would be thankful for some info

Thanks so much or the response. Is it normal to find such a wide range of different points from different times in our history so close together?

ancienttrails

Boy that's a handful, in Fla that blunt looks hardee,middle dalton,and not a guess on others good finds got to be some fine stuff in that spot.

In my neck of the woods the top point would be a morrow mountain, bottom left savana river with a reworked tip, "possibly as a scrapper" and bottom center would be a dalton or yadkin. The bottom right is hard to say with the missing base. The base is typically tje identifier. In saying all this I'm located in northeastern Carolina and have alot left to learn.

I have a hunting site in the foothills that has only yielded these three point types mentioned above and no pottery. For me it dates the site to "woodlands."Not to say there couldn't have been and probably were multiple occupations during prehistoric times but the evidence for me shows the site was heavily occupied during the woodland period.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a hunting site in the foothills that has only yielded these three point types mentioned above and no pottery. For me it dates the site to "woodlands."Not to say there couldn't have been and probably were multiple occupations during prehistoric times but the evidence for me shows the site was heavily occupied during the woodland period.
None of those points you mentioned except the Yadkin are Woodland period points. Dalton is transitional Paleo, Morrow Mountain is Mid-Archaic, and Savannah River is Late Archaic. And the Woodland sites are where you find the pottery.

Thanks for your clarification NCHillbilly,
I'm a little new at the science of point identification, periods and such...stuck my foot in my mouth. I've been picking up points since my childhood days down in Mississippi and find it fascinating to be able to connect the artifact with specific time periods in antiquity. There's much to learn and I haven't committed myself to the study but by joining GON I hope to learn a thing or two from knowledgeable members such as yourself.

Hoping to get some insite on this one? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 154964185798151544286.jpg
    154964185798151544286.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 58

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hoping to get some insite on this one? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
As AT said, it's a Savannah River point. As to whether that's just a break, or that side has been reworked to that shape for some reason, I can't tell from the pic.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Thanks for your clarification NCHillbilly,
I'm a little new at the science of point identification, periods and such...stuck my foot in my mouth. I've been picking up points since my childhood days down in Mississippi and find it fascinating to be able to connect the artifact with specific time periods in antiquity. There's much to learn and I haven't committed myself to the study but by joining GON I hope to learn a thing or two from knowledgeable members such as yourself.

You'll learn more here by puttin your foot in your mouth. (y)