Heaviest GA Deer?

Cmcharles

What’s the heaviest deer you’ve killed in GA? I bested my previous biggest bodied deer last weekend with a 256 pound 9 point. I’ve always been meticulous about weighing deer and keeping records of bucks killed. Previously I had killed a 245 pound 11 point off this farm. Most of our bucks average 200-210 pounds. I killed a 9 last weekend that was on the hit list for the year, not a huge racked high scoring deer but he’s a mature one. I had him guessed at 220ish pounds, turns out he was way longer and bigger bodied than most of our deer. I was pretty surprised when the scale went to 256, I even weighed myself to double check.

I’d be interested to hear what some of your biggest bodied deer weighed?
741BBF9C-DCC8-43B5-A2ED-EF3FEA0B7D08.jpegC3A7B0E0-0299-4DB6-957C-8CD3B6F47ECB.jpeg33CD0296-0A62-427E-A513-9FE2460C174D.png

Blackston

I'm 6 ' 8" 305 Don't know but he was Big

Attachments

• IMG_0317.PNG
    IMG_0317.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 239

Boondocks

You shot a very healthy mature buck.He was a good bloodline to pass along for more big deer.Nice one.

six

217 for me.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
232 pounds on certified scales. I know of several more i`ve killed that were close to the same, and one definitley more.

The mtn man

I've never weighed one with guts in it, I've weighed a few field dressed, my biggest were around 160#. Mountain bucks I suppose, I had an uncle that shot a buck on chatahoochee wma, aged at 5.5 years old by dnr, 137" 9 pointer that dressed out at 112#. I guess if you add about 25% to the bucks I have weighed gutted it would come out close to 200. Mountain bucks don't grow as big as flatland bucks typically.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
My biggest was field dressed and guaranteed guesstimated by the taxidermist at over 200lbs. I bet the price of the mount it wasn’t and lost. 202 on the money dressed out. At that point I wish I weighed it not dressed. Filled the truck like no other.

Cmcharles

Those are all great bucks! Cool old thread, philbow, nice to see how many large deer are actually in GA.

EDH

I killed one on ONF about 15 years ago that dressed 185lbs on the scales at processors. I ran into a guy down there the next year after he had killed a nice buck. He turned out to be a member here and sent me a trailcam picture that he had gotten of it. I wish I still had that picture.

The mtn man

There are parts of Georgia that have bucks with body weights that will rival those northern states, I've shot bucks in Maine that dressed in the 200s, but they are not as common as you think. I'm sure some of you know this, but there was a Georgia buck shot years ago that dressed around 350. I'm sure it could be find by Google. The Georgia mountain region does not produce those heavy weights though,

The mtn man

I killed one on ONF about 15 years ago that dressed 185lbs on the scales at processors. I ran into a guy down there the next year after he had killed a nice buck. He turned out to be a member here and sent me a trailcam picture that he had gotten of it. I wish I still had that picture.
Add about 25% to that, should be close to what your buck weighed on the hoof. That theory has been tested many times.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
There are parts of Georgia that have bucks with body weights that will rival those northern states, I've shot bucks in Maine that dressed in the 200s, but they are not as common as you think. I'm sure some of you know this, but there was a Georgia buck shot years ago that dressed around 350. I'm sure it could be find by Google. The Georgia mountain region does not produce those heavy weights though,

That buck field dressed 355 pounds and was killed in Worth County. A friend of mine, the late Dr. Kenny Waldrop killed a buck on Wiregrass Plantation in Worth County that weighed 417 on the hoof. Freak buck that had no "breeding assembly". Antlers stayed in velvet. My buddy whose land I hunt here by the house in Lee County has killed one that pushed 300 on the hoof, and my son has killed a buck on his place that weighed 250 and another we didn`t weigh that was considerable more than the 250 was.

A lot of big bucks around here you won`t ever hear about.

Jeff Raines

My uncle Tony Mitchell killed an 8 pointer that scored 156 7/8 in Hancock County in 1973 that dressed at 285.It was certified with Georgia deer registry.

What’s the heaviest deer you’ve killed in GA? I bested my previous biggest bodied deer last weekend with a 256 pound 9 point. I’ve always been meticulous about weighing deer and keeping records of bucks killed. Previously I had killed a 245 pound 11 point off this farm. Most of our bucks average 200-210 pounds. I killed a 9 last weekend that was on the hit list for the year, not a huge racked high scoring deer but he’s a mature one. I had him guessed at 220ish pounds, turns out he was way longer and bigger bodied than most of our deer. I was pretty surprised when the scale went to 256, I even weighed myself to double check.

I’d be interested to hear what some of your biggest bodied deer weighed?
View attachment 948656View attachment 948657View attachment 948659
great buck no doubt, congrats. AWESOME!

I ran a deer processor for many years and the biggest one I ever saw came from Macon County. He field dressed 266. That buck did weight 300 plus before we gutted it.

The mtn man

My uncle Tony Mitchell killed an 8 pointer that scored 156 7/8 in Hancock County in 1973 that dressed at 285.It was certified with Georgia deer registry.
Someone had a trail cam pick of one on the forum this year from Hancock county that was a tank. He never posted it if they caught up with it.