! Nice hog!! I like the set up you got! Which scope is the one you have mounted? From what I see it's a Nikon but can't tell which model.. Which scope base do you have as well? Being that they stopped production in '85, I wouldn't know what's available/interchangeable for it..
My rifle is one of the older ones. It has the side cut out (factory) for a older Williams rear sight. I mounted mine with a Nikon Pro staff 3x9x 40. Mine used a 2 piece weaver rail.