Got a caliper locking up. 03 Silverado

Lukikus2

On the back. Already lost all brakes once. Rebuild or replace? 192 K miles. So I need Rotors, brakes and shocks also while I'm at it. 2 wd ext cab. Front also. Just wondering if y'all know the best route. I want it to last.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Mercy,
you need a friend that knows exactly what their doing to repair and or replace all that. I’d tackle all those myself and save $750 using top quality parts.
Simple as it gets. Then I know it’s done right without a worry.
Calipers very rarely fail in the life of any vehicle. Rebuild and grease the pins that bolt it on. If it’s brake cylinders your talking about then repair or replace doesn’t really matter if you do it right the first time.
Sounds like you don’t often inspect your brakes condition and let them go too long. Bleeding the system properly is as important as anything else you do to it.
A repair manual is that friend I was referring to.
Being your truck is an 03 I’d think you probably have drums and cylinders still on the back. If not treat them like your fronts.
About 07 08 is when most trucks received rotors and calipers standard in the rear. Good Luck it’s not as tough as most people think to replace break pads.
Your new rotors will thank you if you just look at the pads once in a while.
Any questions just ask I will walk you through it if you need the help doing it yourself.

I see you probably do have rotors but the basic content can help anyone with their brakes.

Last edited:

Taco4x4

I agree with Mr Bya Lungshot. As far as your calipers sticking. I have tried the rebuild rout and got the kit but once I started taking it all apart and how bad it was I just went and bought new calipers. Parts for the older Chevy's aren't that bad. Not hard to install but you will need help with bleeding once you have them installed. If your not sure about how just YouTube it.

Lukikus2

Thanks guys. Yeah, rotors all the way around. Going to do it myself. Will post pics. Brake fluid is really dirty. Anything special I need to know about the ABS system doing the calipers? And yes, I run my trucks until I kill them.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Flush it/ bleed it with lots of new proper brake fluid and never let the fill container get too low allowing air in the system. My truck tells me to bleed in a certain wheel order. Don’t break the aluminum bleed screws.
Check for leaks.

hdgapeach

^^^ What model88_308 said. If you're practically going to renew everything, you'd better be dang sure you replace all the soft rubber brake lines. They deteriate from the inside out.

If your brake fluid is that worn out, double check to see if the metal lines have rust built up in them. I flush the brake fluid every couple of years in my rides. Moisture is the devil in brake systems.

If your ride has a brake proportioning valve, check the condition of that, too. Brakes ain't something the "shade tree" mechanic needs to be fooling with (IMHO).

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
make sure you get the proper bleed procedure for that vehicle, and follow it.

since you are replacing the calipers, you don't need to be told not to force that dirty fluid backwards thru the antilock system by forcing the piston back into the caliper.

Buy the highest quality product you can.... don't base your purchase on pricing.

I use to own a few NAPA stores. A guy came in one time and asked me which brake pads I would recommend. I told him it depends. Is your wife and kids gonna be in that car, or just your mother in law.

Lukikus2

And then shocks. While I'm at it. Rough Country has the best price and has been around for a long time. Good? I do haul and tow a lot of weight at times.

Last edited:

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I learned a long time ago working on my own stuff that If a brake system is in good working order..... If the fluid is low in the reservoir, the pads or shoes need to be replaced. I have never had to add brake fluid to a vehicle after I figured that out....

Pig Predator

Sometimes when the pads get so worn it pushes the piston out so far of the caliper that it sticks. I've replaced pads on a stuck caliper before and it not stick again until the pads need replaced again.

Lukikus2

make sure you get the proper bleed procedure for that vehicle, and follow it.

since you are replacing the calipers, you don't need to be told not to force that dirty fluid backwards thru the antilock system by forcing the piston back into the caliper.

Buy the highest quality product you can.... don't base your purchase on pricing.

I use to own a few NAPA stores. A guy came in one time and asked me which brake pads I would recommend. I told him it depends. Is your wife and kids gonna be in that car, or just your mother in law.

I like NAPA. I got my replacement pads other where and they sold me asbestos and not ceramic is why I am having to do this. Otherwise I would just be changing disks and pads.

Pig Predator

Theyre local owned...or operated. We have napa the same way that has a machine shop.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I like NAPA. I got my replacement pads other where and they sold me asbestos and not ceramic is why I am having to do this. Otherwise I would just be changing disks and pads.

they didn't sell you asbestos. There hasn't been a set of asbestos pads sold in the USA in over 30 years. They probably sold you organic pads. I doubt your vehicle came with ceramic pads from the factory. Ceramic pads didn't really become standard on vehicles until 2006 or so.

If you want the best, go to NAPA and buy the UP Ultra Premium rotors. There just isn't any better on the market. I like the Wagner Thermoquiet pads, but you can't get them at NAPA... you will have to go to Oreilly's for that.

Most rebuild calipers are done by A1 Cardone. They use to do about 90% of all rebuilds in the US. I haven't been in that business for a few years, so I don't know what the % is now. What I am saying is buy your calipers where ever you get the best price and the best service/warranty. They are all going to be A1 rebuilts anyway.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Notice how a new car brakes NEVER squeak?
Somebody recommended dealer oem pads to me.
I just buy the best ceramic at the parts store but he got me thinking.
Oem never squeak.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I use carquest

Carquest is now serviced and sell the Oreilly's stuff. They use to have their own product and warehouses buy not anymore. Not that the product is bad, it just comes from a different warehouse now.

All parts stores have some junky stuff, and most have some decent stuff... You just gotta know what you are buying.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Notice how a new car brakes NEVER squeak?
Somebody recommended dealer oem pads to me.
I just buy the best ceramic at the parts store but he got me thinking.
Oem never squeak.
yes they do... all the time.