Any Preterists in here?

BANDERSNATCH

I see comments here and there in these threads that indicate that some may be Preterists? Whether Full or Partial....not sure. Who believes that Jesus returned in 70AD or that prophecy was completely fulfilled in 70AD?

Artfuldodger

I'm not a Preterist but I do see something happening in 70AD. Some type of a return. The temple being destroyed.

Reading the gospel accounts, the return sounded eminent. The destruction of Jerusalem in the gospel accounts sounded physical. The warnings of fleeing to the mountains, etc.

I've never been able to see the physical end description changing in the middle of scripture to morph into the Church if this is all about a future event.
Something just don't quite jive or add up. The line is too squiggly.

BANDERSNATCH

If you talk to a preterist, you'll soon find that they are the king (or queen) of making everything the prophets said, and Jesus said, "allegories". "not really meaning what He said" or that it "had some spiritual meaning". No doubt 70AD was a significant year, but to say that all prophecy was fulfilled then is, IMO, heretical, and something that wasn't taught at all until like the 18th century I believe. Preterists, at least full preterists, make even our long hoped for resurrection only a spiritual thing. They will also tell you that the long hoped for kingdom of Christ is now here.... look around you....and enjoy the perfect kingdom that has been prophesied for millennia :rofl:

Spineyman

Bander, please tell us what you believe? Which prophecies do you believe are still going to happen, future tense.

BANDERSNATCH

Spiney, something tells me that I believe just like you do, and most others on here. Saved by faith in Jesus, but obey Him from a heart that has been circumcized. I believe what the angel said when Jesus ascended, that He will come exactly as he left, physically and with others watching. I believe He will stand on the Mount of Olives and it will split. I believe there will be a resurrection of the righteous at his appearing (Matthew 24 and I Cor 15 and Dan 12)

Spineyman

Here is what I believe and I am a partial preterist. I do believe that Jesus will split the Eastern Sky at the end of Human History, not a second sooner. I do not believe in the rapture, as in being delivered from anything. I do believe we will one day be caught up together in the air! There will indeed be a resurrection of the body one day!

The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.​
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.​
Who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.​
And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.​
And I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.​

Note: The word "catholic" with a lower case 'c' does not mean the Roman Catholic Church, but the universal Christian Church as a whole.

BANDERSNATCH

I also do not believe in what most call the 'pre trib' rapture...but believe what the Lord said...that his disciples would be raised up "at the last day". I believe we will be protected in His wrath like the Hebrews were in Egypt, and Noah and his family were protected in the flood, and Lot was protected in Sodom. Not being "appointed to wrath" does not mean God has to take us to heaven to protect us.

I believe that the resurrection of the righteous is the achilles heel to the full preterist view. Jesus was resurrected bodily, having flesh and ate food. We, too, look forward to that same type of resurrection....when we will be like Him.

Spineyman

Here it is to me in a nut shell.

Revelation 1

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, 2 who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw. 3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.

This was written to a specific people at a specific time for a specific reason. Now when you are talking to someone in person you would not say shortly if indeed it was thousands of years off. In another place it clearly says that this generation shall not pass until all these things have taken place.

Then you have Hebrews 1

Hebrews 1
1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

So His final Word was Jesus, there is no other prophecy.

BANDERSNATCH

ah...ok.

Did the new covenant begin at the cross, or did it wait another 40 years for the destruction of the temple?

Artfuldodger

If you talk to a preterist, you'll soon find that they are the king (or queen) of making everything the prophets said, and Jesus said, "allegories". "not really meaning what He said" or that it "had some spiritual meaning". No doubt 70AD was a significant year, but to say that all prophecy was fulfilled then is, IMO, heretical, and something that wasn't taught at all until like the 18th century I believe. Preterists, at least full preterists, make even our long hoped for resurrection only a spiritual thing. They will also tell you that the long hoped for kingdom of Christ is now here.... look around you....and enjoy the perfect kingdom that has been prophesied for millennia :rofl:

Yet many Futurist believe the resurrection will be spiritual. I'm thinking physical. The confusing part is where does one go when they die a physical death? The interim between physical death the the physical/spiritual resurrection?

You can't wait in Heaven as that's the same as a spiritual resurrection.

Spineyman

Yet many Futurist believe the resurrection will be spiritual. I'm thinking physical. The confusing part is where does one go when they die a physical death? The interim between physical death the the physical/spiritual resurrection?

You can't wait in Heaven as that's the same as a spiritual resurrection.
2 Corinthians 5:1-8
Assurance of the Resurrection
5 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Artfuldodger

2 Corinthians 5:1-8
Assurance of the Resurrection
5 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

That sounds like a spiritual resurrection description. Like we must shed our "tent" to be present with the Lord. That if we are at home in this body, we are absent from the Lord.

Artfuldodger

Jesus "became" flesh. That pre-existing part of the Godhead became flesh. That part of God that may be the image we were made in.
Jesus did arise physically and ascended physically. Maybe from flesh and blood to flesh and bone but still physical.

So where is this physical place that Jesus now resides? He went there physically yet we can go there spiritually?

Something don't jive. He is there physically with his spiritual Father and spiritual brothers and spiritual angels?

Spineyman

That sounds like a spiritual resurrection description. Like we must shed our "tent" to be present with the Lord. That if we are at home in this body, we are absent from the Lord.
That simply means when you are alive here on earth you are in your tent(physical body). When you die the Bible says your body dies but your spirit and soul live on. You pass from life to life, there is no death for those who have been washed in the blood of the Lamb. We are present with the Lord and our body one day will be resurrected also. We will be clothed with a resurrected, glorified body.

Spineyman

Jesus "became" flesh. That pre-existing part of the Godhead became flesh. That part of God that may be the image we were made in.
Jesus did arise physically and ascended physically. Maybe from flesh and blood to flesh and bone but still physical.

So where is this physical place that Jesus now resides? He went there physically yet we can go there spiritually?

Something don't jive. He is there physically with his spiritual Father and spiritual brothers and spiritual angels?
We are made in God's image because we too have a spirit. Jesus now resides at the Fathers right hand in Heaven, and we too will be there with Him also in that great and glorious day!

Artfuldodger

We are made in God's image because we too have a spirit. Jesus now resides at the Fathers right hand in Heaven, and we too will be there with Him also in that great and glorious day!

That's not very Preterist at all then. You did say you aren't a full Preterist. I don't think they believe in a future physical resurrection.

They and many Futurist believe Jesus parked his physical tent at Heaven's gate and his Spiritual entity of the Godhead rejoined with the Father and Holy Spirit.

I think they see the whole of Heaven as being spiritual. Meaning you can't reside there as a physical being.

When you think about it, if God is spiritual, and we go to Heaven as spirits when we die physically? Then that is a type of spiritual resurrection.

Why would we need to return for a physical body? If, in fact, we are already enjoying our presence with God/Jesus in heaven?

Last edited: