.270 win guys step inside..

Gumpbuck

Asked a similar question last season. I counted all the results and the most popular round was Remington Core-lock.

Everyone claimed their round was accurate. Most claimed great expansion.

In the end, I have never had accuracy issues with any 270 round I have used. But I did have expansion issues with the expensive Federal ballistic tip stuff I was using.
For this coming season, I'm going with Core-Lock in the 150 grain.

Best wishes to everyone for a great season this year!

44magpastor

I've used several different bullets. I usually use Core-lokts, but I'm thinking about switching up. Last year, I hit a buck twice, low in shoulder. (No it was not in the leg) Neither bullet exited, left no blood trail, and I nearly lost him. After I had given up, and was walking back to my truck, when I just happened to jump him.

PappyHoel

Old school 130gr Silvertips.

If anyone has any or knows where some of them ..original Silvertips....are, please PM me. I would like to buy more if possible

Yep these...haven’t found a box going on 8 years

MYRX

Another vote for American Whitetail 130 grain interlock. In my younger days I reloaded, especially when I used to go out West. But these days, I use the above. I have been shooting a 270 since 1976.

jp94

Hornady Superformance in 130 or 140 grain SST have been great out of my M77 Ruger .270. I would give them a try if I was looking for a good overall round. I have killed bears, hogs, and deer with them.

fountain

Yes, I know the old Silvertips are discontinued. I'm hoping to run across some that someone is holding and wants to sell. There may be a more accurate round for my gun, but they have been killing for a long time out of it and it's really a sentimental deal with those old bullets that my grandfather put into me

DeucesWild

Hand rolled 130 grn Barnes TTSX and 140 Grn Nosler Partition and Accubonds have worked well for me over the years.

SCDieselDawg

I’ve killed a few deer with a .270 using the following ammo.
130 Nosler BT
130 Hornady SST
130 Core Lokt
150 Federal power shock.

Never had an issue with any of them. The 130 Hornady SST did produce some nasty wound channels. But they did not fail to exit.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Yes, I know the old Silvertips are discontinued. I'm hoping to run across some that someone is holding and wants to sell. There may be a more accurate round for my gun, but they have been killing for a long time out of it and it's really a sentimental deal with those old bullets that my grandfather put into me

Combined Technologies/Nosler makes that bullet. If you reload I may be able to round up some pulls for you. Not sure what gr they are. They were loaded with Remington primers and some misfired so they are all coming down.

red neck richie

Yup I use Remington core lokts 150 grain. Shot a deer in the neck at 200 yards that just stuck it out behind a pine tree. But haven't shot pass 200 yards.

Horns

I either use 130 grain Winchester Power Point or 130 grain Winchester Deer Season XP. I am really growing fond of those Deer Season XPs

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Silvertips are good until you have bitten down on a peice. Not so good anymore.
I like a pass through more and more every time.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

hikingthehills

Thinking about giving the hornady sst 130 a try. Seems most say they are pretty accurate in there rifle
This is the only bullet I shoot through mine, every deer/hog knock on wood has dropped with a quickness using these. I have hunted with these since they came out and won't even buy any other ammo. Looks like a hand grenade went off no matter what I've hit from 10 yards out to over 100. I haven't shot any further but I have faith they would do the same farther out.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Silvertips are good until you have bitten down on a peice. Not so good anymore.
I like a pass through more and more every time.

I think that could be said for any rapidly expanding bullet

I believe they are basically the same as Ballistic Tips except with the lube and a different color tip.