2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

Steven037

Hope it keeps going through the weekend. We’ll be down Friday thru Sunday. Can’t wait to get back in the woods. Also, fire tower said that being so busy they aren’t taking any hogs right now.

transfixer

Three of us have been in the woods since Saturday, one of the guys made a bad shot on a huge buck, antlers way out past his ears, it evidently was a low gut shot, very little blood and then it disappeared, pretty sure it ran onto the neighboring clubs land, hopefully someone will find the rack at some point . Other than that we've had good movement, I'm still seeing scrubs bucks, I came home tonight but headed back to OC in the morning, should be good between now and Friday, rain supposed to move in Friday afternoon.

jbird1

Well it turned out to be a Great weekend...we even stayed an extra night since the boys were out of school and this would likely be our last chance to hunt this year. Saturday morning, my 16 yr. old killed his first mature deer...a rutty, big bodied main frame six point with a third beam to make it a 7. This interesting part was that my 9 yr old and I watched this deer cross the river and make a scrape 15 yds from us as we were OTG. Then the deer headed up the creek to my other son. I had remarked to my 9 year old that he would be a great deer for his brother. 10 minutes later, we heard the shot. Other than that deer, lots of does were seen a pair were taken. It was a great season, although compressed for us due to other obligations. I'll be following along with all those who are fortunate enough to keep hunting through the season. Good Hunting to all!

Buford_Dawg

Happy Turkey Day to all you OC hunters and friends. Been a great season to be thankful for our camp. Camping and hunting with friends and family sure is fun. And I have meet some new folks on this forum and had the priviledge to socialize, eat outstanding meals and make new friends. I spent most of this week in the woods and saw deer about every sit, nothing we wanted to harvest or that meet club rules, but it was terrific to be able to enjoy those sunrises and sunsets every day. Wonderful weather. I think the deer on my clubs are pretty much done with the Rut. Between Sat Nov 10th and Sunday Nov 18th, it was full blast, but we really saw it die down this week. Looks like secondary rut will be that same period in December if I had to guess. Good luck to those of you hunting this weekend. Gonna go back and hunt tomorrow and then go to Athens Saturday to watch UGA-Tech game, should be a good one.

transfixer

I agree with BD about the rut in OC, seems to have faded on our lease, a couple of nice bucks were seen first part of the week, unfortunately not by me,, lol, fantastic week to be in the woods though ! I saw plenty of deer, just no shooters, had planned to stay and hunt all day today too, but the weather nixed that, too windy today for my liking .

Triple C

Pretty good week at the Triple C. Wife stayed down since last weekend to prepare for Thanksgiving. I arrived mid afternoon Wednesday. Hunted a little while Wednesday afternoon and made an attempt to slip up on a doe and slide an arrow thru her vitals but eventually got busted with movement. Back in the day I killed quite a few deer still hunting with compound. Not as much luck with recurve these days but who cares...just enjoy trying.

Got back up to cabin before dark and started a fire in the pit. Wife and I were enjoying the cool late afternoon about an hour before dark. All of a sudden I see a huge narly boar coming up out of the pines into the cabin field. We've been seeing him regular for the past month or so. I've missed him twice with recurve. I ain't very good outside of 12 yds. Told the Ms. to sit still and I eased into the cabin and grabbed the .270. Eased back out on the porch and leaned up against one of the post and told wife to cover her ears. Squeezed off and he dropped like a rock. Carried my side arm down to him just in case. He was a biggun!
IMG_0780.jpg

Thanksgiving day we had the whole crew down. Prepared a couple of turkeys on the Traeger and bout 4:30 we all sat down to eat a feast. My absolute favorite meal of the year and favorite holiday of the year. Wife's cornbread sage dressing is her mom's recipe and I promise it is good stuff. Loaded all the grandkids up after dinner and set off to find a Christmas tree. Years ago we would let the grandkids find a cedar to their liking and cut it for our tree. These days, son buys a Frazier fir and we just hide it amongst the pines and let em think it's growing. Tradition is to decorate the tree that night and I'd have to say they did a fine job this year.
IMG_1309.jpg

