Getting Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise for Christmas

JonathanG2013

Getting a Oddyssey Spider vise for Christmas per the suggestions on here. Now I need to get the other items to start tying flies. Seems like it would be interesting and relaxing. Also makes you feel good to catch a fish on a fly that you tied.

JonathanG2013

Any one recommend a tool kit brand to go with the vise? Like Bobbin, hackle pliers, bodkin, scissors and whip finish tool?

sasmojoe

Dr. Slick makes some nice tools, but are pricey.
When I started tying I just bought the individual components.
I would get more than one bobbin,also get ones with ceramic coated tube.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What sasmojoe said. The one thing to not skimp on is scissors. Get a pair of good small ones designed for fly tying for general use, and a cheap pair of regular scissors for cutting stuff like lead wire, ribbing wire, and such.

A hair stacker comes in handy too.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
^^^^ yep I am still searching for a 'great' pair of scissors. Have a couple good pair.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those look like a good pair.

The things I use every time I sit down to tie:

Scissors
Bobbins
Bodkin
Whip finisher
Head cement

Things I use pretty often:

Hackle pliers
Hair stacker
Various colored Sharpies
Gel superglue

You will accumulate a few more tools and supplies, but those are really all you need to start out. I'm thinking about getting me some UV resin and a UV curing light to try on some patterns.
I hardly ever use the attachment on the stem of the vise that you can use as a material holder or to drape your bobbin over while rotating the vise. I usually keep it off the vise.

JonathanG2013

Those look like a good pair.

The things I use every time I sit down to tie:

Scissors
Bobbins
Bodkin
Whip finisher
Head cement

Things I use pretty often:

Hackle pliers
Hair stacker
Various colored Sharpies
Gel superglue

You will accumulate a few more tools and supplies, but those are really all you need to start out. I'm thinking about getting me some UV resin and a UV curing light to try on some patterns.
I hardly ever use the attachment on the stem of the vise that you can use as a material holder or to drape your bobbin over while rotating the vise. I usually keep it off the vise.

Thanks for the info NC.

I know some people use Sally's clear hard as nail polish. Would that work also or would I need head cement as well?

With the bead head nymphs. How would I know what Tungsten bead head to use compared to the hook size?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Hard as Nails will work, but the head cement is a little thinner and easier to use with a bodkin on small flies. The bead packages are usually labeled with hook sizes, and you can find charts online. 1/8" is usually 10/12/14, 7/64" usually work on 12/14/16, etc.

AllTerrainAngler

I have a lot of extra material I'd gladly send you. I'm new to fly tying and i got an incredible deal on a vise with a lot of material so I'll spread the luck. lol

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I have a lot of extra material I'd gladly send you. I'm new to fly tying and i got an incredible deal on a vise with a lot of material so I'll spread the luck. lol

I too have purchased too much of some material, being new myself and not knowing how much to order, and would be glad to share.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Boogers and nymphs do not look that complicated to tie, but dry's look difficult.
Just depends on the pattern. Some of my favorite dry flies are very quick and simple to tie, and some nymphs are very complicated. Simple flies often outfish complicated ones. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One that looked complicated was tying an Adams.
Not complicated at all after you tie a few flies and learn basic tying skills, it’s actually an easy pattern to tie. Start off with buggers and such, keep trying new things, and before long you’ll be tying all kinds of patterns.

The learning curve is not too steep nowadays. YouTube videos are one very big difference from when I started tying back in the late 70s with nothing to go on but a couple library books and some instruction from a couple of old guys I hung out with and bugged to death as much as possible.

JonathanG2013

Not complicated at all after you tie a few flies and learn basic tying skills, it’s actually an easy pattern to tie. Start off with buggers and such, keep trying new things, and before long you’ll be tying all kinds of patterns.

The learning curve is not too steep nowadays. YouTube videos are one very big difference from when I started tying back in the late 70s with nothing to go on but a couple library books and some instruction from a couple of old guys I hung out with and bugged to death as much as possible.

Thanks NC,

That is the thing back then. You either had to read it in books or know someone who ties flies. I had a great uncle who tied a ton of flies and sold some to a few stores around middle Georgia.

I will take any advise I can get since I will be new to tying. Also I have been looking at youtube videos also which help.

The new thing now seems to be tying using resin on the flies. Wonder how difficult it is to get to set up with the UV lights. Someone said one time when he uses UV resin with flies he sets them out in the sun to set up. I guess that would work.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks NC,

That is the thing back then. You either had to read it in books or know someone who ties flies. I had a great uncle who tied a ton of flies and sold some to a few stores around middle Georgia.

I will take any advise I can get since I will be new to tying. Also I have been looking at youtube videos also which help.

The new thing now seems to be tying using resin on the flies. Wonder how difficult it is to get to set up with the UV lights. Someone said one time when he uses UV resin with flies he sets them out in the sun to set up. I guess that would work.
I've never used it, but I'm thinking seriously about trying it myself. I've been looking around trying to figure out what to buy to get set up with it.

AllTerrainAngler

I dawn the flies the preciousness owner had tied and it made me extremely nervous that I just spent all this money just to be disappointed. Lol. I’ve tied midges, prince nymphs, Cooper John’s, and elk hair caddis from size 22-12. My biggest issue with the elk hair is getting it to stay on top
Of the hook. Even with head cement it likes to roll

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I dawn the flies the preciousness owner had tied and it made me extremely nervous that I just spent all this money just to be disappointed. Lol. I’ve tied midges, prince nymphs, Cooper John’s, and elk hair caddis from size 22-12. My biggest issue with the elk hair is getting it to stay on top
Of the hook. Even with head cement it likes to roll
A good thread base and using a soft loop to tie it down will help.