Hunting is soooo expensive.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
First off, I wasn't responding to you or anything you had said. The post I responded to stated:

"For me it’s an integrity issue. If you don’t have the integrity to cough up for your license, I don’t want to be around to see where else your lack of integrity and character shows up with regard to game. It’s black and white enough for me, if you don’t “need” a license you probably don’t “need” seasons or “limits” either... and I don’t “need” to see where it stops"

If it is such an integrity issue to the gentlemen that he does know where the law breaking "stops" as he puts it, then one could assume, based on his logic, that breaking the speed limit could lead one down the path of lawlessness. That is why I asked the question.

Now on to your non-sense. You said you have driven over the speed limit and gotten a ticket. Most of us have, and most of us still speed. Why, because the threat of getting caught doesn't deter the "crime." Most people don't think driving over the speed limit is that bad, and the punishment isn't that bad if you do get caught in most cases. Similarly, if someone want to drive without a license or insurance, that is there choice and not mine. That is why I pay the uninsured motorist charge every six months on my car insurance bill. If they are willing to chance it, then the risk of getting caught and paying the fine is worth the chance.

Now in relation to the thread, I personally would have no problem letting the kid hunt my place without paying $170 for a license. If he happened to get caught, I would pay the fine. Do I think that by doing that he is going to head toward of life a crime and end up in the state pen years down the road. No. It just isn't that big of a deal. If that is the worst "crime" the kid ever commits, then he will be just fine.
1st off your respounce to him was the same as I responded to u sir.
I didn’t see where he had you in mind. You jumped in and it is the same as I. Just mine was not to your liking.
I’m fine with your long winded respounce. I’m fine with you saying. Yea take the kid hunting (poaching) I can’t throw rocks I live in a glass house.

I can say this ! The right thing to do would be to get the licenses. If you get a deer call it in. Most kids enjoy that part and they can share the hunting experience with there friends with out worry.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Whole lot of kerfluffle here over nothing.

The kid in question can hunt for $30. I feel sure that he could come up with the money by giving up very little in his life. Certainly the host could come up with it for him while giving up even less on a percentage basis.

If neither the kid not the host can afford the $30 please send me a PM and I will do my very best to raise the funds.

wtruax

How old is he? 15 and under can get a sportsman non-res for $50 and they don't need a big game and the harvest log is free?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Kid that goes to school with my son wants to go hunting. He is welcome to go with us. The problem is it will cost him $170 to go sit with my son for 2 mornings and an afternoon (ON LAND THAT I OWN AND PAY TAXES ON EVERY YEAR). I guess that he will just never get to hunt. It is okay: We don't need any young people to continue our traditions.
Unless he has had his hunter education class you might want him to just tag along for the experience and not hold a gun.Cost to hunt$0.Cost to experience hunting.$priceless.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
lots of good info here

Lots of whining going on.

If it was my son's friend I would either pay the license myself or let him hunt on the land without one.

jfarrell30339

Again. His place. But not his animals. No law against taking your rifle for a walk in your own land. But the wildlife belongs to the people of ga held in trust by the state. Wildlife isn’t owned. If you want animals to shoot any old time or without a hunting license you have to buy them. The wild ones aren’t yours.

I own land in Mi that I pay $280 for a year license to hunt. I’m not limited to my own 40 though. I have a huge amount of public land available to me as well as Lake Huron and Lake Michigan and a million other lakes and streams to fish.

For me it’s an integrity issue. If you don’t have the integrity to cough up for your license, I don’t want to be around to see where else your lack of integrity and character shows up with regard to game. It’s black and white enough for me, if you don’t “need” a license you probably don’t “need” seasons or “limits” either... and I don’t “need” to see where it stops
Well said sir and I agree. Pay the man.

JackSprat

Unless he has had his hunter education class you might want him to just tag along for the experience and not hold a gun.Cost to hunt$0.Cost to experience hunting.$priceless.

May not be the safest course of action, Game Warden wise. Read the statutory definition of "hunting". Holding a gun has very little to do with it. if he participates in the hunt, he needs a license.

But gee whiz, if it's that big a deal, pass the hat. I'll bet he has tenner shoes that cost more than the license fee.

I guess it's a personal choice, but I sure wouldn't set the example that it's o.k. to blow off the law because it's inconvenient. Read the posts here, and you will see that too many people already think that way.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
May not be the safest course of action, Game Warden wise. Read the statutory definition of "hunting". Holding a gun has very little to do with it. if he participates in the hunt, he needs a license.

But gee whiz, if it's that big a deal, pass the hat. I'll bet he has tenner shoes that cost more than the license fee.

I guess it's a personal choice, but I sure wouldn't set the example that it's o.k. to blow off the law because it's inconvenient. Read the posts here, and you will see that too many people already think that way.
:rofl::rofl:

Too many people think that way? Give me a break! I spend more money than most on the outdoors and my land. I’m what you call “sensible”. If there is a kid that can’t go hunting, I would buy him a license. Some folks can’t.

If it’s a matter of not being able to afford to buy a kid an out of state license then he/she could hunt with me for a couple of days if I couldn’t afford to do it. I would tag that animal and get the kid outdoors.

You religious law nuts make me laugh. You are forgetting a god given right. How many deer are killed a year by folks that can’t afford to hunt?

So you’re telling me you don’t break ANY laws? Not even speeding? Pfffttt...

I bet you have never ran a stop sign or broke ANY traffic law.. :rofl:

Sgajacket

Every year someone posts something that reminds me how many statists we have on the forum. There is no law above natural law, and there is nothing more natural than feeding one’s belly. The state certainly does not “own” the wildlife, though we have allowed them to regulate it. “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”

JackSprat

:rofl::rofl:

I bet you have never ran a stop sign or broke ANY traffic law.. :rofl:

I have never broken a traffic law with a teenager in the car with me.

If OP wants to hunt without a license, that's his choice. I note that he apparently has not availed himself of that option I wouldn't say a word if he 'fessed up to doing that. Encouraging and abetting a youth in interntionally disregarding the law is entirely another matter. Hunting without a license makes him a poacher - I don't know that I would want to hang that label on a kid.

Curious you mention running a stop sign, as just a week ago I got sideswiped by a 19 year old who rolled a stop at a 4 way. The fact that I had clearly stopped was the determining factor in the officer finding the other driver at fault.