crude point

Jimmypop

I found this very rough , bulky point made from some kind of material that I never see here. It must have been brought in. Found it where very early stuff was found.

Attachments

• 0119191639a (1).jpg
    0119191639a (1).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 90

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's vein quartz. It's pretty widespread around the southeast, just usually not used when good chert was available.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'd venture to say that the majority of points I've found around here are made from that same stone.

Hillbilly stalker

I've got a yard full of it. It breaks apart like a piece of cork. It would be hard to make a point or tool out of I'd imagine. It will throw sparks tho.

JDBrown

Most of the points I've found in my neck of the woods have been quartz, and a few ridge and valley chert

dtala

that white quartz is very hard to snap a "pretty" point out of. As an experiment several years ago I made a small crude quartz point. I killed a hog with it, breaking an ear off. I reworked part of it. Then missed a hog and chipped the point. I resharpened the point and killed a second hog with it. Ugly will kill IF it is sharp. LOL

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
that white quartz is very hard to snap a "pretty" point out of. As an experiment several years ago I made a small crude quartz point. I killed a hog with it, breaking an ear off. I reworked part of it. Then missed a hog and chipped the point. I resharpened the point and killed a second hog with it. Ugly will kill IF it is sharp. LOL
Quartz, ( meaning good quality quartz) IMO, is second in sharpness only to obsidian.

You can make nice points out of it, but it's a lot harder than other materials. Here's a Hardaway I made from some good-quality vein quartz. I had to beat a fifteen-pound creek boulder down to a hand-sized piece to get to the good stuff enough to make a decent point.

hardaway.jpg

Esau

That's pretty work.

dtala

thats a good looking point Hillbilly and good rock. Primo quartz is about as rare as primo Tallahatta Qyartzute, but both can be found if ya break enough rock...like an eighteen wheeler load.:cry:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
thats a good looking point Hillbilly and good rock. Primo quartz is about as rare as primo Tallahatta Qyartzute, but both can be found if ya break enough rock...like an eighteen wheeler load.:cry:
I love Tallahatta, it's about my favorite material. Haven't had any in many years, though.

Hello all, I'm new to GON and hail from Cherokee country in upstate South Carolina. Most of what I come across here is also quartz of one form or the other. Most are crude but on occasion you stumble across the rare gem.