Osteoarthritis Help

dslc6487

Anyone on the forum ever tried tart cherry juice for joint pain and inflammation due to arthritis. I have severe arthritis is both of my shoulders and have had multiple side effects from many of the medications for arthritis. Mainly I have stomach problems from the NSAIDS; aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve, etc.. Looking for natural alternatives if I can find one. Docs tell me that about all they can do is replace my shoulders and I am 72 years old and just do not want to go there. If anyone out there can offer me any advice or help in the treatment of arthritis, I would appreciate any advice that you can give to me. Thank you very much in advance.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Not sure about arthritis, but I used the cherry juice to get over a case of gout in my toe back in January.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
If you try the cherry juice, look for The FruitFast concentrate. You mix a couple of table spoons with a glass of water a few times a day. It works and won't curl your toes like the straight juice will.

Quepos1

Turmeric has great anti inflammatory properties that many swear by for arthritis. You can buy capsules on line or any drug store etc

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nothing I`ve tried works, and I`ve tried a lot, both over the counter and doctor prescribed. I hope you have better luck than I have finding something that works for you.

sinclair1

I have RA under control with a gallon of water, sardines and very limited sugar. Limiting sugar is harder than it looks as everything is loaded. Now days even a hotdog and bun have more sugar than my daily goal of added sugars. When I have ribs or something loaded, I just act right for 3 consecutive days.

I am having some pain now after digging in a pecan pie and cranberry sauce. I watch salt only because it messes with my high water intake.

I realize few people can eat strict but I tossed Mobic for RA 10 years ago. If your older and already worn out the joints, not sure what can help as I am in the preventive action phase and RA differs as far as cartilage damage goes.

Reactions: Dub

Quepos1

I have both rheumatoid and psoratic arthritis and am on Embrel which I self inject twice weekly. It has been a miracle drug for me because it not only alleviates the symptoms but prevents further damage to my joints.

dslc6487

Thanks for all of the help. I got some tart cherry juice today and I am going to try it for a while. Also got some tart cherry capsules and some ginger. I am going to start slow with the cherry juice. I started off today with a couple of ounces of juice in a glass of water. Want to do this for about a week and then increase the amount of juice. I probably should have gotten the concentrate, but I did not. I will see how the juice goes. If all goes well with the juice, I will go to the capsules and try them once a day and then twice a day for a while and see if that helps. If capsules go ok, then will add ginger and see how it goes. Have heard good things about turmeric, but tried it one time and it really caused me to have diarrhea. Also, when trying tart cherry concentrate a couple of years ago, it caused me some stomach pain. Just on a search and rescue mission with my osteoarthritis. I have got to find something that will relieve my pain. My pain level is at almost a constant 7 all the time. I have some hydrocodone that I can take, and I will take it if pain becomes bad enough, but I am scared of becoming addicted to it. People say that you have to keep increasing the dosage the longer you take it as the level that helps seems to wear out. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated. Really do not want to go the shoulder replacement route either.

TJay

If you drinking tart cherry juice try mixing it with coconut water. That's what I used for hydration on hunting trips out west.

baddave

blue emu works wonders for my arthritis . thumbs and knees .. i don't know if we have the same thing , just saying.. i hope the best for ya .. man told me if I'm gonna get old i better get tough

Dub

I’ve got to have both knees and my right shoulder replaced. Just turned 50.

I take a prescription NSAID (Diclofenac Sodium 75mg) pill twice a day. It’s causing some issues and it’s only partially effective.

I may try some of these alternative approaches, too.

http://blog.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet-cherries/

I’m looking forward to the day when medical marijuana is something I could test run.

Last edited:

dslc6487

Dub: Had both of my knees replaced. Left one in March 2010, right one in March 2011. Gave me a new lease on life. I was on a walking stick before surgery and sometimes on a walker. Had them done at Hughston Clinic in Columbus. My surgeon, Dr. Carlton Savory has since retired. Therapy was rough, but after therapy, and a few months, I can honestly say that I have not had a single pain to either knee. And, I can do anything that I want to. I love to squirrel hunt with my dogs and go 3 or 4 times a week. No problem and no pain. Dr. Savory told me not to be doing any running and not to jump down from a high place. Therefore, to keep from running I conceal carry and to keep from jumping from a high place, I stay off ladders. I would recommend that you get a great surgeon, one that has done a lot of them. Dr. Savory was my savior as far as my knee replacements go. If only I could get some relief from my shoulders. I am in constant pain and the pain level is pretty high. Thanks for the link. I have just started looking as some of these also. I am already taking the tart cherry juice, but have only been on it a couple of days. I am going to look for every alternative that I can and see if I can get some relief. I really do not want to go the shoulder replacement route unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

Good luck, my friend, and I hope and pray that all goes well for you with your knee and shoulder replacements.

Dub

Dub: Had both of my knees replaced. Left one in March 2010, right one in March 2011. Gave me a new lease on life. I was on a walking stick before surgery and sometimes on a walker. Had them done at Hughston Clinic in Columbus. My surgeon, Dr. Carlton Savory has since retired. Therapy was rough, but after therapy, and a few months, I can honestly say that I have not had a single pain to either knee. And, I can do anything that I want to. I love to squirrel hunt with my dogs and go 3 or 4 times a week. No problem and no pain. Dr. Savory told me not to be doing any running and not to jump down from a high place. Therefore, to keep from running I conceal carry and to keep from jumping from a high place, I stay off ladders. I would recommend that you get a great surgeon, one that has done a lot of them. Dr. Savory was my savior as far as my knee replacements go. If only I could get some relief from my shoulders. I am in constant pain and the pain level is pretty high. Thanks for the link. I have just started looking as some of these also. I am already taking the tart cherry juice, but have only been on it a couple of days. I am going to look for every alternative that I can and see if I can get some relief. I really do not want to go the shoulder replacement route unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

Good luck, my friend, and I hope and pray that all goes well for you with your knee and shoulder replacements.

