Best wading boots for long hikes?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I saw those a while back. I bet that boot is a beast and will last forever! I imagine the price will be unreal high though

Not in the market personally, but interested at looking at them. Where did you see them?

ripplerider

I found them on gearjunkie.com. Theyre $500, $550 if you get the aluminum bar sole. I'll stick with my Simms until I hit the lottery. That'll probably be a while, cause I dont play.

splatek

UAEC
I really like the korkers because of the "covertible" nature of them - rubber/vibram sole for hiking in distances, then felt with spikes for wading, then swap out.
They also have pretty good customer service; I work my first pair out in less then a year and they gave me a huge discount on an upgrade. I fish a lot (well before I decided to try and become a hunter) so they get beaten up a lot.
I think for summer wet wading TEva makes a few good options.

IvyThicket

I am no frills guy. I owned a pair of Korkers but they didn't last to my style of fishing which includes long hikes here in WNC. The plastic on the soles began to crack and eventually the rubber strap broke. I think Korkers are a great idea, just not sturdy enough for me.

I've also worn Orvis. I started with their cheap models which are junk but luckily it's Orvis and they'll guarantee anything. I took them back to the store in Asheville and went with their top of the line Access boot. Those things are bomb proof but come at the expense of weight. They are heavy.

I've since switched back to Simms and won't look back. You simply cannot find a better boot for the money nor a selection to fit any style. Yes they are expensive however there is a reason. Like I said above, I am a no frills guy and I want a sturdy boot that is comfortable in any water where I don't have switch soles or worry about taking them back in 6 months.

If that is you, go Simms.

jigman29

I just saw Brookings Anglers in highlands North Carolina has the danner/Patagonia boot. No price listed though

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
They just messaged me back. They have two versions. $495.00 or &550.00 depending on which

Taht would be a lot of walking.

IvyThicket

If they really last a lifetime like they claim then it would be worth it. But I bet 4-5 years tops.

My guess is the claim is backed by a repair regimen. There appears to be no glue or lamination on the boot. Everything appears to be stitched which makes repairs easy. My guess is that with proper care and repair, you could get 20+ years out of them.

flyrod444

I stopped by Brookings in cashier's today and looked at the danner boot. They are well made but the felt sole ones are a little heavy. There is something like a $30.00 charge for shipping when one sends them and in for repairs which is suppose to be for life. One of the owners has a pair so I'll see how he likes them this season. It will take some doing to get me to stop wearing korkers devils canyon boots though.

jigman29

I stopped by Brookings in cashier's today and looked at the danner boot. They are well made but the felt sole ones are a little heavy. There is something like a $30.00 charge for shipping when one sends them and in for repairs which is suppose to be for life. One of the owners has a pair so I'll see how he likes them this season. It will take some doing to get me to stop wearing korkers devils canyon boots though.

Plus, with felt being outlawed in so many places I would be afraid of not being able to use them in too many places. That's why I love my korkers and being ably to change soles when needed.