Atv on wma roads

If atvs aren't allowed to be used to hunt on wmas, why are they specifically prohibited only on some in the regs. Sure do see a lot of four wheelers at Tuckahoe's hunts. Those wardens and managers must not understand the rules like some of you folks. National forest is a totally different issue. I also ride a street legal dirt bike up there. Has to be street legal or you will get a ticket.

Last edited:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I agree Bobby. There are a lot of discrepancies with the way the law is written. Some wardens are ok with it, the one I asked at west point was unsure. I know my uncle had written the head of thr WRD about how he used his to squirrel hunt and the WRD head wrote him back and told him to carry on as he had been. He still has the letter and carries it when he goes. The reality of it is I don't have the time to go fight a ticket nor the need health wise to have to use one to squirrel hunt

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
If atvs aren't allowed to be used to hunt on wmas, why are they specifically prohibited only on some in the regs. Sure do see a lot of four wheelers at Tuckahoe's hunts. Those wardens and managers must not understand the rules like some of you folks. National forest is a totally different issue. I also ride a street legal dirt bike up there. Has to be street legal or you will get a ticket.

Tuckahoe hunts allowed ATVs 20+ years ago. We always took ours. Rode out of camp at the check station on the hardtop. I'm surprised they still allow them.

Tuckahoe hunts allowed ATVs 20+ years ago. We always took ours. Rode out of camp at the check station on the hardtop. I'm surprised they still allow them.
It got out of hand in the 90's. The wma was turning into a ATV park. The requirement to be actively hunting to ride appears to have fixed that issue.

MCBUCK

It's fully allowed as long as the atv is registered a as long as not restricted by the particular wma

See 35 Whelens post below. If you ride an ATV at Cohutta WMA on the "unpaved and regularly maintained roadway" then the odds of getting a ticket and or going to jail increases to about 100%. It is a USFS kept area. Most mountain WMA's re USFS lands, so automatically riding on on "improved roads" increases to all roadways. ATV trails are very limited on these WMA's.

WMA ACTIVITIES

OPERATING MOTOR VEHICLES AND ATVS

All motor vehicles are restricted to improved roads open for vehicular access. ATVs may only be operated on open improved roads within WMAs during the period between 2 hours before sunrise and 2 hours after sunset one day prior to and during big game, small game, and hog only hunts by hunters actively participating in the hunt (except where otherwise specified). However, on National Forest Lands, including WMAs on the National Forest, ATVs are restricted to designated trails unless posted otherwise.

“Improved Roads” are roads that receive maintenance for the purpose of public access, and “Open Roads” are roads not closed with a gate, sign, earthen berm or similar device intended to prevent vehicular access. Motor vehicles (including ATVs, dirt bikes, utility vehicles, golf carts, and other off-road vehicles) must meet applicable safety, licensing, insurance and registration requirements for use on public roads. Vehicle and ATV operators must be at least 16 years old. Roads may be closed at the discretion of DNR. Vehicles may not be parked in such a way as to block an open or closed roadway.
http://www.gafw.org/pdf_files/atv_update.pdf

Here is why we can’t get a tag for an ATV.

I would love to be able to ride my Honda Pioneer leisurely around on Cohutta WMA's many miles of unpaved roads. And I would never be tempted to get anywhere near of the near creeks or streams; the experience would be awesome! But for every person who thinks like I do, there is at least three other people who would feel the need to make their own trails. I have seen it happen first hand. The results are horribly devastating, and the damage done can take years to recover.
Cohutta and the other mountain WMA's are very, very different than the middle Georgia WMA's and require a far different approach to care and management ( something that for the last 40 years has seemingly escaped the braintrust at the DNR) The erosion that would be and is caused by illegal ATV use is almost irreparable. Because of the abuses that would occur, I am against ATV's on WMA's. At least the mountain WMA's.
I love riding my SXS as much as anyone loves their machine, but I won't even go through my pasture now because it is a mud pit. Some may say "with proper regulation and strict rules" but the problem is it is difficult enough to enforce the regulations that are in place. It would be a slippery slope that would spiral out of control. Things got out of hand in the 80's and 90's when the first regs put a stop to ATV's and to think it wouldn't get out of hand again is the academy of foolishness.

Last edited:

chrisn1818

I've had several hunts busted on Paulding forest because of atv riders. I don't think they knew I was there. They weren't hunters, just joy riders. Didn't call game wardens, I usually don't have good phone service out there. It's clearly marked no atvs too.

$400 fine for riding the power lines on Paulding Forest. It wasn’t me but it was a good friend. His property joins Paulding Forest and the power lines. He was about 200 yards across the line when he was ticketed. Expensive mistake!!?‍♂️

BIGABOW

If I'm not mistaken it's because some lands on WMA's are Private/State Lands. NF is Federal. Thus Federal WMA lands NO ATV's. Cedar Creek is a prime example(Federal)

mattuga

Banned
See 35 Whelens post below. If you ride an ATV at Cohutta WMA on the "unpaved and regularly maintained roadway" then the odds of getting a ticket and or going to jail increases to about 100%. It is a USFS kept area. Most mountain WMA's re USFS lands, so automatically riding on on "improved roads" increases to all roadways. ATV trails are very limited on these WMA's.

I would love to be able to ride my Honda Pioneer leisurely around on Cohutta WMA's many miles of unpaved roads. And I would never be tempted to get anywhere near of the near creeks or streams; the experience would be awesome! But for every person who thinks like I do, there is at least three other people who would feel the need to make their own trails. I have seen it happen first hand. The results are horribly devastating, and the damage done can take years to recover.
Cohutta and the other mountain WMA's are very, very different than the middle Georgia WMA's and require a far different approach to care and management ( something that for the last 40 years has seemingly escaped the braintrust at the DNR) The erosion that would be and is caused by illegal ATV use is almost irreparable. Because of the abuses that would occur, I am against ATV's on WMA's. At least the mountain WMA's.
I love riding my SXS as much as anyone loves their machine, but I won't even go through my pasture now because it is a mud pit. Some may say "with proper regulation and strict rules" but the problem is it is difficult enough to enforce the regulations that are in place. It would be a slippery slope that would spiral out of control. Things got out of hand in the 80's and 90's when the first regs put a stop to ATV's and to think it wouldn't get out of hand again is the academy of foolishness.

Keep the SXS on the main roads and prosecute heavily for those that don't, utilize trail cameras and bust them problem people. The few ruin it for the majority. ATV is typically considered a 4 wheeler and a SXS is more like a vehicle. I see no reason why a SXS that has seatbelts for all passengers, brake lights, blinker, and a registration plate (If ever allowed in GA) is any bigger problem than the Jeep people.

4 wheeler vs SXS is a big difference until you start trying to lodge a 2 wheel street legal bike in the mix. SXS is essentially a vehicle, I don't see why they can't be ridden on main roads other than judges don't hand down fines big enough to reduce illegal riding.

PLENTY of other states allow it, not sure why many on here think our system is averse to making something work. Even in areas it is legal there are problem riders or is everyone perfect like our gun control?

MCBUCK

You nailed it when you said “the few ruin it for the majority.” I hear exactly what you are saying my friend.
Maybe there could be a reverse type of restrictions put on for unpaved roads on WMAs. For example; a USFS atv trail is limited to atv’ with a max width of 50” Maybe SXS would have to be a minimum width of say 59” ...Maybe SXS usage on regular use WMA roads would be required to have seatbelts, front and rear lights etc...max speed capable of 45mph ...purchasing a large numbered display permit I’m just putting some things out there that might be solutions.
But I agree there is a huge difference between “atv” and “SXS”
But I don’t think it would ever happen and if it did happen, I still fear here would be some grave abuses. The Motorsport community using those areas would have to police itself greatly.

MCBUCK

At the end of the day, as much as I would like to be able to ride my SXS on the many miles of WMA roads....I still say it would be a bad idea to allow.

ddd-shooter

Funny how picky the feds are out here with atvs. Go out west and they’re everywhere. They haven’t killed the Rockies. I know the trash who can’t stay on roads. Drives me crazy. But!
Do some enforcement. So tired of the government removing my privileges because they do a poor job of enforcing existing rules.

Funny how picky the feds are out here with atvs. Go out west and they’re everywhere. They haven’t killed the Rockies. I know the trash who can’t stay on roads. Drives me crazy. But!
Do some enforcement. So tired of the government removing my privileges because they do a poor job of enforcing existing rules.
Amen to that

saltysenior

give 'em an inch and in 5 yrs., they have taken miles....have seen the use of orv's absolutely ruin hunting on 2 wma's...........and 4wd trucks ain't far behind

Last edited:

MCBUCK

Different world out there. Lower density population, drier climate, different vegetation densities; it’s like apples to oranges.

Pineyrooter

I edited my original post to include the information about WMA'S on National Forest lands. Regulations for those areas are different. Page 40 of the DNR Hunting Regs. You're not required to have blinkers and tags on ATV's on WMA's where they can be used.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
First, where is an atv legal “now” to use except for private land?

Second, what is the purpose of taking, needing or wanting an atv on public land if not legal to leave a maintained road?

I edited my original post to address the WMA's on NF.