What scope to buy for a big bore?

Horns

Getting a CVA Scout 2 for a woods deer gun and for hogs. What scope would you put on it and why? I’m not a rich fella now mind you

GregoryB.

I would think something in a 2x7 power would be plenty. VX Freedom will probably cost around $200 . I have several of this power scopes on guns I use where shots are 100 yards or less.

Stroker

I've got two 3x9x40 Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scopes, one on my .444 and another on a 742 30-06. No problems with either in over 10 years. You can buy the for about $100 + tax.

Horns

I forgot to add that it is a .45/70 Government

Lilly001

I'm partial to a 1x4 power. And I like an illuminated reticle of some type.
Mount it low to the bore and kill some critters.
There are a lot of choices out there for 100-300$.
Better glass=better low light=more meat in the freezer.

fishtail

Regular ole Burris Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex reticle in 3x9x40.
Comes in silver or black
Usual cost is less than $200.

Because I already have one on my 45-70.
And 30'06
7mm Rem mag
...you get the picture

For hogs and possible shooting in very low light, I only use scopes with illuminated reticles now. As long as you can see the hog, you can place a well aimed shot on that very dark target. Even very good scopes will lose regular crosshairs against a dark target in very low light.

A very good friend found that out on a big Georgia boar a few years back. He was using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9×40 on top of a .35 Whelen. He could see the hog clearly enough in very low light, but kept losing the Z-Plex reticle when taking aim.

An inexpensive low power scope with IR (#4) that I own and have used on deer and black bear on top of a .444 is the Vortex Crossfire II in 1-4×24 (30mm). An internet search should get you one at ~ $200. While the added magnification is not needed, there is another rather inexpensive scope with IR that I also own, a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 in 3-9×40 with Hellfire quadraplex. I found one of those just the other day for another forum member here for $210, delivered.

My favorite scopes with IR are the five Leupold VX-Rs I own, but they get a bit pricey and will run $350-$400. I have 3 of the 2-7×33 and 2 of the 1.25-4×20 and they are fantastic scopes.

The Sig is on the right there on a Model Seven. A great scope for the $$.1006181159b.jpg

Last edited:

Lilly001

Model88_308 knows what he said about the utility of an illuminated reticle.
I once was about to give up on a shot at a buck in the last minutes of shooting time until I found a white area on his throat when he faced me.
Bummer for him.

Lilly001

Regular ole Burris Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex reticle in 3x9x40.
Comes in silver or black
Usual cost is less than $200.

Because I already have one on my 45-70.
And 30'06
7mm Rem mag
...you get the picture
I used to swear by that scope. Until this year I couldn't pick up a doe, at last shooting minutes with it.
Might just be my eyes, but it was impossible to target a deer that I could see clearly in my binocs.
I have had that scope on my go to Encore 7mm mag for over 10 years. Now it has a leupold on it.

Swamprat

Swamprat
A good quality just strictly 4 or 6 power scope in 30-40 mm. All you need

Horns

For hogs and possible shooting in very low light, I only use scopes with illuminated reticles now. As long as you can see the hog, you can place a well aimed shot on that very dark target. Even very good scopes will lose regular crosshairs against a dark target in very low light.

A very good friend found that out on a big Georgia boar a few years back. He was using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9×40 on top of a .35 Whelen. He could see the hog clearly enough in very low light, but kept losing the Z-Plex reticle when taking aim.

An inexpensive low power scope with IR (#4) that I own and have used on deer and black bear on top of a .444 is the Vortex Crossfire II in 1-4×24 (30mm). An internet search should get you one at ~ $200. While the added magnification is not needed, there is another rather inexpensive scope with IR that I also own, a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 in 3-9×40 with Hellfire quadraplex. I found one of those just the other day for another forum member here for $210, delivered.

My favorite scopes with IR are the five Leupold VX-Rs I own, but they get a bit pricey and will run $350-$400. I have 3 of the 2-7×33 and 2 of the 1.25-4×20 and they are fantastic scopes.

The Sig is on the right there on a Model Seven. A great scope for the $$.View attachment 957425
I ordered the Whiskey 3 from OpticsPlanet with the hellfire quadreplex reticle

Horns

I mounted my scope 2 weekends ago and sighted it in this evening. She’s ready for her first victim

Reactions: Dub

Buckman18

I have a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 on my Marlin 45-70. Been 3 seasons and perfect performance thus far...

Dub

I've got a Henry all steel 45/70 with a Leupold VX3 1.5 X 5 on it for just what you are asking. REALLY like it.

Picked up a Henry 45/70 a couple years ago. Recently bought a Leupold 1-4x20mm w/ heavy duplex reticle for it.

I think I'm going to like it.

I have a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 on my Marlin 45-70. Been 3 seasons and perfect performance thus far...

Great results !!!!

Getting it done very nicely.