Vacuum Sealer?!?

gabowman

Wanting somethin a little better than the FoodSaver types you get in stores that last a couple years and theyre done. What you got and how do you like it? Dislikes? Recommendations?.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
My Food Saver brand is going strong at 20+ years and counting. They might have made them better back then though.

I've got a blender that's 40 years old too so maybe the one thing I'm lucky at life in is small appliances.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m just now on my second walmart foodsaver after 20-some years, and we use it almost daily.

Rick Alexander

If you're really into this - a better way is to go heavy on the machine investment and light on the bag costs using this type machine. Bags are a TINY fraction of food saver bags (like 1/10th the cost if you buy in bulk) - cheap enough to pay for the machine in a few years if you use it much - and the biggest advantage is liquids seal up fine. Even soups and chili will seal up great and you can use boiling quality bags which make camping cooking a breeze. Try sealing soup in a food saver style sealer.

https://www.meatprocessingproducts....qeqTpqElUHmInpG8syhpOOdjF061ksoRoCSqIQAvD_BwE

Big sounding investment I know but this is a once in a lifetime costs that will definitely pay for itself in reducing wasted food and bag costs.

gabowman

I wasn't really looking at chamber vacuum sealers but do have my eye on either the Weston Pro 2100 (or 2300) but am also looking for some thoughts on a bit cheaper vacuum sealer the LEM MaxVac 500. I'm still undecided because like others have said the cheap vacuum sealers is what Ive been getting by with for years but mine's about on the blink now. I was hoping to get some "real world" experience from those higher end vacuum sealers I've been eyeballing.

Mauser

Vacmaster vp215,it's a chamber machine. I got mine from Amazon, used like new condition, new machine but the packaging was damaged. Saved about 400$ You can vacuum seal liquids, so no more bad seals from the juice being pulled out of the meat. We use it to package spaghetti,chili,chicken and dumplings for quick meals, Plus no waiting between seals.

LTZ25

I wasn't really looking at chamber vacuum sealers but do have my eye on either the Weston Pro 2100 (or 2300) but am also looking for some thoughts on a bit cheaper vacuum sealer the LEM MaxVac 500. I'm still undecided because like others have said the cheap vacuum sealers is what Ive been getting by with for years but mine's about on the blink now. I was hoping to get some "real world" experience from those higher end vacuum sealers I've been eyeballing.
I’ve got a Wesson 2300 and have had trouble with the heat strip ( it terrible) and just bought a $60 unit on amazon and it very easy to use and don’t use the same heat strip and does a better job , it’s a Cosori brand.

ninjaneer

I've had a foodsaver going on 15 yrs. Seals got where they would work even after pulling them out turning over etc. Called customer support, they sent me 4 replacements for free.(only needed two) Works like a champ. They are proud of their bags.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a foodsaver going on 15 yrs. Seals got where they would work even after pulling them out turning over etc. Called customer support, they sent me 4 replacements for free.(only needed two) Works like a champ. They are proud of their bags.
You can reuse those bags several times, though.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I bought a Model 3400 Series FoodSaver from Walmart back in November of 2012 and it continues to work perfectly. I bought it on sale and saved $20 upfront and then also bought additional sealer bags when they were on sale over the years. I also used it recently in sealing up the cubed and also ground deer meat. It does everything that I need to keep the deer meat just like fresh for several years in the freezer at - 20° F.

gabowman

I just bought a Foodsaver 3420. From the reviews on that particular website it was rated at 5 stars. It normally runs for @ $150 and I found it on sale for $45 during Black Friday. For that price I said...."Why not!" ;):)

ninjaneer

3420 is still on sale I just bought one as a spare. They have two for one on the rolls of bags too. Foodsavers website.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hear tale that my mother in law got us a foodsaver for Christmas. Can't wait to try it out.
If mine blew up tomorrow morning, I'd have another one by dark.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If mine blew up tomorrow morning, I'd have another one by dark.

Same here. I'd hit Bass Pro on my way to work and if they didn't have one I'd hit Bed, Bath and Beyond on the way home. If they were out I'd order one on Amazon and drive to wherever their warehouse is to pick it up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe my days of freezing in gallon Ziploc bags are over.
Mine are long gone. It's like a bicycle vs. a F150. Besides deer meat, I use it for all kinds of stuff. You can freeze fish fillets with no water, and they'll keep twice as long as the one frozen in water, and thaw out quick. Cheese, meat, fish, veggies, all kinds of stuff. Want some dry socks camping in a downpour? :)

bassboy1

3420 is still on sale I just bought one as a spare. They have two for one on the rolls of bags too. Foodsavers website.
Do you mean 3240, or is there really a 3420 that I can't find? I probably should get my dad a new one, so he'll quit borrowing mine.

He's got one of the lower end ones, and keeps breaking the knob on the end.