Thank you very much !!!!!

I was on target to have them done already, but had a disc injury occur and had to get it addressed with surgery. The recovery from that sorta put all sorts of stuff on hold.....everything except work....kept on knocking out 13+ hour workdays and using days off to rest & recover.

No hunting....no gym time....none of the fun stuff I was doing outdoors that helped to alleviate stress and relax. Has been mighty aggravating.

I'm setting things up and planning for success. Using 2019 to get in tip top physical shape...and then in January 2020 having the left knee done....then....hopefully a few months later the right knee.....then the shoulder in December 2020. Sounds crazy, but it'll be done.

Looking forward to the pain free times ahead.

I've got a decade+ of work years left and lots of deer hunting, fishing and fun stuff that I want to go after. Wife is wanting to do some traveling, too.

Thanks. Looking forward to fun times ahead.

Redbow

I am 72 years old also and have had this mess for 26 years...I haven't found much that helps me either, sure would like to though...It just gets worse with time just as my Doctor said it would many years ago...

dslc6487

Thanks for all of your posts and help. Just making it from day to day with my shoulders. As mentioned, doctors say all they can do is replace them and I do not want to go there yet. I guess if pain gets bad enough I may change my mind. Have bone on bone and daily pain level is high. Have hard time sleeping at night, but using the Voltaren gel does help. It also helps that I have a high tolerance for pain. I still am able to take care of a few goats and chickens on my farm and I still squirrel hunt quite a bit. Pull on a lot of vines while hunting. Hurts like h**l but I ain't going to let my shoulder pain consume my life. I now try to limit myself to doing those things that I really enjoy. I used to do all of the maintenance work on my vehicles, but I don't do that any more. I have a great mechanic that does all of my work, including oil changes. Hanging in there from day to day. I do have injections scheduled for both shoulders on Dec. 18. Last time I had them done in August and it helped for about 6 weeks, but then the pain came back. Insurance will only pay for 3 a year, which is about every 4 months. Sure do wish I could find something that would last longer, but docs say there is nothing. Synvisc injections have not been approved for shoulders. I had them done on my knees before I had them replaced and they helped quite a bit. Don't know why the FDA will not approve them for shoulders.
All of my friends out there with arthritis, hang in there, we are still vertical and taking nourishment and that beats the alternative.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Steroid/cortizone injections ?? Hope you get some relief soon !

dslc6487

Yep, exactly right. Have them in both shoulders. Really helps with pain for about 6 weeks. Then it gradually wears off. It would probably last longer if I was not so active, but I don't plan on sitting around and let the pain win. I am going to keep up with my regular activities as long as I can. Know one day that i will really have to cut back on some of the things that I enjoy, but not right now. It would really help if I could take the NSAIDS, but I cannot. They give me terrible stomach pain and have caused ulcers in my stomach. Took Celebrex for about 2 years and it was the best medicine that I have ever taken for arthritis, but it suddenly put me in the hospital and I had to quit taking it and now I cannot even take a children's Advil, Motrin, etc..
But, that's life. Look around and see people in lots worse shape than me.
Thanks all and take care.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Yep, exactly right. Have them in both shoulders. Really helps with pain for about 6 weeks. Then it gradually wears off. It would probably last longer if I was not so active, but I don't plan on sitting around and let the pain win. I am going to keep up with my regular activities as long as I can. Know one day that i will really have to cut back on some of the things that I enjoy, but not right now. It would really help if I could take the NSAIDS, but I cannot. They give me terrible stomach pain and have caused ulcers in my stomach. Took Celebrex for about 2 years and it was the best medicine that I have ever taken for arthritis, but it suddenly put me in the hospital and I had to quit taking it and now I cannot even take a children's Advil, Motrin, etc..
But, that's life. Look around and see people in lots worse shape than me.
Thanks all and take care.

Hang in there bro !!!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Thanks for all of your posts and help. Just making it from day to day with my shoulders. As mentioned, doctors say all they can do is replace them and I do not want to go there yet. I guess if pain gets bad enough I may change my mind. Have bone on bone and daily pain level is high. Have hard time sleeping at night, but using the Voltaren gel does help. It also helps that I have a high tolerance for pain. I still am able to take care of a few goats and chickens on my farm and I still squirrel hunt quite a bit. Pull on a lot of vines while hunting. Hurts like h**l but I ain't going to let my shoulder pain consume my life. I now try to limit myself to doing those things that I really enjoy. I used to do all of the maintenance work on my vehicles, but I don't do that any more. I have a great mechanic that does all of my work, including oil changes. Hanging in there from day to day. I do have injections scheduled for both shoulders on Dec. 18. Last time I had them done in August and it helped for about 6 weeks, but then the pain came back. Insurance will only pay for 3 a year, which is about every 4 months. Sure do wish I could find something that would last longer, but docs say there is nothing. Synvisc injections have not been approved for shoulders. I had them done on my knees before I had them replaced and they helped quite a bit. Don't know why the FDA will not approve them for shoulders.
All of my friends out there with arthritis, hang in there, we are still vertical and taking nourishment and that beats the alternative.
Mind over matter is the best medicine! Just keep tell'n yourself that you own it and won't let it own you. Do what you can, when you can.. and when you can't.. rest a bit. I applaud your gumption.