Leading atheist defends aborting babies with Down's syndrome

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I agree, Walt. I once got caught up in the tangled jungle of technical questions and realized that the only thing that was solid is if we leave this fertilized cell alone it will continue to develop through time to become a senior citizen. The second we destroy it, or nature itself ends it, it is no longer “living” at whatever stage it’s in and the development process is over.
Makes me wonder what the predestiny believers think about abortion.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I agree, Walt. I once got caught up in the tangled jungle of technical questions and realized that the only thing that was solid is if we leave this fertilized cell alone it will continue to develop through time to become a senior citizen. The second we destroy it, or nature itself ends it, it is no longer “living” at whatever stage it’s in and the development process is over.
Yep. If we interfere we do so with no knowledge of the extent of the consequences. Might as well be shooting into a covey rise blindfolded.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I have no argument against calling a fertilized egg "alive", or "a person". In that sense we are in complete agreement about what it is. My argument is about what kind of rights it has.

Again, right back to the OP. Differentiation of rights based on status, age, sex, race, ethnicity, etc. Either all have EQUAL rights OR rights are decided by those in power.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Makes me wonder what the predestiny believers think about abortion.

I’m not real sure but when I hear some predestinary believers.......I am sometimes confused and left wondering if they’re really trying to explain “predestined” or “all knowing”.

WaltL1

Yep. If we interfere we do so with no knowledge of the extent of the consequences. Might as well be shooting into a covey rise blindfolded.
Spotlite said:
If there is a good argument against your point...…. I cant think of it.
Bottom line is fertilization is the beginning of the process of "life" (or not).
Then we are back to the age old argument - what does "life" mean? Legally anyway.

ambush80

Again, right back to the OP. Differentiation of rights based on status, age, sex, race, ethnicity, etc. Either all have EQUAL rights OR rights are decided by those in power.

Do you believe that euthanasia under any circumstances is a sin? How about capitol punishment?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Do you believe that euthanasia under any circumstances is a sin? How about capitol punishment?

That would depend on what you define as euthanasia. I’m fine with capital punishment. Personally I think it should be utilized a lot more than it is.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Why does sin have to be the reason? As a society we should only regulate things to protect and secure.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Bottom line is fertilization is the beginning of the process of "life" (or not).
Then we are back to the age old argument - what does "life" mean? Legally anyway.
I think before I answer, I’m going to research a little on those that were charged with the murder of an unborn child.

gemcgrew

Are you fine with them because of that?
Where did I indicate that I was fine with them? I am predestined not to be fine with them. Even when I was a practicing Atheist, I was not fine with them.

Can you provide an example of when an abortion is not predestined(determined beforehand)?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Where did I indicate that I was fine with them? I am predestined not to be fine with them. Even when I was a practicing Atheist, I was not fine with them.

Can you provide an example of when an abortion is not predestined(determined beforehand)?
You didn't indicate that you were fine with them, that is why I asked.
According to your beliefs, yes you would be exactly as you are at every moment.
As a non believer you have that option.

A miscarriage would be natures abortion and a result of the circumstances not determined ahead of time.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I think before I answer, I’m going to research a little on those that were charged with the murder of an unborn child.
Based on the link, legally life begins at fertilization when considering the “at any stage of development” clauses.

Not that I agree with it but - having the right to live? Appears to be based on the “mothers consent” until birth or until a certain stage of pregnancy in states that regulate it by trimester.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/fetal-homicide-state-laws.aspx

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Your example confirms my position. Can you see it(deduce logically)?
I have. An instance where something occured such as a fall, accident, or trauma where the sudden action caused a chain of events that triggered the body to abort. Nobody planned for it to happen. It was not determined it was a result.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Not yet. You are still working through it.
The work is ended as far as anyone predetermining and making a willful choice to abort unless I introduce an unproven factor into the mix.