Short Barreled Lever Actions

frankwright

I don't know why I like the look of short barreled rifles,especially lever actions.

I came across this picture on my computer and I think I got it on here and it made me do some looking.
It looks like now one of the Options is a Marlin 336Y with a 16" barrel. Unfortunately they are made by Remington now and most reviews list poor fit, cheap wood and rough action.

Anyone actually have a newer one with some experience?

I don't want a 45/70!

tS28iPnl.jpg

GeorgiaBob

I like them too. The only problem is that they simply are not as accurate as 18" or 20" barrels. Unless you want a saddle gun, the 20" level action (all other things being equal) is a better choice, and almost as "pretty."

killerv

I have a marlin 1894p in 44mag, 16 1/4in barrel, setup with an XS scout mount and nikon 1x20. Sweet setup.

Robert28

Henry makes a carbine length like that in several calibers. Something to look into. I like 20" barrels on lever actions because I can hold them steadier and they swing better for me, same reason I like 28" over 26" in my shotguns. I just shoot them better.

hayseed_theology

Gotta love those short barrel lever guns.

Attachments

• MarlinFinal4.jpg
    MarlinFinal4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 20

hayseed_theology

I like them too. The only problem is that they simply are not as accurate as 18" or 20" barrels. Unless you want a saddle gun, the 20" level action (all other things being equal) is a better choice, and almost as "pretty."

If you mean the shorter sight radius translates to less accuracy, I might agree, but I have cut down two .30-30's from 20" to 16.5" and accuracy seems to have improved. The shorter barrels are stiffer, so they tend to be a little more accurate.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would take a Henry big boy carbine, but will need to wait until I see a good deal on them.

H006R-Big-Boy-Carbine-Hero-1.jpg

you can go to Gungenie.com and look up what you are looking for, and get a price from local gun shops around you. I have seen as much as $100 or more difference for driving 30 or 40 miles.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Yep, yep, yep.
Marlin 1895 GBL
37 " o.a.l., 7 shot, 7 lbs., 18 1/2" barrel, 45/70.
Laminated stock, and so far performing flawlessly.

Loaded for bear!ezgif.com-resize (61).jpg

CummingDeplorable

I like my marlin 336 just fine...
XS rail, long eye relief scope, m1 type sling, action is smooth. I’ve still got plans for a large loop & a happy trigger. I don’t like the modern finish, I wish it was blue’d but the finish seems durable.

Attachments

• B1201013-53D7-4CF4-B43B-910B28F041AB.jpeg
    B1201013-53D7-4CF4-B43B-910B28F041AB.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 12

cmshoot

I’ll have to take pics, but I built a 16” Winchester 94 .30-30 several years ago. It started as a longer barreled, gold-plated, commemorative with a heavy octagon barrel. It had been shot, no box or papers, and had some small rust spots popping up under the gold plate.

I cut and crowned the barrel to 16”, shortened the mag tube to match, installed a Williams rear peep with a Marble’s sourdough front, and had it Cerakoted in black and gray. Bo Ballard built me a leather buttstock cuff with shell loops in it.

I don’t know about other short barreled leverguns other folks have shot, but mine shoots very well with Federal Fusions. I’ve run it out to 400yds on an IPSC-sized steel.

I like the short barrel because I built it as a truck gun, although I have hunted with it. I’m 6’ with long arms, but when I grip it in my firing hand I can hang my arm at my side and the muzzle is well shy of the ground.

Darkhorse

I've never considered a Rossi but after reading how well thought of they are on some Cowboy action Forums I checked out the website.
Here's a short barreled carbine available in .454 Casull.
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=181&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=
Personally I'll stick with the .44 magnum with the 20" barrel. I'm looking hard at one of the new (2018) Marlin Model 1894's, the quality is supposed to be very good compared to just a few years ago when the remlins's first hit the market.

I don't know if Uberti still makes the 1873 trapper, but I have one and like the nostalgic look.DBE2D5A5-2B8E-447B-B18E-446D5AF7732B.jpeg81BB1BE0-ED17-4342-9B99-D347C89AE04B.jpeg

Last edited:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Pictures are making me drool! Fine lever guns guys!!!!!!!!

MCBUCK

That's my love; ANY lever gun, but especially short barreled ones. Here is my .02 for what its worth:

1894 or any of the variations to denote caliber. If you luck up and find a JM stamped model, then the short answer is you are going to pay. I just passed in a 1894c (357mag) for $900 and that was probably a deal. Marlin/Rem are making new production 1894 44mag, ( $650-$700) and most reports/reviews that I have read have been positive about fit finish and range reports. Just the same, I would in inspect closely before I bought; some manufactured pre 2017 had some F&F *****. Accuracy is good on these. Most lever gun folks will put either the mass produced XS sights on them, but I prefer Skinner peeps. Either one will give you a longer sight picture.

Marlin 336Y's are good little rifles. They do not have the nicer blued finish of the 1894 but the fit is good, the action while a bit stiff is crisp and it locks up tight. I took one of these guns off the rack at Sportsmans warehouse in Chattanooga recently and I could find no fault in the gun other than it just wasn't as pretty as the 1894. The price is right too at about $389 This isn't a show gun but a go gun. Once again I would add Skinners or maybe the XS

Rossi m92 carbine. Most all of these that I seem to come across are either in 45LC or 44mag. Sometimes I will see a 454 too. Few and far between to find. This gun is built on the original 94Win design with a top eject, so the peeps a bit different to install but still work fine. I believe the accuracy on these is somewhat modest but acceptable for a pistol caliber carbine. Prices vary greatly but I think you could find one sub $500

Henry Big Boy. Can't say anything but good about these guns. Accurate. Great finish. One of the best lever actions I have seen. I picked up an all weather The accuracy will be there.

http://www.skinnersights.com/

All of that you just read and $2.49 will get you a Happy Meal

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I like the looks of that. Just how is the 45/70 to shoot? Bearable or pleasant?
:rofl:bearable!
if we put that cartridge in my 300 Weatherby accumark, it probably wouldn't kick as much as the 300. But in that little wood and steel lever action, it is a hammer!

frankwright

Luckily I reload. I can gentle it down to be softer shooting and still smacking with a 405gr bullet.

I am not into heavy recoil just to be tough:ROFLMAO: