Academy may regret this move... wow.

It is about liability. It really doesn't matter what store, employees cannot accost the customer no matter the situation. That's why they have security officers if present. Do you have any idea the number of times Walmart, academy..etc are sued?

This is common practice.

Now, private business is a total another matter.

s&r

rosewood

Public confidence is very important in retail.If any crime was ever committed with that gun(perp stated to police he was going to kill someone and will steal another gun after he gets out of jail) after he left the store.Academy would be included in the lawsuit not to mention how many people agree with the managers actions.

Good point.

This is a catch 22. If the perp goes and kills someone, then the victims family sues Academy for letting the gun be stolen from their store. Then you have more calls for banning firearms. However, if they stop the perp and he sues, they have to deal with that and then if he happens to be a minority, BLM and ANTIFA and others come out of the wood work and brand the employee and store as racist.

Rosewood

getaff

I think the guy is a hero. He stopped a thief stealing guns. Therefore saved lives and stopping a gun crime committed by illeaglly obtained guns. No Brainer dude is a hero

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the best outcome would have for the manager to have been carrying, see the criminal with a pistol in his hand, and blow him away because the customers and employees were in danger of being shot by the criminal.

Problem solved

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d bet he ends up with a much better job than Academy

Gumpbuck

I'm a former retail manager.
Major corporations get sued just because the wind blew the wrong direction for just a second. They can't win.
We all say we hate lawyers but we waste no time in lawyering up when we get tapped in a parking lot auto accident... or when we trip on something because we couldn't take our nose out of our smart phone long enough to watch where we walk...
In many cases, the decision is not if you get sued, but which law suit will have the least impact.
Margins are typically less than 5% in retail and the company is accountable to the stock holders. They must control costs as well as try to be responsible corporate citizen to employees, customers and the cities they do business in.
Lastly and probably the most important issue in this is, the employee's safety. They will in no way support or allow any policy that might encourage or lead to an employee getting hurt. The fact that the perp may commit further crimes is not a concern that will trump employee safety.
I'm proud and thankful for the actions of the employee, but understand the bind that Academy is in. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

PS, I haven't worked in retail in over 20 years. So, no, I'm not taking their side because I'm one of them. It's just a really tough issue for all involved. If I owned a business and could hire him or had some other way to thank and support the fired employee, I would.

red neck richie

I hope no one ever has a medical emergency such as a heart attack or choking at Academy. Even if the employee knows cpr or the Heimlich they aren't allowed to touch you to help. You will probably die before the ambulance gets there.

ucfireman

the best outcome would have for the manager to have been carrying, see the criminal with a pistol in his hand, and blow him away because the customers and employees were in danger of being shot by the criminal.

Problem solved
100% agree.
Problem with crime right now in this country is all criminals know they will not be stopped because of the fear of lawsuits.
Look at speeders or car jackers, they run because they know the police wont/ cant chase them.
Police and the public need to start requiring the enforcement of the little stuff (speeding, idiot 4wheelers on the roads, moron motorcyclists doing wheelies on 285, theft etc) and that will lead to the decrease in the big crimes.

nmurph

Public confidence is very important in retail.If any crime was ever committed with that gun(perp stated to police he was going to kill someone and will steal another gun after he gets out of jail) after he left the store.Academy would be included in the lawsuit not to mention how many people agree with the managers actions.

Please explain how Academy could be liable.

red neck richie

So what if he did nothing and the perp robbed and killed someone that evening. I say job well done sir you may have saved a life. Some policies are bull and worth losing your job for. Whats right is right.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I wonder what the rest of the story is.

the guy put his house up for sale immediately because of being fired? sorry im not buying that either. Of course his lawyer said it so i guess it has to be true

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
So what if he did nothing and the perp robbed and killed someone that evening. I say job well done sir you may have saved a life. Some policies are bull and worth losing your job for. Whats right is right.

what if the perp had used the gun to kill someone while he was trying to escape because this guy chasing him? What if he had shot and killed the guy chasing him?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

and the suit would be thrown out.

Jim Boyd

The perp is clearly a thug and belongs in prison (or worse).

The guy in the store - whether the story is actually represented factually or not (there are a lot of “allegedly’s” in there) probably got a bad deal. There are many unknowns here, too - beside the fact that he violated policy and apparently one the is fairly well cast in stone. It is entirely possible (I did not say probable) that the guy was a poor performer and this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I am not there and don’t know - but I deal with people (as a manager) all the time and nothing they do surprises me much.....

Now, let me ask you a question. If you got fired tomorrow, would you lose YOUR house?

I would not - take that to the bank. I would find another job (or jobs) and take care of business.

Unemployment is less than 4% - I am pretty sure anyone that wants to work - can work. Same pay? Maybe not. That is why is said job - or jobs (as in multiple).

Now - we have been down this road before as it relates to the Academy’s of the world. As best I can recall, I have never even been in one before but I have seen our GON constituency vilify and swear off:

Academy (now)
Dick’s
Under Armor
Cabela’s
Bass Pro
Primos
Moultrie
BigGame
Sitka
Meopta
Zeiss
WGI

The list goes on and on....

“I will never spend another dime with them”

“I will never set foot in that place again”

“They have seen the last dime from me”

But, all of these folks are still in business so SOMEONE is spending money there.....

Someone made a good point earlier - are you gonna quit shopping every place that has this “hands off” policy or are you just gonna boycott Academy (well, at least til they put something you want on a 1/2 off sale) because they fired some guy - and you don’t even know all the real details?????

This feels eerily like the Illinois discussion we had some time ago. There were people who swore to not even purchase a hamburger or gas in the state because of Draconion gun laws (and I freely admit the laws are awful) but are perfectly willing, for instance, to eat fruit and produce from California - a state that has the WORST gun laws in the nation.

Sooo... hypocrisy and hysterics aside - I cannot make much of an argument either way (not enough irrefutable facts) on this matter other than to say the perp clearly belongs in prison or worse and the employee probably got a bad deal.

MudDucker

Staff member
The legal reality is that until he leaves the store, unless he concealed the merchandise, he has done nothing wrong legally. If accosted while legally shopping, that is both a potential lawsuit for assault and false imprisonment. On the other hand, a perp who steals a weapon does not leave the company open to lawsuit.

My question is how did the guy get the gun in the first place. The store should have had better security to prevent anyone getting a gun that the staff didn't hand to them.

rosewood

Staff probably handed it to him. It has happened before at the Academy near me. The guy ask to see the gun, then when he sees the opportunity, he turns and runs. He is on camera for sure, but doesn't care and bolts for the door. Probably already has a record and a warrant on himself anyway. They generally just watch him run out and call the LEOs to investigate.

The only thing that I see that would help is asking to see a license before showing the gun. However, that is going to tick off the rest of us and many will swear off shopping there because they ask for I.D.

Rosewood

GottaGetOutdoors

I worked at Academy corporate office before it sold to KKR. Academy is a good company with a bad policy. The negative PR is self-inflicted. Corporate spin just makes it worse because the policy doesn't pass the smell test of common sense Americans. There are more effective ways to protect the company while also showing concern for the well-being of employees. Now is a good time to invite common sense back to the policymaking table.

Last edited:

GottaGetOutdoors

Here is one thing Academy does right. Gun counter employees can refuse to sell a gun to anyone for a host of reasons (customer acts nervous, customer acts irrational, customer hints of causing harm, customer is suspected of making straw purchase, etc.). The store associate is permitted to refuse the sale if something appears to be wrong about the would-be purchase.