Top 10 carry guns???

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I had to fast forward through all of that. I couldn;t stand hearing him talk

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My personal opinions:

To me, size isn't the main consideration, or even close. I have two guns that I carry concealed. 99% of the time, it's a Glock 23. Occasionally, it's a Ruger LC9. Even though the Ruger is a lot smaller and thinner, I don't like it as much. Why? Less ammo capacity, less accuracy, less stopping power, and it has a safety. If you ever need to use that gun, those are going to be the main things that keep you alive, or leave you dead. That cute little pistol that it's so easy to conceal in your pants pocket is not going to help you out near as much in a gunfight as something that you can actually hit what you're aiming at with, and holds enough rounds to finish the fight.

Those little revolvers-I wouldn't even consider one. Every one I have shot, I couldn't hit crap with, especially shooting double-action, and they only hold a few rounds. And when those are gone, it's slow to reload. Seems pretty amazing if you see the statistics for the number of shots generally fired per hit in an actual situation where folks are shooting at each other. If you have six rounds and the other guy has 15, you may very well throwing your suddenly useless club at him pretty quick.

If it's not at least 9mm, I don't want it. Sure, that .380 may be small and easy to carry, but that's probably not going to be the most helpful thing to you when you need it. I keep remembering that video where the woman kept shooting the thug with the .380, and he just kept coming, and she finally ran out of ammo. She's lucky to be alive. If the other woman hadn't been there also shooting, she wouldn't be.

If I'm gonna carry, I'm gonna carry something that is more likely to stop somebody with less shots, and holds a lot of rounds, that I can hit the broad side of a barn with, and can be reloaded in a couple seconds. My G23 contains 14 rounds of .40 Rangers or Gold Dots, and there are 15 more in my pocket that can be inside the gun in a few seconds. I can also shoot it fairly accurately for a short-barreled pistol, and it is absolutely reliable. And I don't have to flip levers and switches to make it work, just pull it out and start squeezing. It's a little bigger pistol than a little cute LCP or something, but I can easily conceal it IWB wearing shorts and a tshirt, and it's not heavy or uncomfortable.

I have threatened to get me a commander-model 1911 in .45 for carry. My only downside to that at all is ammo capacity.

Dub

My personal opinions:

To me, size isn't the main consideration, or even close. I have two guns that I carry concealed. 99% of the time, it's a Glock 23. Occasionally, it's a Ruger LC9. Even though the Ruger is a lot smaller and thinner, I don't like it as much. Why? Less ammo capacity, less accuracy, less stopping power, and it has a safety. If you ever need to use that gun, those are going to be the main things that keep you alive, or leave you dead. That cute little pistol that it's so easy to conceal in your pants pocket is not going to help you out near as much in a gunfight as something that you can actually hit what you're aiming at with, and holds enough rounds to finish the fight.

Those little revolvers-I wouldn't even consider one. Every one I have shot, I couldn't hit crap with, especially shooting double-action, and they only hold a few rounds. And when those are gone, it's slow to reload. Seems pretty amazing if you see the statistics for the number of shots generally fired per hit in an actual situation where folks are shooting at each other. If you have six rounds and the other guy has 15, you may very well throwing your suddenly useless club at him pretty quick.

If it's not at least 9mm, I don't want it. Sure, that .380 may be small and easy to carry, but that's probably not going to be the most helpful thing to you when you need it. I keep remembering that video where the woman kept shooting the thug with the .380, and he just kept coming, and she finally ran out of ammo. She's lucky to be alive. If the other woman hadn't been there also shooting, she wouldn't be.

If I'm gonna carry, I'm gonna carry something that is more likely to stop somebody with less shots, and holds a lot of rounds, that I can hit the broad side of a barn with, and can be reloaded in a couple seconds. My G23 contains 14 rounds of .40 Rangers or Gold Dots, and there are 15 more in my pocket that can be inside the gun in a few seconds. I can also shoot it fairly accurately for a short-barreled pistol, and it is absolutely reliable. And I don't have to flip levers and switches to make it work, just pull it out and start squeezing. It's a little bigger pistol than a little cute LCP or something, but I can easily conceal it IWB wearing shorts and a tshirt, and it's not heavy or uncomfortable.

I have threatened to get me a commander-model 1911 in .45 for carry. My only downside to that at all is ammo capacity.

Complete agreement.

My father's main carry semi-auto is his G23 (Gen3 version). I always thought it would be great for me, too...but the grip just didn't fit as well as I needed it to.

Was in a local gun shop one day and saw they had a Gen4 version of the G19. I slid the larger grip backstrap into place and man 'o man did that thing fit my hand. Had them install a set of Trijicon HD's. Found a good IWB holster for it and it's been on ever since.

Gun has run smooth as silk, surprised me with it's way better than acceptable accuracy...in fact it's one of the most accurate guns I've owned. It seems to love the +P+ 115gr Federal 9BPLE loads.

One of these days I'd like to add a commander length 1911 like you mentioned. I've had a couple in the past....but they didn't stay for one reason or another. Now that I'm onto a super IWB I think one of these would work out perfectly.

