Those who pack their critters out instead of dragging them...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
To the top!
Good stuff.
I want more...
In fact, I'll be willing to pm my phone number to anyone of you who feel you might could use an extra hand hauling out. I would love the experience. At 60, I'm not as strong or as nimble or as fit as I once was, but if I could get a good lesson in the in-the-field bone-out, it would be worth dinner or breakfast for the entire crew on me.
I'm planning on hunting the first couple weeks of bow season and the early gun hunt on Chattahoochee WMA based in the Choestoe/Town Creek School Road area. If the logistics makes sense I will drop everything and head your way. I also have my eyes on the Blue Ridge WMA PW hunt and Cohutta.
Planning on being on my lease in Upson County for the last week of October and the first couple weeks of November.
Looking forward to a fun season this year!
Good luck to all...

Ghost G

This will be my first year hunting bear. I'm really excited! For Deer and Hog I use cloth bags or old pillow cases to allow the meat to cool. I used to carry block and rope but now go lighter and use the gutless method on the ground. (Gonna try Kyle's method for the loins this year.) It's easy to pop the hip joints on the hind quarters. I use an Eberlestock X2 pack. Great investment. It's small enough to be able to stalk with and can handle a load when called on. I debone if the distance is long in order to cool the meat and to lighten the load. Another benefit of packing out is leaving the mess behind. Nature will clean it up so fast many times it's hard to find a trace the next trip back in the woods.

Tio Hey Seuss

Also, these reusable synthetic game bags were on sale on camofire last week for dirt cheap. I get there daily sale emailed to me. They have some incredible bargains.
Hey jbogg! Do you still like the black ovis bags? Been thinking about trying them.

Also, has anyone tried any of the spray products designed for meat care? I think it's a citric acid spray. Any solutions for keeping yellow jackets at bay? I read somewhere crushed pepper helps but can't remember if it

jbogg

Hey jbogg! Do you still like the black ovis bags? Been thinking about trying them.

Also, has anyone tried any of the spray products designed for meat care? I think it's a citric acid spray. Any solutions for keeping yellow jackets at bay? I read somewhere crushed pepper helps but can't remember if it

The black Ovis bags work fine and clean up is easy by tossing them in the wash. Are you and your boys going in deep on the rifle hunt again? I was on the next Ridge over last fall and heard you shoot your bear on the first morning.

Tio Hey Seuss

The black Ovis bags work fine and clean up is easy by tossing them in the wash. Are you and your boys going in deep on the rifle hunt again? I was on the next Ridge over last fall and heard you shoot your bear on the first morning.
Sweet, I'll add them to my list. We're going deep for the beginning and probably working our way out by mid week to set up a family campsite. My wife is coming up for the end and she's gonna be 7 months pregnant so I'll have to hunt close to the road with her!

Bowhunter77

I thought about putting one in a barrel and rolling it. I’m actually serious it crossed my mind. But then just call up friends you don’t like or need anymore and ask them to go bear hunting.

ripplerider

Yeah one big benefit of this rainy year has been the absence of yellowjackets. I havent got into a single nest and have only seen a couple flying around. I hate yellowjackets!

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
To the top!
Good stuff.
I want more...
In fact, I'll be willing to pm my phone number to anyone of you who feel you might could use an extra hand hauling out. I would love the experience. At 60, I'm not as strong or as nimble or as fit as I once was, but if I could get a good lesson in the in-the-field bone-out, it would be worth dinner or breakfast for the entire crew on me.
I'm planning on hunting the first couple weeks of bow season and the early gun hunt on Chattahoochee WMA based in the Choestoe/Town Creek School Road area. If the logistics makes sense I will drop everything and head your way. I also have my eyes on the Blue Ridge WMA PW hunt and Cohutta.
Planning on being on my lease in Upson County for the last week of October and the first couple weeks of November.
Looking forward to a fun season this year!
Good luck to all...

I'll be hunting 20 minutes north of you if you ever need help. I have block and tackle set up and am familiar with the area. I live in Union County and pretty much grew up here.

georgia_home

good bump!

this will be my first year hunting high / hilly country out west. got a muley tag.

thinking it'll be wise to invest in decent bags and focus on front and rear along with the back straps and loins mostly. maybe the other stuff depending on the distance and temp.

the roads are sparse in the mountains, and any walk looks to be measured in miles. a friend is talking about horses, but not sure how that'll work out.

twincedargap

I guess 1eyefishing has a good idea. What’s the best way to share our contact info if another forum member needs help with a bear? I’m not local but have a cabin a few miles from Vogel SP, and will be up heavily during the season. I’m mostly hunting CNF, Chestatee, and Chatt WMA’s, if anyone needed help, my skillset is bloodbath trailing and dragging. Pls feel free to PM if you want to share contact info in the event you may need help this seaso.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I guess 1eyefishing has a good idea. What’s the best way to share our contact info if another forum member needs help with a bear? I’m not local but have a cabin a few miles from Vogel SP, and will be up heavily during the season. I’m mostly hunting CNF, Chestatee, and Chatt WMA’s, if anyone needed help, my skillset is bloodbath trailing and dragging. Pls feel free to PM if you want to share contact info in the event you may need help this seaso.

PM coming...

devolve

I have done many backcountry deer hunts. I carry a waterproof cylinder shaped backpack. I’ve had it for 15+ years. It is a waterfowl hunting back pack. I put a large trash bag in it. When I kill I do the gutless method. I set the bag up against a tree and line the inside with the trash bag. Drop the boned meat in as I cut them off. Tie bag off and sinch down the pack lid and off I go.

Hillbilly stalker

This is what I use for hogs, it. Would work for bear also. It's a canvas laundry bad made with shoulder straps. It's made by "Tide" and found near the laundry section at China mart or big lots. It rolls up about the size of a small coffee can. When I roll it up, I fold 5 garbage bags and 2 pair of gloves inside it and throw it in my haversack or pack. I've toted out several 200 lb. boned out hogs in it. It's pretty big, I'm 6'5, 325 lbs and it fits me fine. Might need to reinforce the straps if you carried a real heavy load. Their about $7 when you can find them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 31

fiddlinduke

I bought an Allen Rock Canyon for this year, hopefully I'll get to use it! Home Depot has them for around $75 online

ripplerider

Since I started this thread I've bought a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack with one big central compartment that many reviews claimed will carry a heavy load with no problems. I've yet to try it out on a bear, deer or hog but I've backpacked with it a few times and I feel like it will do the job well. It's a little bigger pack than I'm used to carrying every hunt but it has compression straps so it will cinch down to a reasonable size for squeezing through the mountain laurel thickets and other obstacles. I'm carrying thrift store pillow cases for meat sacks. I can't bow hunt anymore so I guess I'll have to wait for muzzleloader season to try my system out. I've been real busy this year but it's about time to hunt.

gtmcwhorter

I’m 32 years old and I’ve never even field dressed a deer (in my defense I’ve only ever shot one deer). I do much more waterfowl hunting than deer and we clean those birds immediately after a hunt. I grew up with a dad who didn’t hunt and I picked it up in college after having some buddies who hunted and no one ever showed me how to field dress much less pack one out but after reading this I think I’ll study up on you tube and plan to pack out whatever I shoot on my quota hunt this year.

Rabun

Thanks...looks like it will work very well. I got this as gift a few years ago...haven't packed any game out yet but it works great lugging climber stand, chain saw, mineral blocks, whatever you want to strap to it. Well made and very comfortable. Same idea as what you got, but probably not as reasonably priced.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64392?page=hunters-carryall-pack