350 Legend

leoparddog

T

That is what I'm watching for. How does it compare to the .357max? A rimless equivalent opens up real possibilities. And made from .223 brass? A real winner in the makings.

It should be able to run faster than a .357 Max. The parent case will be longer by about .10 and the COL will longer as well (1.990 vs 2.260). Lets hope they ream the chambers the full length that the magazine can hold. It should hold a few more grains of powder given similar bullets.

Now that I've been doing some reading on it, this is the first "new" cartridge I've been excited about in a long time.

Priceroad

It would be great if they but it in a lightweight bolt action, maybe in something with a short barrel like the old model 600 or model seven. They can take one of the new less expensive rifles chamber it in that without worrying about the rifle having to hold 10 rounds all it would need is 3 or 4. It will be ok in an AR but everyone does not want an AR.

Big7

The Oracle
I need another rifle like Carter's needs Liver Pills. BUT...

That looks like fun and possibly a rifle/revolver combo.

Revolver you say? Well they have monster revolver cartridges now. .500 S&W, .460 Ruger all the way to 45/70 GVMT.

A Ruger carbine, like the old .44 Rem.Mag
with a Super Redhawk or Blackhawk would be some potent medicine in a combo.

Last edited:

bullgator

It would be great if they but it in a lightweight bolt action, maybe in something with a short barrel like the old model 600 or model seven. They can take one of the new less expensive rifles chamber it in that without worrying about the rifle having to hold 10 rounds all it would need is 3 or 4. It will be ok in an AR but everyone does not want an AR.
Guarantee you that if this cartridge stay popular for another 6-8 months, Ruger will have it in their American series of bolt action rifles.

leoparddog

Oooh, yasss! A semi-auto Ruger carbine + a Redhawk revolver please!

lonewolf247

I don’t think this cartiridge is the answer that everyone’s been looking for, but I do see a certain window of opportunities for it.

In the states that require straight walled cartridges, this will offer better ballistic performance than the .357, and its counterparts.

Also, I see it possibly being sought out as an ar-15 option as well.

I also see a good window of opportunity as a pistol offering, or a carbine rifle, as mentioned.

Aside from that, when you compare it to many other hunting cartridges, it falls really short from a ballistic standpoint. So, if you are not in a state that limits your choices, you are selling yourself really short by going this route.

In my case, I’m considering an Ar platform rifle, that I can split between the range, and sometimes for deer hunting, but I’m wanting a cartridge that has better ballistic performance, and more downrange energy. Right now I’m considering the 6.5 Grendel.

Like I said, hope this one catches on, it does have it’s possibilities, but I don’t see it making an impact, like the 6.5 Creadmore, and some other most recently released cartridges.

rosewood

Last edited:

rosewood

Now somebody chamber a wheel gun for it and make me smile.
Ruger made max in a blackhawk. I think they dropped it because it was cutting the top strap. Seems like Dan Wesson and maybe someone else still has them in production.

Rosewood

Edit to correct my error that bighonkinjeep pointed out. :)

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

Ruger made max in a blackhawk. I think they dropped it because it was cutting the forcing cone. Seems like Dan Wesson and maybe someone else still has them in production.

Rosewood
Probably flame cutting the top strap ahead of the cylinder. Dan Wesson is known for their uber tight cylinder gap and would be a great candidate for production.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
There ad lies. The 357 maximum out of a rifle gets more velocity than the Lgend.

http://357maximum.net/
https://dandtcustomgunworks.websitetoolbox.com/post/357-max-test-5264779

However, I can see the value in a semi-auto platform.

I wonder what a 460 S&W Magnum would do out of a 24" rifle barrel with a 200 grain bullet?
Handloading the MAX compared to Factory 350 ammo is not an apples to apples comparison.
I have no doubt that a handloaded 350 round would hold it's own in a similar long barreled single shot.

Lilly001

I think the utility of the new round would be in auto rifles and bolt guns where the rim of a .357 max would get in the way.
Otherwise the difference would be negligible. IMHO
The real difference would be availability of both guns and factory loaded ammo.
That's where the max comes up short.
In a bolt gun with a 20" barrel it would look to me to be an effective 200 yd woods gun.
And in an ar platform it looks similar in effectiveness to a 6.8 spc without the need for modification, other than the barrel, to the gun.
I'm anxious to see.

rosewood

Handloading the MAX compared to Factory 350 ammo is not an apples to apples comparison.
I have no doubt that a handloaded 350 round would hold it's own in a similar long barreled single shot.

I agree, just their statement is that it is the fastest straight walled pistol cartridge, and me thinks that is an exaggeration.

Rosewood

weagle

That's the appeal. It is based on .223 basic brass, which is simply .223 brass that has not been necked down. All you need for an AR is the correct upper. Apparently 20 round .223 mags work. CMMG has already announced an AR chambered in the 350 legend.

Since it's based on the .223, standard AR bolt carrier groups work. Also it feeds well in a bolt action.

This round has been around in wildcat form for a while. You do need to seat the heavier bullets pretty deep, but modern powders still provide acceptable velocity.

It appears that the .350 legend has a slightly rebated rim, so it is not just a straight walled .223 case. With loaded ammo selling for .50 ea that's not a huge deal currently, but could deter folks who are worried about ammo availability down the road.

SAAMI350LegendCartridge.png

transfixer

It has better ballistics than the 300blkout, if brass becomes readily available I can see myself putting together an upper to use hunting, the AR world will keep the cartridge alive and viable more than likely .