Where would you buy land in Georgia?

Huntmaster2

That’s the truth there and if everything doesn’t go right your dogging pretty heavenly into that 4%.
Yeah timber just doesn't seem to be the best investment for me. On the other hand, it looks pretty difficult to find a place that will actually cash flow with farm rent, but my main goal will not be to make money.

I may be better off just looking for a place that is better for hunting. I guess the appreciation as a hunting property could be pretty valuable if I have big bucks and decide to sell?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Yeah timber just doesn't seem to be the best investment for me. On the other hand, it looks pretty difficult to find a place that will actually cash flow with farm rent, but my main goal will not be to make money.

I may be better off just looking for a place that is better for hunting. I guess the appreciation as a hunting property could be pretty valuable if I have big bucks and decide to sell?
Profitable timber management and deer food source management are difficult to acheive on the same property unless you have a few hundred acres or more.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
We all wish we could own 500 acres of prime deer habitat, sadly that's not reality. There are many factors in choosing hunting land, but the two most important for me seem to be: a good investment and big buck territory.

Considering those two factors, where would you choose to buy land balancing the two equally? Or would you chase one factor more heavily?

The investment part is a little tough to sort out, but some regions generally should have better potential at producing income from farming, timber... or just the potential to appreciate in value.

Given the choice I wouldn’t hunt deer in Georgia. There’s too many deer so ethically it’s wrong because there’s no challenge to it. Try maybe Dubai, not many deer so any you kill will surely be earned honorably.

Huntmaster2

Profitable timber management and deer food source management are difficult to acheive on the same property unless you have a few hundred acres or more.
That is a good point. If I had farm land to rent, I would also have food. It is pretty tough to get good food plots in pines in my experience.

Huntmaster2

After doing a little research, longleaf pines under the CRP seem to be a good option if I buy eligible land.

Does anyone have experience with longleaf and CRP?

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
The problem with long needle pine is once the trees get up in size if a bad frost comes along the weight will snap the trees in half and you will lose your harvest plus a mess to clean up.

woody10

After doing a little research, longleaf pines under the CRP seem to be a good option if I buy eligible land.

Does anyone have experience with longleaf and CRP?
I’ve looked into it. And might I add if going a timber route I would strongly suggest a long leaf even if not through the CRP programs if the conditions are favorable for them. Once it gets about 10 years old With the straw lease prices today 5 years of straw lease will yield you more clear money than just planting the timber and waiting on harvest and no timber tax.

Last edited:

glynr329

If I had the money to but land any where in Ga. I would buy land that borders BF Grant or Flint River management. I had a chance to buy land and bought land that borders Charlie Elliot. It is good but they shoot every deer that comes buy and very few get mature. I would rather bought next to Bf Grant that would be a dream come true.

rstallings1979

The ice storm of 2014 (I think 2014) snapped every longleaf pine down to Toombs county. Maybe not every one of them but it snapped a ton. Over a 25 year period I would suspect there's going to be a few ice storms that will affect the middle Ga and north Georgia area. That storm has kept me from planting longleaf over the last couple of plantings I have done. I am about to plant again in January/Feb and I going back with Loblolly just because of the fear of the ice.

Huntmaster2

The ice storm of 2014 (I think 2014) snapped every longleaf pine down to Toombs county. Maybe not every one of them but it snapped a ton. Over a 25 year period I would suspect there's going to be a few ice storms that will affect the middle Ga and north Georgia area. That storm has kept me from planting longleaf over the last couple of plantings I have done. I am about to plant again in January/Feb and I going back with Loblolly just because of the fear of the ice.
Thanks for the heads up! I was seriously looking at it. Would you go back with loblolly because they are cheaper? Or less susceptible to damage?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Southwest Georgia would be my pick too. Try to find land that borders one of the big farms or plantations. It is sometimes available, but it won`t be cheap. There`s a lot less chance of getting a subdivision built next to you in the near future.

SOWEGA is one of Georgia's best kept deer hunting secrets.wink.gifrockon.gif

oochee hunter

i hope this new poison for hogs doesnt get approved i dont trust that it want effect other animals and i dont want to see the hogs eradicated anyways its always funny hearing hunters say they want hogs gone but if that happened they compalin then as well
Good grief! You apparently don't have to contend with those devils.

hunt4em

N Ga just lost it's best asset of pay to play, poor quality big buck hunters will now kill the only population producer. They will get their meat doe now very easy while chasing the big guy they will never kill. I REALLY hope they drastically reduce the doe days to correlate with the corn rule. Anyone with a low deer population and "big buck" hunters knows it. I don't care your position on the ruling of legality, crappy deer hunters will succeed in N GA where it used to take effort. Daddy will make little to no effort to bring home the meat doe in a region where we don't need to kill ANY does. I'm sure there are some N GA properties that need thinning of the herd but it not common North of Macon into the mountains. Nathan Deal is probably getting a sweet sweet check from State Farm on this "Deal". The legalese guys may think this is a win but when every Tom Dick and Harry can corn in a 2 yo doe the population will crash just like State Farm paid Deal to make happen. I am ashamed no sportsmen with clout could do anything about it. Clearly the biologists didn't agree, can anyone tell me the GA DNR biologists agreed with this decision? CKillmaster? Surely not?
Who is this guy??? Is this the buck master elite himself??
N Ga just lost it's best asset of pay to play, poor quality big buck hunters will now kill the only population producer. They will get their meat doe now very easy while chasing the big guy they will never kill. I REALLY hope they drastically reduce the doe days to correlate with the corn rule. Anyone with a low deer population and "big buck" hunters knows it. I don't care your position on the ruling of legality, crappy deer hunters will succeed in N GA where it used to take effort. Daddy will make little to no effort to bring home the meat doe in a region where we don't need to kill ANY does. I'm sure there are some N GA properties that need thinning of the herd but it not common North of Macon into the mountains. Nathan Deal is probably getting a sweet sweet check from State Farm on this "Deal". The legalese guys may think this is a win but when every Tom Dick and Harry can corn in a 2 yo doe the population will crash just like State Farm paid Deal to make happen. I am ashamed no sportsmen with clout could do anything about it. Clearly the biologists didn't agree, can anyone tell me the GA DNR biologists agreed with this decision? CKillmaster? Surely not?
who is this guy??? is this the whitetail hunter elite pro staff biologist?? You should probably quit hunting because you are so ashamed . Come on man.....