July 4th Week

Redman54

Spent the week down at our coast house on Colonel's Island for family vacation. We had some decent luck inshore with Trout but couldn't catch a legal red anywhere. Caught plenty of whiting and the crab traps didn't disappoint either. The weather held out for most of the week. Friday and Saturday had a good West wind so we went out front to BL. Caught several trout out there, keepers and throwbacks, along with several sharks, all the bluefish and ladyfish you wanted to catch, we even caught several short black sea bass. Hooked some big Reds but didn't get any in the boat for pictures. It was a great week BL1.jpgBL Trout.jpg

Attachments

• BL.jpg
    BL.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 20

Redman54

A few more Pictures

Attachments

• N Newport.jpg
    N Newport.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Baby Red.JPG
    Baby Red.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Catching Bait.jpg
    Catching Bait.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 24

Redman54

Couple more.

Attachments

• Storm.JPG
    Storm.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Dock.jpg
    Dock.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Cruising.JPG
    Cruising.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 30
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 27

jfish

be careful with the stingrays in the boat. i used to not worry about them at all. since being hit and it rotting out no more in my boat. its bad bad..

OHsalt85

A few more Pictures
Spent the week down at our coast house on Colonel's Island for family vacation. We had some decent luck inshore with Trout but couldn't catch a legal red anywhere. Caught plenty of whiting and the crab traps didn't disappoint either. The weather held out for most of the week. Friday and Saturday had a good West wind so we went out front to BL. Caught several trout out there, keepers and throwbacks, along with several sharks, all the bluefish and ladyfish you wanted to catch, we even caught several short black sea bass. Hooked some big Reds but didn't get any in the boat for pictures. It was a great week View attachment 935810View attachment 935811
Nice work! I'll be staying on Colonels in September for our honeymoon. Have you ever fished the creeks that time of year? Looking for any help I can get on what to expect. I'm stocked up on popping corks, DOA shrimp/ swim baits, and top waters. I'll have my kayak and the house is right on Jones Creek with access. Looking to target trout, flounder, reds and sheephead if I can find um. I don't see any bridges close to fish pilings. Also, any good places around for bait? Closest I caw was Bandy's up near Savannah. Thanks for the help!

Redman54

Nice work! I'll be staying on Colonels in September for our honeymoon. Have you ever fished the creeks that time of year? Looking for any help I can get on what to expect. I'm stocked up on popping corks, DOA shrimp/ swim baits, and top waters. I'll have my kayak and the house is right on Jones Creek with access. Looking to target trout, flounder, reds and sheephead if I can find um. I don't see any bridges close to fish pilings. Also, any good places around for bait? Closest I caw was Bandy's up near Savannah. Thanks for the help!
Jones Creek will have some good reds. We've caught some really nice ones there in September. I can't get around in there at low water in my boat, but you should be in great shape with a Kayak. You can buy bait at Half-moon or Yellow Bluff,( both on the island) but if you have a cast net, shrimp will be here in September so no need to pay $25-$27 a quart for live shrimp. A minnow trap and a can of sardines will catch all the mud-minnows you need. My choice for the inshore slam is live shrimp or mud minnows under a pooping cork, with mud minnows being my favorite. Fall is the best for our fishing in my opinion. Are you renting from Cookie? If so, if you put in at her house, leave the dock and head up river( left of her dock) fish around all the rocks and marsh near those docks. You should be in good shape.

OHsalt85

Jones Creek will have some good reds. We've caught some really nice ones there in September. I can't get around in there at low water in my boat, but you should be in great shape with a Kayak. You can buy bait at Half-moon or Yellow Bluff,( both on the island) but if you have a cast net, shrimp will be here in September so no need to pay $25-$27 a quart for live shrimp. A minnow trap and a can of sardines will catch all the mud-minnows you need. My choice for the inshore slam is live shrimp or mud minnows under a pooping cork, with mud minnows being my favorite. Fall is the best for our fishing in my opinion. Are you renting from Cookie? If so, if you put in at her house, leave the dock and head up river( left of her dock) fish around all the rocks and marsh near those docks. You should be in good shape.
This is worth it's weight in gold, Redman. Thank you brother! Yes, I'm renting from Cookie (pretty sure). It's the last house up River Dr headed north. Do you get any flounder around that area or is it mainly trout and reds that time of year? Was also looking at the bridges over by Jones Creek Recreation area and wondering if the sheep would be holding on those pilings. Any particular spots I should be looking to throw a minnow trap for mud minnows or just right over the dock will do? Thanks a million!

Redman54

This is worth it's weight in gold, Redman. Thank you brother! Yes, I'm renting from Cookie (pretty sure). It's the last house up River Dr headed north. Do you get any flounder around that area or is it mainly trout and reds that time of year? Was also looking at the bridges over by Jones Creek Recreation area and wondering if the sheep would be holding on those pilings. Any particular spots I should be looking to throw a minnow trap for mud minnows or just right over the dock will do? Thanks a million!

There aren’t any bridges on Jones Creek, and I'm not familiar with Jones Creek Recreational Area. I've never caught any flounder on Jones Creek but that doesn't mean anything, I'm sure they are there. Being you only have a kayak, I would stick to Jones Creek, Dickinson Creek and Sunbury Creek. I wouldn't venture out to the Medway River, but that's just me. You may be a very experienced kayaker. Medway River will be busy on the weekends and it's a very large waterway with fast currents. We catch a lot of Sheeps on blow-downs and other structure, you don't have to fish a bridge, any structure can hold them. Minnow trap needs to be in a small creek near the grass or in the grass at high water is even better. Sardines or Vienna Sausages work well and they are cheap. Word of caution, don’t put live shrimp and mud minnows in the same bait bucket. All you will do is fatten up your minnows.

OHsalt85

There aren’t any bridges on Jones Creek, and I'm not familiar with Jones Creek Recreational Area. I've never caught any flounder on Jones Creek but that doesn't mean anything, I'm sure they are there. Being you only have a kayak, I would stick to Jones Creek, Dickinson Creek and Sunbury Creek. I wouldn't venture out to the Medway River, but that's just me. You may be a very experienced kayaker. Medway River will be busy on the weekends and it's a very large waterway with fast currents. We catch a lot of Sheeps on blow-downs and other structure, you don't have to fish a bridge, any structure can hold them. Minnow trap needs to be in a small creek near the grass or in the grass at high water is even better. Sardines or Vienna Sausages work well and they are cheap. Word of caution, don’t put live shrimp and mud minnows in the same bait bucket. All you will do is fatten up your minnows.
The bridges are Isle of Wight Rd and I95/405 east of Midway. I'm pretty experienced, but with a little boy to come home to, I don't take chances like that. I'll definitely be sticking to the smaller creeks like Jones and Sunbury. I guess if I find a flounder, it will be a bonus. Looking to do a catch and cook for the wife. She may throw a few casts with me off the dock too so I'd like to see her catch a few too. Can't thank you enough for the info! You ever find yourself wanting to fish the Great Lakes in Ohio for world class walleyes, you got a spot on my boat! Wish I could take it with me, but my outboards aren't saltwater approved and I don't want to mess with that!