Friday morning, both sons, grandson and I hunted. Everybody saw deer but all got a pass. The forecast for Friday afternoon was for rain to begin around 4:00. Same crew went back out for the afternoon hunt. Our oldest grandson is 14. He's take 2 bucks from the farm since 2012 but none since he started hunting by himself last year. He wanted to hunt what we call the upper-lower plot stand. It's at the far end of our property and is just a beautiful sit. Long, linear plot with hardwood draws on each side and swamp just to the south. At 4:30 I hear him shoot. Around 5:15 his dad comes driving up to my stand in the Ranger and tells me he went down to check on Jaden but he wasn't at stand. We headed back down and met him on the road heading back up. He tells us he shot a good one but couldn't find blood or the deer. Shot was 125 yds. Buck came running across the plot and stopped at the edge. He puts cross hairs on his chest and squeezes off.

We have abut 20 minutes of day light left. It had been raining off and on. We go to where he said the buck was standing and sure enough, no blood or hair. He said the buck kicked when he shot and thought he put a good shot on it. I left son and grandson at shot sight looking for blood and headed off into the hardwood draw walking toward the swamp. About 50 yds down the draw and just before I turned around to go back I see what I think is a deer. It's belly wasn't facing me so I couldn't tell if it was a log or deer. As I got closer I saw the antlers. Gave a shout and the celebration began.

Son has passed on the buck twice with his bow and prior to grandson shooting him, said if he had a do over he'd probably have shot this buck. He's not gonna get the chance on this one again. Grandson claimed him! IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

All in all...a fantastic week in OC. Happy Thanksgiving to all and best of luck rest of season!

Duff

Man o man Mr C! What a great week for your family!!!!

Todd E

Precious memories, TripC.
Awesome boar hog, yet I know you don't love em like I do. LoL
I've been on vacation for two weeks now. For the past week, I've been on restriction...no hunting...no lawn work. Grandkids in town. So, I haven't been in the woods all week. Did squeak a pig out of the trap today. 46518988_2116670945031462_2531417947184824320_n.jpg

Buford_Dawg

CCC, good stuff there. Great to be able to spend time with family and friends at deer camp. Glad you took down that old big boar, I believe we had another one taken down last week about same size over on the other side of road I heard. We hunted one last morning on Friday, saw several deer, wind was rough, but deer moved some. Went to Athens and watched the Dawgs take care of business against the Nats. I dont know numbers, but I heard of several deer killed at my clubs in SC and Glades areas. Lots of duck hunting going on at daylight. I think I am concentrating on hogs now for rest of season, try to get a couple more for the freezer.

Steven037

Another good morning in the stand. Saw 16. All does and yearling. Decided to go ahead and take another doe. That makes three big does for me this year. They moved really well this morning in the fog.

Todd E

Thinking Todd could start his own hog eradication biz and do pretty good at it...

If I had $8k in blow money, I've got the ultimate trap picked out for me. LoL
Nobody wants hogs on their land, yet they aren't willing to pay. I think I'm at 51 pigs killed off this one tract of dirt. I don't even wanna think about what my bait bill is.

But.......it sho is fun. LoL

Arrow3

Great stuff guys! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I was off for 4 days and only really hunted once . My friend took his daughter and hunted about 300 yards from me Thanksgiving morning and she took her 1st deer, a nice 8 pointer. Being tagged out is a blessing and a curse ?

lungbuster123

Nice to see everyone having success this year! Might be a long shot, but I'm a Deputy with Hall County. Myself and a couple other guys from work are looking for some property around Oconee or Ogelthorpe Counties to lease for next year. Haven't had much time to do any serious hunting the last few years with work, but my son just turned 10 and im in a position now that allows me every weekend off so I want a good place to start getting him in the woods more. If anyone knows of some land that may be available please let me know.

Steven037

What part of Oglethorpe are you in? We’re on Goose pond and little Goose pond up 77. We’ve trapped 45 so far this year.