Sauerkraut recipe needed

Ugahunter2013

I had some legit amish homemade sauerkraut a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I have a good bit of cabbage growing in the garden and would like to try my hand at it. Does any ody have any recipes or tips? Thanks

Dub

I've seen some recipes on Youtube....it looks pretty straightforward.

Simple list of ingredients....of which you have the most important....the cabbage.

Looks like salt and patiences are the other key items.

I've never tried it....always just bought the prepared stuff in the store.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I agree that it is some mighty tasty stuff.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I've seen some recipes on Youtube....it looks pretty straightforward.

Simple list of ingredients....of which you have the most important....the cabbage.

Looks like salt and patiences are the other key items.

I've never tried it....always just bought the prepared stuff in the store.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I agree that it is some mighty tasty stuff.
This plus a good clay pot and a pair of post hole diggers if you want to make it the way my Gandma did. That is unless you've got a "cellar" where you can store it, undisturbed, for a year or two.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Can't remember who it was on here, but there was a good thread about homemade sauerkraut. He even had a sauerkraut pot. It was a while back.

specialk

I can eat kraut on dogs and brauts, but that's about it....

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Buy a whole bag of red links from Walmart. Put in crockpot. Add a can or two of beer. Add a can of sauerkraut. Cook until sausages start to split. Steamed bun and spicy mustard. Feed ten people for $10. They use to do this at our 9 hole golf course every Sunday.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I can eat kraut on dogs and brauts, but that's about it....
I'll eat it about any way but cooked. Fresh from jar, can, or what ever on or with about any thing, even just by it's self I love it. Just can't stand it cooked, no reason why.

Cmp1

BANNED
Buy a whole bag of red links from Walmart. Put in crockpot. Add a can or two of beer. Add a can of sauerkraut. Cook until sausages start to split. Steamed bun and spicy mustard. Feed ten people for $10. They use to do this at our 9 hole golf course every Sunday.
This,,,,

Reactions: Dub

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
You could make some kimchee at the same time,,,,
That's a WHOLE different animal! Yes they both include cabbage and aging... other than that.. well..
Love them both, but kraut is simple, the Korean version is labor intensive with WAY more ingredients.

Oldstick

OK, for the record, I've liked sauerkraut ever since I learned what it was and what isis good on. But telling on myself, the first time I had it, I was an ignorant GA boy about 20 YO. At the convenience store, they had pre-packaged lunch sammiches in the fridge and one said "Reuben" and it looked tasty to me. So later that day I brought it back claiming "the lettuce or cabbage was spoiled rotten". They looked at me kind of funny, but gave a refund anyway.

You live and learn every day.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My mom used to make it by the tons when I was growing up. She would make me grate up about two dishpans full of cabbage, then she would do something to it and put it in a big ceramic churn crock to ferment in the root cellar until it smelled rotten, then she'd can it up in glass jars. I always though it tasted horrible, so I never learned how to make it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
My mom used to make it by the tons when I was growing up. She would make me grate up about two dishpans full of cabbage, then she would do something to it and put it in a big ceramic churn crock to ferment in the root cellar until it smelled rotten, then she'd can it up in glass jars. I always though it tasted horrible, so I never learned how to make it.
That's how I remember it, BUT once it got chilled, it tasted SO much better. Like anything "pickled", open the jar to let the ick out and then get it cold and it's GREAT.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
O.K., to answer the OP. I've grilled my Mom and all she can remember about my Gandma's kraut is this.. cut up the cabbage and start placing it a large clay jar, interlacing with salt and packing with a wood mallet. Once the jar is full as can be, fill to the top with vinegar, wrap the lid in a towel and seal with a weight on top and store in a cool place.. cellar. Every so often (timing unknown) open and place a heavy weight on top of contents of jar, refill vinegar and seal jar. Continue for 1 to 3 years then can in jars. That's the best she / I / we can do. Hope it helps.