Academy may regret this move... wow.

nmurph

Look at it from Academy's standpoint: what if an employee tackles the wrong guy and during the fall, the guy suffers brain damage. I can see so many ways the action of an employee could go wrong. When the employee gets it right, as this employee did, and the employer looks bad. But change the outcome slightly and employer is facing a lawsuit.

MudDucker

Staff member
He did the right thing as a man, just not as an employee. He should have been given a stern warning and not have been fired. He took a thug off the street who admitted he wanted to kill people.

rosewood

I don't like the policy either, but many stores have the same policy. Best Buy, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot. They have to watch the thief walk out the door because of the policy. Had a friend who was former LEO work at Lowes as loss prevention manager. They wouldn't let him stop thieves. He finally quit and went back into LE.

This should be a similar policy as using fire extinguishers. No employer requires their employees to use one and it is your option to run or if you feel confident enough, you can use the extinguisher. Should be the same, if you feel confident in stopping the guy, we will let you do it, or you can let him walk if that makes you feel safer.

However, they really could have just disciplined him for breaking the policy, they didn't have to fire him. Week off without pay or something.

Rosewood

rosewood

One thing the company may have not considered. He may have saved a life or several lives by keeping this punk from getting away with a gun. That has to be worth something.

I however will continue to shop at Academy.

bullgator

Now that the policy is known, Academy may be liable for future gun thefts where the firearm was then used in a death. A death that could possibly have been prevented had it been stopped.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Look at it from Academy's standpoint: what if an employee tackles the wrong guy and during the fall, the guy suffers brain damage. I can see so many ways the action of an employee could go wrong. When the employee gets it right, as this employee did, and the employer looks bad. But change the outcome slightly and employer is facing a lawsuit.
According to the perp he is suing them .

transfixer

I don't know whether these ridiculous policies are due to the way our courts work ? or due to greedy lawyers? But many if not most retail stores have this policy, its utterly ridiculous ! To let a criminal get away with stealing anything will only cause the criminal to continue the same behavior ! I know Home Depot has fired people in the past for apprehending a thief, and so has Kroger, utter stupidity !

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
If I really stated what I felt like saying, I probably would not be a member here very long at all.

So, I will abbreviate it somewhat.

In a case such as this......."I have no idea just how a .40 caliber projectile made its way down-range and made contact right between the beady eyes of such a perp. It is now a shame that we have to sanitize this area and take out another load of trash and put it in the compactor" !!!!

NEXT ............

In case you haven't noticed, I don't put up with none of this garbage as I am NOT Politically Correct and never will be. I think that this employee should get a LARGE RAISE for his actions and the vultures should be picking the sorry carcass of this perp. I absolutely HATE a thief !!!

catch22

I live in Tallahassee and was going to Academy tonight. Im rethinking that now. I cant go to Dicks and now Academy has me wondering. Not sure where I will go to get my sporting goods. I recognize the guy from the times I have been in the store and I remember him being very helpful. While I understand "policy", as others have said, there should be some leniency with policy. As others mentioned, he may have saved 1 or many of lives with his actions.

If I owned a business I'd hire him immediately.

Core Lokt

It's sad what this country has become. It really is. The dirt bag admitted he was going to kill someone but lets all be afraid to be sued. I support the manager.

Tmpr111

I grew up there, and I'll go elsewhere now.

As for the policy, yep, it's a policy and he violated that - for sure. But he also did what I hope many others would do in that same scenario. Academy could've handled the discipline much differently, and should've.... I bet if this could've played out differently, and a child or innocent person been shot and killed with that gun, Academy would be taken heat on the other side for having the policy. Again, it should've been handled differently, the discipline. I'm sure this guy will find a great job very soon. Especially around those parts.

bilgerat

Senior
I wont be shopping at Academy anymore. I sent them a email letting them know why. I don't buy much of my sporting goods at box stores anyway, Id rather spend a little more and buy from local owned stores.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Yep. Company policy.

They have nothing to regret
Public confidence is very important in retail.If any crime was ever committed with that gun(perp stated to police he was going to kill someone and will steal another gun after he gets out of jail) after he left the store.Academy would be included in the lawsuit not to mention how many people agree with the managers actions.

rosewood

I guess we will need to stop shopping at all stores that have this same policy also......