wvdawg

Staff member
My 9 year old grandson filmed this.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Pretty cool!

wvdawg

Staff member
I lost track of how many times he used the word awesome! Really liked the footage (close up) when she layed the third egg.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I lost track of how many times he used the word awesome! Really liked the footage (close up) when she layed the third egg.
Yeah, that was awesome! :biggrin2:

someguyintraffic

Mowed right over a box turtle last week in a customers back yard. Dont know how I didnt chop it up. Never seen a turtle move so fast to get away. Checked it. Not a scratch.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Many years ago my brothers and I kept a backyard turtle pen for box turtles. We'd keep'em and feed'em for a few weeks and release them back to the woods. My kids did the same. My adult daughter to this day will stop her car if she sees one crossing the road and move it to the road shoulder. It's now illegal to possess one in Georgia without a permit. They are beautiful, long lived creatures with life expectancy between 50-100 years. I hope your grandson's fascination with them continues to grow. Gil

wvdawg

Staff member
Thanks all. He is all about turtles right now. Got a little tortoise for a pet and we built a little habitat for it. Jake's biggest concern was who will take care of it when it outlives him!

PappyHoel

Awesome :) pretty cool and smart kid.

Rabun

Loved that video! i liked it when he said he is going to create a little habitat for them...future wildlife biologist? I sure hope so given the appreciation he has for nature at such a young age. Obviously a fine upbringing(y)

Curious...did anyone not have a box turtle when growing up. My Dad brought us one home when I was probably this young man's age.

wvdawg

Staff member
I remember finding one when I was little that had my granddad's initials carved under it. He said he put them on it many years earlier! That was exciting.

carver

Thanks all. He is all about turtles right now. Got a little tortoise for a pet and we built a little habitat for it. Jake's biggest concern was who will take care of it when it outlives him!
That boy is about grown,Is Jake still into the cycles Dennis?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
This thread has brought up a lot of memories of box turtles over the years. Hope you don't mind my parking here this photo from yesterday. I was in the woods mushrooming when I ran across this little one. I usually don't see box turtles this small. Judging from the dollar bill, he was about 4.25" long in the shell. Something tried to eat him or her (didn't check the bottom carapace) at one time in its life judging from the ragged edge of the front of his top shell and smoothed off area on the left side. Gil

wvdawg

Staff member

Jerry - He just sold his 50 cc and they drove to Pittsburgh to pick up a new 65 cc - new learning experience with clutch and shifting gears, but he is adapting. Moving up in the racing series a year early.

wvdawg

Staff member
This thread has brought up a lot of memories of box turtles over the years. Hope you don't mind my parking here this photo from yesterday. I was in the woods mushrooming when I ran across this little one. I usually don't see box turtles this small. Judging from the dollar bill, he was about 4.25" long in the shell. Something tried to eat him or her (didn't check the bottom carapace) at one time in its life judging from the ragged edge of the front of his top shell and smoothed off area on the left side. Gil

That's a cool find! I found a dead one a couple years back that was maybe just a tad smaller. Drying out the shell for a turkey slate call.