What would you do?

campboy

My nephew who was 15 at the time killed a nice 10 pointer in November 2016. Yesterday his other uncle finds out that a picture of my nephew with his buck had been posted on the website of a hunting club that is near the property that we hunt. The picture was posted not long after he killed the buck under the website's "recent harvest photos" as if the buck had been taken ON THE CLUB'S PROPERTY. I know the club's president. I see him nearly every week at his place of employment and we are on friendly terms. I'm not a troublemaker but it upsets us that the picture was used without permission. What do y'all think?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
This is equivalent to the old butcher with a thumb on the scales.

I would first ask my nephew if this troubled him.

six

I worry about very little. A picture of me with a deer on someone's website wouldn't even get a eyebrow rise out of me. Water off a ducks back.

Firebug80

Be honored that someone thinks enough of your nephews accomplishments to add to their site.
Would not let it bother me. Family and close friends know the real story and that’s the reason we are in the woods, to enjoy valuable time with family friends. - Happy Hunting

Rabun

First off, what he's doing is deceptive and yes, it would bother me if someone posted my Son's picture on their website without my consent (assuming he's a minor) just so the owner could enhance the status of his club. What do your Nephews parents think of it?

campboy

First off, what he's doing is deceptive and yes, it would bother me if someone posted my Son's picture on their website without my consent (assuming he's a minor) just so the owner could enhance the status of his club. What do your Nephews parents think of it?

My nephew is under the care of myself and his other uncle. He was a minor at the time the picture was posted. His other uncle is upset as well. My nephew doesn't like it either.

campboy

I'm not trying to blow things out of proportion. But its as if the president of the hunting club wants to take some of the credit. This deer was legally harvested on private property we have permission to hunt. I think there is some jealousy involved.

Killdee

Sounds like he’s using the picture to draw members maybe. He should have asked permission and indicated it was off his lease killed nearby.

shootemall

If you are on friendly terms, I would approach him, and ask for it to be removed. No need to lose your cool, you can't get that lost time back that it was on the website. Personally I wouldn't justify why to take the pic down, rather as a friendly acquaintance he'll probably respect your request. You can send him a cease and desist letter if it gets contentious, but I doubt it'll go that far.

bonecollector123

I would scissor kick him in his gizzard and break his karate artery ! Im joking of course if you nephew don't want it on the guys website I would just ask him to take it down. Not really cool to draw people to his club using deer killed somewhere else for sure.

ucfireman

I don't see the problem unless the picture is of a dirty nature. You get your picture taken everyday without your knowing, so does your son. If it isn't an unlawful pic then who cares

shootemall

I am not an attorney, but my understanding of the law is that there is no reasonable expectation for privacy in public places. Hence the paparazzi taking pics of celebrities when they are out. So if the club had taken the boy's pic, at the processor you wouldn't have any recourse. However, if you took the pic, and it was on private property, and his image/likeness is being used to sell a product (their lease/club), then they could be in violation of copyright infringement. But getting any damages would be unlikely, and would cost more than I imagine that you want to pay in legal fees. I don't know any of you involved, but I'd argue that there is no malicious intent, and if you have privacy concerns for a minor, you should approach the man. I think he'll remove it if asked.

BeerThirty

Frankly, the club president should have asked for permission. That would have been the gentleman's thing to do, and it should have been the first thing he done. Secondly, he's using the picture essentially as false advertising which is wrong and I wouldn't want to be associated with that. I could understand if the picture was on a "buck board" or something like that, or even a page of bucks from nearby properties, but this club president is now using a photo of your nephew to profit. Not right.

Gone Fishin

I would be nice and just ask him to take it down. "Hey ___, could you take down the photo of my nephew? He doesn't want his photo on the internet."