Hunting is soooo expensive.

Major Wader

I spend $325 for my Texas license each year, spent $140 for a 3 day whitetail hunt to SC, my GA license, and my AL Lifetime license that I bought for $300 way back when.

I also bought points for Iowa this year, with no hope for getting drawn. Took 5 years to get my Utah mule deer tag last year.

Pay the cost of entry, and enjoy the ride!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Its $180 in Houston County, $205 in Bibb County....

nmurph

I have a cousin that lives out of state, hunts the family land where he grew up that he now owns, and doesn't buy a license. He says it's cheaper to gamble. I understand his point- this is land he and his family have owned for 100+yrs. He has to pay for out of state licenses for the privilege of hunting his home place. There's something wrong with this scenario.

175rltw

BANNED
Again. His place. But not his animals. No law against taking your rifle for a walk in your own land. But the wildlife belongs to the people of ga held in trust by the state. Wildlife isn’t owned. If you want animals to shoot any old time or without a hunting license you have to buy them. The wild ones aren’t yours.

I own land in Mi that I pay $280 for a year license to hunt. I’m not limited to my own 40 though. I have a huge amount of public land available to me as well as Lake Huron and Lake Michigan and a million other lakes and streams to fish.

For me it’s an integrity issue. If you don’t have the integrity to cough up for your license, I don’t want to be around to see where else your lack of integrity and character shows up with regard to game. It’s black and white enough for me, if you don’t “need” a license you probably don’t “need” seasons or “limits” either... and I don’t “need” to see where it stops

Major Wader

Just because you own the land doesn't mean that you are a resident. Property taxes are a small part, and don't make up the city, state, and local taxes that fund the DNR and other agencies.

I get it. That's why I bought an Alabama lifetime while I lived there, so I could continue to hunt family land after I left.

across the river

Again. His place. But not his animals. No law against taking your rifle for a walk in your own land. But the wildlife belongs to the people of ga held in trust by the state. Wildlife isn’t owned. If you want animals to shoot any old time or without a hunting license you have to buy them. The wild ones aren’t yours.

I own land in Mi that I pay $280 for a year license to hunt. I’m not limited to my own 40 though. I have a huge amount of public land available to me as well as Lake Huron and Lake Michigan and a million other lakes and streams to fish.

For me it’s an integrity issue. If you don’t have the integrity to cough up for your license, I don’t want to be around to see where else your lack of integrity and character shows up with regard to game. It’s black and white enough for me, if you don’t “need” a license you probably don’t “need” seasons or “limits” either... and I don’t “need” to see where it stops

I take it you never driver over the speed limit.

175rltw

BANNED
Hahahahaha I wrote about a 2 paragraph reply. that I posted. And then deleted. Guys- please forgive
Me for getting caught up in something that has absolutely no bearing on my own day to day. I don’t post much at all, because there’s never much to post about on the forum that isn’t pretty far out of my lane. Case in point. It’s not my kid not my problem.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
if you’re serious about introducing the kid to hunting and it’s that important to you, pay it for him and work it out of him.

My son had a buddy in high school that worked off his spot to hunt with us.

No room for free loading and hand outs. If the kid don’t have a dad in his life you could teach him how to be responsible with this.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have a cousin that lives out of state, hunts the family land where he grew up that he now owns, and doesn't buy a license. He says it's cheaper to gamble. I understand his point- this is land he and his family have owned for 100+yrs. He has to pay for out of state licenses for the privilege of hunting his home place. There's something wrong with this scenario.

A great argument for getting a lifetime license before you leave GA.
Shoulda - Coulda - Woulda

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Hahahahaha I wrote about a 2 paragraph reply. that I posted. And then deleted. Guys- please forgive
Me for getting caught up in something that has absolutely no bearing on my own day to day. I don’t post much at all, because there’s never much to post about on the forum that isn’t pretty far out of my lane. Case in point. It’s not my kid not my problem.

If everyone took that attitude, the World Wide Webs would fall apart in about a week. LOL

across the river

I have. Got a ticket before also. I got a driver license too !!!
Buy a tag. Got insurance. Paid road tax at the pump !!
I fail to see your point.

Hey how do u feel about those with no driver lic. No tag ! Or insurance.
It there car ?

First off, I wasn't responding to you or anything you had said. The post I responded to stated:

"For me it’s an integrity issue. If you don’t have the integrity to cough up for your license, I don’t want to be around to see where else your lack of integrity and character shows up with regard to game. It’s black and white enough for me, if you don’t “need” a license you probably don’t “need” seasons or “limits” either... and I don’t “need” to see where it stops"

If it is such an integrity issue to the gentlemen that he does know where the law breaking "stops" as he puts it, then one could assume, based on his logic, that breaking the speed limit could lead one down the path of lawlessness. That is why I asked the question.

Now on to your non-sense. You said you have driven over the speed limit and gotten a ticket. Most of us have, and most of us still speed. Why, because the threat of getting caught doesn't deter the "crime." Most people don't think driving over the speed limit is that bad, and the punishment isn't that bad if you do get caught in most cases. Similarly, if someone want to drive without a license or insurance, that is there choice and not mine. That is why I pay the uninsured motorist charge every six months on my car insurance bill. If they are willing to chance it, then the risk of getting caught and paying the fine is worth the chance.

Now in relation to the thread, I personally would have no problem letting the kid hunt my place without paying $170 for a license. If he happened to get caught, I would pay the fine. Do I think that by doing that he is going to head toward of life a crime and end up in the state pen years down the road. No. It just isn't that big of a deal. If that is the worst "crime" the kid ever commits, then he will be just fine.