2018-19 Little Creek Bucks

Long Cut

July 3rd 9:02PM is a HORSE.

Dave,
Have you ever compared your initial years of capturing photos & supplemental feeding to this years or years past?

If so have you noticed any significant antler growth & weight gain?

My deer seem to be much further along now compared to years past after feeding and utilizing minerals. Curious how significant this would be over multiple years.

davidhelmly

July 3rd 9:02PM is a HORSE.

Dave,
Have you ever compared your initial years of capturing photos & supplemental feeding to this years or years past?

If so have you noticed any significant antler growth & weight gain?

My deer seem to be much further along now compared to years past after feeding and utilizing minerals. Curious how significant this would be over multiple years.

Long Cut.

I have occasionally looked back and compared pictures and weights and there is a definite difference from when we started, that being said I cannot say that i see an antler and body weight increase every year over the next. I believe that mother nature has a lot to do with it, the amount of rain and temps control the amount of natural browse and also how well our plots do. The feeding we do certainly helps, especially in drought conditions but it definitely doesn't take the place of good plots and browse.

BCPbuckhunter

Long Cut.

I have occasionally looked back and compared pictures and weights and there is a definite difference from when we started, that being said I cannot say that i see an antler and body weight increase every year over the next. I believe that mother nature has a lot to do with it, the amount of rain and temps control the amount of natural browse and also how well our plots do. The feeding we do certainly helps, especially in drought conditions but it definitely doesn't take the place of good plots and browse.
That is exactly my observation. Deer will always grow better in wetter years because there is a lot better natural brows which creates the majority of a deer's diet no matter how much you try to feed. I try to tell people all the time to try to maximize your food plot planting before you try to do a feeding program. That's why it is called supplemental feeding because you are supplementing the deer's diet. Just like right now with all my summer plots kicking in and the rains we have had our deer are not hard on our feeders right now they will grab a few bites but my cameras are showing they are eating more so in the food plots right now. last month they would clean out 450 lbs of feed out of a single trough in less than 3 weeks and now they are probably only eating 50 lbs a week out of it. I always love seeing your pictures. You are doing it right. Good luck this season.

That is exactly my observation. Deer will always grow better in wetter years because there is a lot better natural brows which creates the majority of a deer's diet no matter how much you try to feed. I try to tell people all the time to try to maximize your food plot planting before you try to do a feeding program. That's why it is called supplemental feeding because you are supplementing the deer's diet. Just like right now with all my summer plots kicking in and the rains we have had our deer are not hard on our feeders right now they will grab a few bites but my cameras are showing they are eating more so in the food plots right now. last month they would clean out 450 lbs of feed out of a single trough in less than 3 weeks and now they are probably only eating 50 lbs a week out of it. I always love seeing your pictures. You are doing it right. Good luck this season.

From an outsiders perspective, it seems like you've got more main-frame 10 pointers than in years past. You think the supplements are helping with that or is that just a coincidence?

Huck

davidhelmly

From an outsiders perspective, it seems like you've got more main-frame 10 pointers than in years past. You think the supplements are helping with that or is that just a coincidence?

Huck

To be honest Huck I would be guessing if I gave you an answer but I see differences in years too. We had a couple of years when we had multiple mainframe 11 and 12 point bucks, a few years of almost no mainframe 10's and the last 2 years the 10's have become more common. I really wish I knew what controlled it but I honestly have no clue.

Bucaramus

Are you guys compound bow only or do you allow xbows? I haven't drawn a compound in about 12 years since a 4 wheeler wreck.

davidhelmly

Are you guys compound bow only or do you allow xbows? I haven't drawn a compound in about 12 years since a 4 wheeler wreck.

We are bow only unless you are 60 years old or older and also if you have a legitimate medical reason that you can’t shoot a vertical bow you may use a xbow.

davidhelmly

Cindy and I spent all weekend working at the lease so of course I got a chance to pull cards. I've got a few new Cuddeback cameras that allow me to do a picture and a video with each trigger which I love, I put some video clips together and will add them at the end of the pics. 5MTC0063.JPG5MTC0064.JPG5MTC0065.JPG5MTC0115.JPG5MTC0174.JPG5MTC0175.JPG5MTC0176.JPG5MTC0185.JPG5MTC0189.JPG5MTC0338.JPG

Last edited:

davidhelmly

It won't let me upload the videos so here are the youtube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

davidhelmly

You've got some good one's. That wierd one reminds me of caribou . Maybe his son. I hope your club has a good season.
I’m 99% sure that one of those bucks is Caribou, I’m going to post some of his pictures later today. Thanks!!