25 years ago today--Battle of Mogidishu

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
25 years ago today 18 US servicemen lost their lives in the "Battle of Mogidishu" better known as "Black Hawk Down" because of the movie made about the battle.
78 more were wounded. An additional soldier was killed 2 days later.
This is a list of those killed during the battle. Say their names. You owe them that much

MSG Gary Ivan Gordon
SFC Randy Shughart
SSG Daniel D. Busch
SFC Earl Robert Fillmore, Jr.
MSG Timothy "Griz" Lynn Martin
CPL James "Jamie" E. Smith
SPC James M. Cavaco
SGT James Casey Joyce
CPL Richard "Alphabet" W. Kowalewski, Jr.
SGT Dominick M. Pilla
SGT Lorenzo M. Ruiz
SSG William "Wild Bill" David Cleveland, Jr.
SSG Thomas "Tommie" J. Field
CW4 Raymond "Ironman" Alex Frank
CW3 Clifton "Elvis" P. Wolcott
CW3 Donovan "Bull" Lee Briley
SGT Cornell Lemont Houston, Sr.
PFC James Henry Martin, Jr.

One platoon of tanks would have made the day . Clinton and his boy Aspin denied the request for armor

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I believe it was last night or maybe the night before that Black Hawk Down was on my cable package. Watched what was left of it, and have watched several times.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We had Keni Thomas, one of the Rangers on the ground in Mogadishu, come speak to our students a few years ago. He's one of the best speakers I've ever heard address young people.

joepuppy

To Valhalla! Godspeed to my brothers. :cheers: :flag:

Reactions: Dub

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
One platoon of tanks would have made the day . Clinton and his boy Aspin denied the request for armor

He denied close air support too other than the cobras. There's a special place reserved for him in Hades.

Dub

God Bless our Fallen Heroes.

Judgement Day is coming for the cowardly politicians who don't allow full support of our troops who are so exposed when doing their work.

I was there in Mogadishu that day, but not part of that battle. The news during those couple days was rough to hear. The POW lived in the same town I did (when not deployed) and still live in. I returned home a week or so after he did and met him shortly after that as he was a very good friend of a guy I worked with. The aviation community is a tight one.

When I returned I found out that a very good pilot buddy of mine had known and been very close friends with CW4 Franks. I met Frank's widow through him shortly afterwards. My daughter gave me the movie shortly after it has been released. I didn't watch it for several years.

I never hated anything in my military career as much as I hated being in Somalia. I'll never forget standing and saluting flag draped coffins being loaded onto homebound planes at Mogadishu airport.

Added: Both Gordon and Shugart were awarded the MOH posthumously for their heroism attempting to protect and rescue the downed crew. You will find their stories inspiring, I promise.

Last edited:

Patriot44

Banned
I was there in Mogadishu that day, but not part of that battle. The news during those couple days was rough to hear. The POW lived in the same town I did (when not deployed) and still live in. I returned home a week or so after he did and met him shortly after that as he was a very good friend of a guy I worked with. The aviation community is a tight one.

When I returned I found out that a very good pilot buddy of mine had known and been very close friends with CW4 Franks. I met Frank's widow through him shortly afterwards. My daughter gave me the movie shortly after it has been released. I didn't watch it for several years.

I never hated anything in my military career as much as I hated being in Somalia. I'll never forget standing and saluting flag draped coffins being loaded onto homebound planes at Mogadishu airport.

Added: Both Gordon and Shugart were awarded the MOH posthumously for their heroism attempting to protect and rescue the downed crew. You will find their stories inspiring, I promise.
Thank you! :cheers:

Reactions: Dub

Dub

You, sir, have been through what most...myself included.....have only seen on the news and movies.....watched from safety of our homes.

I have huge respect for your service and nothing but thanks and admiration. God Bless you and your fellow soldiers.

I agree fully with you the stories so Gordon & Shugart were very compelling and awe-inspiring.

Thanks for the kindness. I felt compelled to post mostly because the anniversary had slipped by without a thought from me. To the OP, thank you for your powerful post and also for reminding me of something I should have reflected upon without reminder.

While I have spent time today remembering things I didn't want to, they are things that are very important for me to recall from time to time. Those men are all heros. They perished in a land far from here for us.

I know that there are many of you all that experienced similar losses while you served as well. I thank you all for your dedicated service to our nation.

Thanks and God Bless the USA!