OK, show of hands....

sleepr71

Take a slingshot & grab a few hickory nuts. Or....be humble,and admit that you are not camoed that well..and are moving too much(if they start barking at you)! I will say this though...once one zones in on you & starts barking...the hunt is pretty much over..in my experience

Bam Bam

Watching One Eat Some Yellow Acorns Right Now and Some Crows Hollering wanting Him to Get Out that Pile Where They Can Dive in and Eat!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bany

Every once in awhile one will bark at me and it gets bothersome. But most tell me about a deer eating their food!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive wanted too before, never have. What really gets on my nerves are chipmunks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. Squirrels are just part of the woods, a major part. I enjoy watching them. They have helped me kill a few deer over the years, too.

TimBray

Had a stand in the edge of a field years ago. When I would hunt that stand, a big ol' fox squirrel would sit in a tree about 50 ft. away telling the whole world I was there, the whole time I was in the stand. :mad: After the 3rd or 4th time, I had the thought about taking my .22 with me one day and taking care of that particular problem when I was ready to come down. Mentioned it to a friend who was a taxidermist and he said if you kill it, I'll mount it as long as you don't shoot it in the head. So it wasn't a total waste. He did a really nice job of mounting it. (y) Next time I used that stand, I got a big ol' doe. :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As for squirrels barking at you scaring deer, I defy you to sit in the woods for a short while and not hear several barking in several different places. They’re always barking-they bark at us, they bark at deer, they bark at hawks and crows, foxes, other critters, and they are all the time barking at each other too. I don’t pay it too much attention.

GeorgiaBob

When I was a kid I murdered and skinned so many of them furry tailed rats, I finally grew tired of picking up the .22 brass (dad insisted I bring out everything I took in, gum, wrapping paper, even the brass). Noisy and irritating as they can be, I still am not ready to go collect, clean, skin and cook, another rat!

PappyHoel

Nah never wanted to mess up my hunt. They are fun to watch because they do stupid things. I’ve seen a few fall 50 feet from a tree, bounce off the ground and keep going.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Heck, in my younger days I shot just about anything and everything that crawled around the woods here in GA..

I much more conservative now a days.. :wink:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Heck, in my younger days I shot just about anything and everything that crawled around the woods here in GA..

I much more conservative now a days.. :wink:
When I was growing up, “hunting” meant going out in the woods and fields with the intention of shooting anything edible that ran, hopped, crawled, climbed, slithered, or flew. It usually involved a single shot shotgun with a pocket full of shells ranging from birdshot to buckshot and punkinballs.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
When I was growing up, “hunting” meant going out in the woods and fields with the intention of shooting anything edible that ran, hopped, crawled, climbed, slithered, or flew. It usually involved a single shot shotgun with a pocket full of shells ranging from birdshot to buckshot and punkinballs.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I got stopped by a game warden many moons ago while squirrel hunting. He wanted to see what loads I was shooting. I emptied the shotgun and there was a double buckshot in there.. He wasn't too happy with me.. I was a kid so he would have had to give my dad the ticket and he was no where around. He took my buckshot and told me to continue on squirrel hunting..

My mom would hate to come home and find me in the kitchen. She never knew what was in the sink.

DSGB

I saw a white squirrel this morning in the distance. Hope to see it closer.

There's one I see at a local park regularly. Cool looking critter, but it's a wonder he hasn't gotten eaten by a hawk or something.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are areas in western NC that are thick with white squirrels.

thericcardgrp

Well I have never thought about it. I’ve had squirrels run up trees telling me they just seen something. Sometimes it’s a deer.
Deer know squirrels eat acorns and they may come around.
Squirrels are the watch dogs of the woods.

I agree have watched it many times over the years.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
How many times have you thought there were no squirrels around, then a hawk or an owl flies through, and dang squirrels go to hollering and carrying on all around you. Too funny! :bounce:

Also, I used to carry a black Frisbee with me when scouting for oak flats in swamps before hunting season. If I saw a bunch of squirrels together, I would throw that sucker towards them and scare the heck out of them. Kind of my way of showing them who's boss! :bounce: