Holidays are over-Get back to work Driveler #266.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I should've said inhaling one :smash:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Always heard that Statesboro was the breeding grounds for nats....

Hopeful and Vada. They worse there than anywhere below the gnat line. Gnats don`t bother me, but around those two particular area they would tote your dinner bucket off they were so thick. They will pester you when one gets in your ear and starts grinding his teeth.

Sand gnats are another story. They can go through a window screen and they will eat you alive. They ain`t nothing but a set of jaws full of teeth with wings.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Hopeful and Vada. They worse there than anywhere below the gnat line. Gnats don`t bother me, but around those two particular area they would tote your dinner bucket off they were so thick. They will pester you when one gets in your ear and starts grinding his teeth.

Sand gnats are another story. They can go through a window screen and they will eat you alive. They ain`t nothing but a set of jaws full of teeth with wings.
Even deep woods off just ticks them off.Organic vinegar,hot salsa and a good wind works best for keeping them off me.I think they migrated south to Whigham a few years ago.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Even deep woods off just ticks them off.Organic vinegar,hot salsa and a good wind works best for keeping them off me.I think they migrated south to Whigham a few years ago.

I was familiar with sand gnats when we fished both coasts, but we never had them in either Wheeler County or over here in Southwest Georgia until 1979. That`s when I saw, well, felt the first ones. September and I was still bowhunting back then. Now it seems like we get them near about every early Fall.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Experienced sand gnats at the beach a time or two. Them things BITE! That's bout the only thing that has ever come close to running me off the beach.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Dad had a 24' Cuddy Cabin twin outboard back in the day. We went out onto lake Ponchartrain speckled trout fishin one night years ago when my brothers and I were teens. We decided we were just going to sleep on the boat, it was so calm that night.

It had screens on all the windows and the little door to step down into the cabin, figured it would be fine. The roar outside from thos GIANT striped skeeters was so loud on those screens all night tryin to get in and devour us was deafening. A few did get in too. There were literally thousands of them all over that boat.

I reckon we had a south wind that night blowin them offshore to us.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Anyone want to help this fella out?????
" I have had 2 stray donkeys on my hunting property for over a year. I need them removed. Will pay $500 to have someone remove them and take them away."

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Anyone want to help this fella out?????
" I have had 2 stray donkeys on my hunting property for over a year. I need them removed. Will pay $500 to have someone remove them and take them away."

Don't believe I could help out.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Are they the same as sand fleas,,,,

No, sand fleas are pompano, sheephead, and whiting bait. They`re crustaceans that bury in the sand along the surf.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Seems we called them something else when I lived in FL,,,,can't remember,,,,

Ya`ll might have, but locals and us other Southerners call em sand fleas. On both the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. From Georgia down into Florida, around through The Forgotten Coast all the way to the Texas coast.

If you want a quick mess of sheephead, gather you some of them and-or some fiddlers.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic you ever eat smoked mullet with Harry A ?

I don`t think I know Harry A, but I`ve eaten smoked mullet all my life. I love those things. In fact, I need to get my net, hook up my boat, and run down to Wewa and pick up my buddy and go get a load of em. Now is the time, you know.

Cmp1

BANNED
Ya`ll might have, but locals and us other Southerners call em sand fleas. On both the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. From Georgia down into Florida, around through The Forgotten Coast all the way to the Texas coast.

If you want a quick mess of sheephead, gather you some of them and-or some fiddlers.
Knew about the fiddlers,,,,I know laying out on the beach we would get bit by something,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.