So next year aint here yet?

Christian hughey

Gonna be a long 8 months till I can sling an arrow through something. Still waiting on them to open up that spring bear bow season. They know we need to kill a few more. This season was a big old good un. Hope they all roll like that but they dont, ya win some and lose some years. But most of all had a blast continuing to introduce my son to the outdoors. He killed his first public land buck at eight and he's getting to the age where we start to relate as friends as well as father, son. There is no better thing than hunting to bond and bring family together. It's a time honored tradition we first and foremost need to protect and respect to ensure our kids and their kids the same rights. Until next year I'll be scouting, watching and not killing. Maybe a yote or two we'll see how it goes.

Christian hughey

Oh I will still be out there it never really ends. Dont care for wild pig though. Dont really wanna shoot something and just leave it. Except for a yote. This season was a good one in the hills and I stay active all year. Just itching to knock another arrow already. Lol

Killer Kyle

Oh I will still be out there it never really ends. Dont care for wild pig though. Dont really wanna shoot something and just leave it. Except for a yote. This season was a good one in the hills and I stay active all year. Just itching to knock another arrow already. Lol
I've killed exactly 20 pigs to date while hunting public lands in the mountains of the Chattahoochee NF. One was a rank boar hog that smelled like soured urine. He was the only one that I absolutely had to let lay. I BBQ'd all the rest over the years, and 100% of the ones I cooked.....cooked up exactly like BBQ from a restaurant. Tender, juicy, flavorful, and totally.......completely shredded with a fork. I've eaten an absurd amount of pulled pork in my last few years, and the best pulled pork sandwiches I literally have ever consumed came from MY kitchen, and from WILD pigs killed in the mtns here.
If you shoot a pig, and it ain't rank, and you leave it laying, you just made a waste of a pig.
If you know how to quarter game in the field, you had better get after the wild pigs, and learn how to make your own BBQ. There is seldom ever a justified reason to leave a hog laying. Why do you assume that you have to shoot one and leave it laying?

Last edited:

Christian hughey

I've killed exactly 20 pigs while hunting public lands in the Chattahoochee NF. One was a rank hog that smelled like soured urine. I BBQ'd all the rest over the years, and 100% of the ones I cooked.....cooked up exactly like BBW from a restaurant. Tender, juicy, flavorful, and totally..
Completely shredded with a fork. I've eaten an absurd amount of pulled pork in my last few years, and the best pulled pork sandwiches I literally have ever consumed came from my kitchen, and from wild hogs.
If you shoot a pig, and it ain't rank, and you leave it laying, you just made a waste of a pig.
If you know how to quarter game in the field, you had better get after the wild pigs, and learn how to make your own BBQ. There is seldom ever a justified reason to leave a hog laying.
Yeah no thanks I've tried it. Dont really care for pork. I love me some deer, now bear is atop the list. I've tried alot of different game and just dont care for it. The only bbq joint I ever cared for was this little piggy down in Forsyth. Now that was good bbq and stew I just dont shoot anything I dont plan on eating with the exception of a yote. You guys can have at the pigs

ddd-shooter

Come up and shoot them anyway. There are needy families.
Or you can leave the invasive species for the bears to clean up.

Question, do you have to use the meat on a pig to be legal (I love pig meat and would never leave anything laying, but I’ve never looked as I’ve never thought of it til now)

Christian hughey

Come up and shoot them anyway. There are needy families.
Or you can leave the invasive species for the bears to clean up.

Question, do you have to use the meat on a pig to be legal (I love pig meat and would never leave anything laying, but I’ve never looked as I’ve never thought of it til now)
It has always been my understanding to be unlawful to kill and leave any game animals as far as pigs go I'm not sure but I would think the same would apply.

oldguy

Don't waste time worrying about no good, non-native invasive feral pigs. Kill 'em and stack 'em up in the woods. The buzzards'll eat 'em. Look at it like a big ol bird feeder.

splatek

UAEC
I'd be interested in learning about where I could get a pig or two.
I love pork and Kyle's description of that BBQ really had me wanting some.

I guess since it's technically small game season, does that mean we have to use a 22 or a shotgun or archery equipment?

ddd-shooter

I guess since it's technically small game season, does that mean we have to use a 22 or a shotgun or archery equipment?
All small game weapons are legal for hogs during small game seasons. Including open small game wma hunts. This includes .22 or smaller rim fire, archery and muzzleloader.
A lot of mountain hunters simply use muzzleloaders.

Rabun

Or muzzle loader. I have not really pursued them yet, but would like to upcoming turkey season.

splatek

UAEC
All small game weapons are legal for hogs during small game seasons. Including open small game wma hunts. This includes .22 or smaller rim fire, archery and muzzleloader.
A lot of mountain hunters simply use muzzleloaders.

Thanks guys.
I don't have a muzzle loader...
Any idea on shot for a shotgun, or slug?

35 Whelen

Thanks guys.
I don't have a muzzle loader...
Any idea on shot for a shotgun, or slug?

SMALL GAME & FURBEARER FIREARMS

• Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or smaller shot.

The mtn man

With fur bearer season open, it is my understanding that you can use a centerfire rifle to hunt bobcat, fox, and coyote. I'm sure dnr wouldn't cry if you shot a pig bobcat hunting.