Rem 700 issue

ssramage

Pulled my 700 ADL out of the safe yesterday for an afternoon deer hunt. Hunted with it all last year and never had an issues. Loaded the internal mag, slid the bolt forward, and couldn't get it to close without a TON of force. Opened the bolt back up and the tip of the bullet was mangled and mashed.

Any thoughts?

Misaligned follower allowed incorrect angle on bullet going into the chamber.

Push follower down and release several times. If it does not return to perfectly level smoothly, every time, disassemble rifle, check the spring underneath clean magazine area and lightly lube.

wareagle700

Was the bolt hard to push forward or was the handle hard to push down? Did it do the same thing if you dropped a round in the chamber and then closed the bolt or just when feeding from the magazine?

I agree with double checking the magazine and follower were reassembled correctly.

ssramage

Was the bolt hard to push forward or was the handle hard to push down? Did it do the same thing if you dropped a round in the chamber and then closed the bolt or just when feeding from the magazine?

I agree with double checking the magazine and follower were reassembled correctly.

Slid forward relatively easily. Only hard to push down if a round was in the chamber.

wareagle700

Did you notice any difference loading by hand vs. loading by cycling one out of the magazine? Do you have any other ammo to try?

ssramage

Did you notice any difference loading by hand vs. loading by cycling one out of the magazine? Do you have any other ammo to try?

Nope. I could drop one straight into the chamber and it was still a struggle to close. I have some other ammo at home. I'm going to tear it down, clean it and reassemble and see if that fixes it. I just haven't been home to do it.

rayjay

Make sure the ejector is moving freely. You should be able to use a small punch to push it down below the surface of the bolt face.

rayjay

I would also remove the bolt and run a cleaning rod down the bore.

wareagle700

If the tip of your bullet was mangled and mashed, and happens even when you drop a round in the chamber, sounds like there's something stuck in your bore.