Best/worst bbq in georgia!?!?

Everyone needs to try Sanders BBQ in Vesta on hwy 77 between Lexington and Elberton. Only open on Friday and Saturday. Well worth the drive. Get the pork and ribs! Get a to go order to fried skins! And the fried chicken is some of the best you will ever eat! The hash is awesome!

You get a 2nd vote from me. The pork skins with lemon pepper are awesome. The family that runs the place are really great people.

Artfuldodger

Purvis's in Louisville (Jefferson Co.)

I recall seeing that place on the way to South Georgia. On the right heading south out of town before crossing the river.
I might have to stop there on the next trip. Thing is we usually eat Barnyard BBQ in Douglas. I guess I can force myself to eat BBQ twice.

Do they serve hash or Brunswick Stew?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Yes, they have a good B'wk stew. Open Thurs, Friday and Saturday until sold out. It's a vinegar based pulled pork which is unusual for this part of the state, but it is mighty fine. Gil

HuntinJake_23

Best: Foggy Bottom in loganville, any Williamson Bros, Old Hickory house in tucker, Community Bbq in Decatur, Fresh Air, Big Kev’s Bbq in Madison

Worst: Shane’s, Bub-Ba-Que in woodstock, Smokin poboys in Winder

Stroker

Mac's in Warm Springs. If you order the hot be ready with something real cold to put out the fire.

FootLongDawg

Another vote for Jim's Smokin Q in Blairsville. That cherry wood he smokes with makes some delicious ribs. Only drawback is long lines and short hours of operation.

Dub

that place sucks sooooooo bad. I won't eat there again, although my kids love it. I tell em to bring me mickey D's on the way home with it.

I've tried most of the stuff on their menu after Famous Dave's closed down. I know it sounds crazy....but that chain restaurant had some killer Q. My family loved going there every week.

Sconyer's is not a place I care to go.....but work, golf groups, etc outings have seen me there over the years.

The only meat I'll order is their smoked turkey. It's edible, at least. The rest of it...not so much. Folks say their hash is good.....I'm not a fan of hash, in general....so I can't really say.

Some of their sides are good.

Doesn't say much about a BBQ restaurant when real BBQ enthusiasts go there and just get a vegetable plate.

Maybe I'm becoming a grumpy old guy......but I simply avoid BBQ restaurants for the most part. It's something I'd rather do myself. Same thing with steaks, burgers, chicken, pizza and wings.

When we eat out and I'm able to pick the location.....it's seafood, sushi, Mexican or salads.

I haven't tried Willie Jewel's, but have heard some positive reviews.

Shane's Rib Shack is a bust.....about the only thing I'll get there is the chicken salad sammiches.

TinKnocker

I feel like odd man out here but I will say it anyways:

I have always been underwhelmed by Fresh Air. IMO, other than location, the BBQ is no different than Sprayberrys.......which many people seem to agree ain't all that.

I work in downtown ATL, so my favorite local to work is Fox Brothers. If I am on the north side of town, Fat Matt's is also really good. Back home, in Phenix City just across the river from Columbus, my favorite was always Smokey Pig. I always pick up 2 chipped sammiches anytime I go home to visit.

Outside of those 3 places, I'd just prefer fire up my own smoker.

Artfuldodger

I feel like odd man out here but I will say it anyways:

I have always been underwhelmed by Fresh Air. IMO, other than location, the BBQ is no different than Sprayberrys.......which many people seem to agree ain't all that.

I work in downtown ATL, so my favorite local to work is Fox Brothers. If I am on the north side of town, Fat Matt's is also really good. Back home, in Phenix City just across the river from Columbus, my favorite was always Smokey Pig. I always pick up 2 chipped sammiches anytime I go home to visit.

Outside of those 3 places, I'd just prefer fire up my own smoker.

I like Fox Brothers OK, I like Fat Matt's better. Fox Brothers can get rather crowded at times.

TinKnocker

I like Fox Brothers OK, I like Fat Matt's better. Fox Brothers can get rather crowded at times.
My office is 5 minutes from Fox Bros. We typically arrive at 11 for lunch to beat the crowd.

Tomorrow we’re going to Fogo for Brazilian “bbq” for lunch. If you consider that bbq, it’s definitely high on the list of top quality!

hopper

Just did a polished concrete floor for a guy in Gainesville, he brought us lunch from some place. Awsome BBQ great stew. He gave me the guys card that was rubber stamped on a piece of cardboard.
Lost the card cant remember the name. He said it was a hole in the wall of the side of the rd. Maybee 306
Anyone know this place?

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Best in Georgia
1. Evans in villa Rica
2. Daddy dz in Atlanta
Best I've ever had is smokin Joe brown's in gurley, Alabama but they retired and are gone now.
Worst
1. Some place in Thompson I cant remember the name of.

DannyW

Just did a polished concrete floor for a guy in Gainesville, he brought us lunch from some place. Awsome BBQ great stew. He gave me the guys card that was rubber stamped on a piece of cardboard.
Lost the card cant remember the name. He said it was a hole in the wall of the side of the rd. Maybee 306
Anyone know this place?

I think that's the the Hickory Pig...it's north Gainesville near the lake....on Thompson Bridge Road. It fits the description...a hole in the wall...a REAL hole in the wall...and the owner stamps out a business card on a piece of cardboard. But good BBQ from the one time I ate there...real good.

This place was featured on one of those "best BBQ" feature pieces in some southern themed magazine...maybe Southern Living? Anyway, it's worth trying...and the owner (Phil) is a hoot!

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I've tried most of the stuff on their menu after Famous Dave's closed down. I know it sounds crazy....but that chain restaurant had some killer Q. My family loved going there every week.

Sconyer's is not a place I care to go.....but work, golf groups, etc outings have seen me there over the years.

The only meat I'll order is their smoked turkey. It's edible, at least. The rest of it...not so much. Folks say their hash is good.....I'm not a fan of hash, in general....so I can't really say.

Some of their sides are good.

Doesn't say much about a BBQ restaurant when real BBQ enthusiasts go there and just get a vegetable plate.

Maybe I'm becoming a grumpy old guy......but I simply avoid BBQ restaurants for the most part. It's something I'd rather do myself. Same thing with steaks, burgers, chicken, pizza and wings.

When we eat out and I'm able to pick the location.....it's seafood, sushi, Mexican or salads.

I haven't tried Willie Jewel's, but have heard some positive reviews.

Shane's Rib Shack is a bust.....about the only thing I'll get there is the chicken salad sammiches.

My family also liked Famous Daves. I'm not sure what happened to them. That place has changed a few times since Famous Daves left. It was a Flying Cowboys for a short while. They got one in Douglas that's pretty popular.

Willie Jewels we didn't care for but we like Shanes OK for a chain. We eat so much bbq when we go to Douglas we don't need any here.

I would also agree with you on Sconyers being overrated. I usually get the Chicken. The Turkey as good as well.

Reactions: Dub