The commander sized 1911 can run the same Wilson Combat 8 round magazines that run in my full length 1911's. They've been 100% reliable on the 230gr ball as well as every different hollow point I've tried, ranging from +P 185gr to 230gr flying ashtrays.....as well as the 200gr wadcutters that are mighty fun at the range. Those wadcutters cut a perfect hole in the target.....fun watching them stack up into a larger ragged grouping.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Complete agreement.

My father's main carry semi-auto is his G23 (Gen3 version). I always thought it would be great for me, too...but the grip just didn't fit as well as I needed it to.

Was in a local gun shop one day and saw they had a Gen4 version of the G19. I slid the larger grip backstrap into place and man 'o man did that thing fit my hand. Had them install a set of Trijicon HD's. Found a good IWB holster for it and it's been on ever since.

Gun has run smooth as silk, surprised me with it's way better than acceptable accuracy...in fact it's one of the most accurate guns I've owned. It seems to love the +P+ 115gr Federal 9BPLE loads.

One of these days I'd like to add a commander length 1911 like you mentioned. I've had a couple in the past....but they didn't stay for one reason or another. Now that I'm onto a super IWB I think one of these would work out perfectly.

The commander sized 1911 can run the same Wilson Combat 8 round magazines that run in my full length 1911's. They've been 100% reliable on the 230gr ball as well as every different hollow point I've tried, ranging from +P 185gr to 230gr flying ashtrays.....as well as the 200gr wadcutters that are mighty fun at the range. Those wadcutters cut a perfect hole in the target.....fun watching them stack up into a larger ragged grouping.
Yep, the Glocks never fit me well either, until they came out with the Gen4 and the bigger backstraps.

Reactions: Dub

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
My favorite pistol is my G19 Gen 4 but it is just too big and heavy for me to conceal for long periods of time. I’ve been carrying an M&P shield since they 1st came out but I recently switched to the Sig P365 for the extra capacity. I purchased an IWB holster that I can’t get used to so I’ll be looking for something different. I’m also trying to get used to the extra weight with the extra capacity. When I’m not wearing the proper clothes at work to conceal the Sig, I have a .380 Bodyguard in my pocket which is better than nothing at all

Reactions: Dub

transfixer

I know the kydex or hybrid holsters are all the rage now, but for comfort in my opinion leather can't be beat . Check out the McDaniell II holsters by Andrews Custom leather, more or less the same holster as a Summer Special by Milt Sparks, I've got two of those I've had for over 20yrs, leather rough side out, metal band reinforced around the top for easy re-holstering, and belt loops can be changed for different width belts, most comfortable iwb holsters I've ever had, and I've had a lot of different ones over the years.

Only downside to Andrews is they are handmade, and if he doesn't have one in stock , it can take a little while to get one made for you. But in my opinion its more than worth the wait.

oppthepop

Both of my 10mm Glocks have performed flawlessly and I am with NC Hillbilly. I like having 15 rounds plus another 15 if i need it. And some Underwood 200 grain jacketed hollowpoints at that. Hope I never have to use them on anything but hogs, deer, snakes, coyotes, etc. BUT one is ALWAYS with me.......

Robert28

You really can’t go off what someone says on a video about what the top carry guns are. A lot of people claim certain guns are uncomfortable but yet I find them to fit me like a glove, and others they claim fit perfectly and I can’t stsnd the way they feel in my hand. Case in point, I held the new Glock 48 and 43x yesterday, hated them both. With that said, I loved how the 19x felt in my hand, absolutely perfect fit!

transfixer

You really can’t go off what someone says on a video about what the top carry guns are. A lot of people claim certain guns are uncomfortable but yet I find them to fit me like a glove, and others they claim fit perfectly and I can’t stsnd the way they feel in my hand. Case in point, I held the new Glock 48 and 43x yesterday, hated them both. With that said, I loved how the 19x felt in my hand, absolutely perfect fit!

Agreed ! What is the perfect carry gun for some, isn't even close to others, its a personal preference thing , while some brands are more dependable than others, its the little things about each model within the brand that makes it fit one person and not another .

Jester896

Senior Clown
Did you not hear him say it was his list...not everybody's? I think he covers that up to about 1:31. Many people ask him for his opinion so he gives it to them.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
He mentioned the LCR, which I like the
feel of but have never shot. It's a Ruger so it must be tough and reliable.

I purched but have not yet recieved, two of the LCR's in .380. One is plain, all black. The other is an an Anniversary Black and Stainless. Some crap about a recent and only denial. Have the FBI junk to fill out. Could take 3 months. I'm well armed so that's not a big deal. Aggravating at most.

Anyhoo.. I never had problems with the big boomers. Some are to big for my hands but it's not because I'm recoil sensitive.

I considered 9MM minimum for a long time. After a few surgeries, I started looking for a smaller easier to conceal alternatives.

There is a new cartridge licensed by Ruger called that I researched extensively before the decision to make a .380 choice to carry.

Check out the .380 AMX.
If it does as advertised it will easily make the .380 an option.
4 layers of denim and 16 inches of ballistic gel. Designed to tumble and NOT expand. I will let y'all know as soon as I do.

Last edited: