A Welcome break from things political...

normaldave

GON Weatherman
So I dusted off the ol' gearhead brain, and tools to help a friend with his '79 Jeep J20 4-speed pickup. Started with a broken distributor drive, ended up with a rebuilt engine. This family farm truck is currently under the care of the third generation.

While this is an "all things motorized" style post, It just seemed ironic, The Red, White, and Blue, of an American Motors Truck, getting a 360 cubic inch dose of American V8 iron stuffed back under the hood, during deer season, well, it just makes an old school guy smile.
DsPd6HiV4AAYdEP.jpg

Bam!
DsPd6FxU0AA63aO.jpg

I vote for: "-Merica"
DsPQva6UUAEfsCX.jpg

Life is Good. :flag:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
AWESOME!

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Thanks, I'll pass it along.
He's really brought it a long way from it's farm truck days, painted it himself, done the work himself, learning everything each step of the way, as he's not a mechanic by trade or hobby.
Before and after pics.
V__A4ED.jpgV__9F7B.jpg
I was concerned I had forgotten what I used to know, mechanically speaking. Good to be back in the saddle, turning wrenches on old iron, after a while.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
What did the 360 come out of or is it a Crate engine?

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Original engine, freshened up, (well technically the second one, a replacement), dropped in back in the 80's from another donor vehicle. Factory AMC 360 V-8, Borg Warner T-18 4-speed, granny first gear, Dana rear.

This one went to the local machine shop, Two cylinders down on pressure, required a valve job, and crankshaft end play was out of spec, common on a 4-speed in a big heavy truck. Stock bore was good, so original pistons stayed in place, everything else freshened up. Upgraded to a Melling RV/torque spec camshaft kit, should pull like a mule team when done.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I wouldn’t mind owning one of those. The ones I’m familiar with had a straight six or a 302.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Good looking job, still needs a gun rack in the rear window.
Aha! look closely in the first post pictures from today, during the install. The "after' picture is older, no gun rack. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it, but it's there. :fine:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Original engine, freshened up, (well technically the second one, a replacement), dropped in back in the 80's from another donor vehicle. Factory AMC 360 V-8, Borg Warner T-18 4-speed, granny first gear, Dana rear.

This one went to the local machine shop, Two cylinders down on pressure, required a valve job, and crankshaft end play was out of spec, common on a 4-speed in a big heavy truck. Stock bore was good, so original pistons stayed in place, everything else freshened up. Upgraded to a Melling RV/torque spec camshaft kit, should pull like a mule team when done.

The 360 was a good engine and was a True AMC engine. After Chrysler bought them out, in 1987, they continued to use the engine through 1991.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I love that Gladiator/M715 grill he put on that truck. Looks a lot better than the rectangular headlight original. That is a nice truck.

The 360 is a sweet mill. I have a warmed up 360 in my CJ8.

someguyintraffic

" with your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run "

normaldave

GON Weatherman
" with your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run "
Good one, although I was thinking "Manic Mechanic" for this project:
(Sharp eyed viewers will notice it's a factory 2-barrel, but, he's got 3.73 gears, limited slip differential, 4-speed with granny first gear, and now a motor now tuned for torque, so we can dream a bit can't we?)

Thanks for all the comments, he's having a ball, and the feedback from you kind folks is very motivating. We're hoping to fire it up Tuesday night, break-in the motor, then it's hitting the road home to the family farm on Thanksgiving, if everything checks out, wish us luck (and skill).

NOYDB

BANNED
Good one, although I was thinking "Manic Mechanic" for this project:
(Sharp eyed viewers will notice it's a factory 2-barrel, but, he's got 3.73 gears, limited slip differential, 4-speed with granny first gear, and now a motor now tuned for torque, so we can dream a bit can't we?)

Thanks for all the comments, he's having a ball, and the feedback from you kind folks is very motivating. We're hoping to fire it up Tuesday night, break-in the motor, then it's hitting the road home to the family farm on Thanksgiving, if everything checks out, wish us luck (and skill).

Luck and more luck, enjoy!

NugeForPres

That's pretty cool. Makes me want to start wrenching on Dad's old farm truck.