Are You Scared of dieing?

j_seph

After reading some of the post in the thread @Artfuldodger made "Jesus actually died?" and in order to not derail it I have this question.

Simple and straight forward:
Are you scared to die?
For myself I am not scared to die. I am scared of what it may take to get me to deaths door. I am scared of what my family and friends will have to deal with and go through. Someone mentioned this verse over there.
2 Corinthians 5:8
8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

If you are scared of death, why? Is it because of that last part of that verse "to be present with the Lord."?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I haven't read the other thread but I am not afraid of dying. I'm confident that I will be in the good place that other good people will be.
However, I am afraid that I will die before I am through living. I'm just getting to the good part!

jbogg

Nothing to fear either way as far as I can tell. I have accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior so I have that going for me. If it turns out the atheists are right about everything there's nothing after this life, so again nothing to fear.

dirtnap

All of us are scared to some degree of death. For those of us that are believers we’re not scared of dying because of our faith in Christ, but everyone has some fear of the sting of death, anyone who says otherwise is just wanting to pound their chest and try to be macho

280 Man

Banned
Nothing to fear either way as far as I can tell. I have accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior so I have that going for me. If it turns out the atheists are right about everything there's nothing after this life, so again nothing to fear.

Amen...And if the atheist turn out to be wrong, then they have the eternal wrath of God, the one they said didn't exist to fear....

Psalm 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God"

Madman

I am not afraid of dieing. Sometimes the manner concerns me.

Our evening prayer:
"In particular, we beseech thee to continue thy gracious protection to us this night. Defend us from all dangers and mischiefs, and from the fear of them; that we may enjoy such refreshing sleep as may fit us for the duties of the coming day. And grant us grace always to live in such a state that we may never be afraid to die; so that, living and dying, we may be thine, through the merits and satisfaction of thy Son Christ Jesus, in whose Name we offer up these
our imperfect prayers. "Amen.

280 Man

Banned
I haven't read the other thread but I am not afraid of dying. I'm confident that I will be in the good place that other good people will be.
However, I am afraid that I will die before I am through living. I'm just getting to the good part!

What are you putting your confidence in that makes you sure you are going to the "good place" as you call it?

Heaven and spending eternity there is not based on "being good". They will not be one person in heaven because they were "good".. Romans 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.

Going to heaven is based on being saved and salvation comes through one name only, That name is Jesus..
John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me"

Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved

John 3:3 "Verily, verily I say unto thee, ye must be born again to enter the kingdom of God"

1988USMC

I believe that when death comes to my physical body, my spiritual body will live for eternity in the glory of Heaven with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
I believe eternal life started the minute I was born again. I also believe that nothing can separate me from His love.

No fear in the love of Christ! Praise be to God for His unspeakable gift!

Artfuldodger

All of us are scared to some degree of death. For those of us that are believers we’re not scared of dying because of our faith in Christ, but everyone has some fear of the sting of death, anyone who says otherwise is just wanting to pound their chest and try to be macho

I agree and also see fear as a good thing. Maybe it gets us to the doctor for a check-up. Maybe it scares us to exercise and eat better.

I do see too much fear as being a bad thing. I've seen some deeply religious people who had to carry a pistol to take clothes off the line.

I know a man that keeps his hand on his pocket knife while he pumps gas.

Artfuldodger

I wonder if Jesus, being a man, feared death? Wouldn't that be a human thing that he had to face? That fear? Even knowing God was his Father?

Didn't Jesus have emotions, fears, anxiety? Maybe even a few nights where he couldn't sleep.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I agree and also see fear as a good thing. Maybe it gets us to the doctor for a check-up. Maybe it scares us to exercise and eat better.

I do see too much fear as being a bad thing. I've seen some deeply religious people who had to carry a pistol to take clothes off the line.

I know a man that keeps his hand on his pocket knife while he pumps gas.

I don`t call that fear. That`s being cautious, prepared, and aware.

j_seph

Can be in the best shape as anyone, the healthiest of anyone. Life is one heartbeat/breath away. What you descrived would be the fear of deaths sting or the route that gets you to deaths door. My question is fairly simple, yes or no. It is nothing to do as dirtnap stated with being macho or wanting to pound my chest. To know that in one heartbeat/breath I will be face to face with my Savior, no worries, no pain there is no fear. I do not wonder what if the atheist are right and we are wrong nor what if this is not true. If you have that one on one relationship you know the truth and that better days are ahead, that this is just the beginning of an eternal life of joy. Can you imagine being able to sing a song that the angels cannot even sing?

Artfuldodger

I don`t call that fear. That`s being cautious, prepared, and aware.

Isn't it driven by a desire to stay alive? What gives us that animal instinct to live? Do animals operate out of fear? I'm just trying to see what motivates one to think he has to be that cautious if it isn't fear.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Isn't it driven by a desire to stay alive? What gives us that animal instinct to live? Do animals operate out of fear? I'm just trying to see what motivates one to think he has to be that cautious if it isn't fear.

That I don`t know. If I had to guess I would say instinct, in the case of animals.

Artfuldodger

Can be in the best shape as anyone, the healthiest of anyone. Life is one heartbeat/breath away. What you descrived would be the fear of deaths sting or the route that gets you to deaths door. My question is fairly simple, yes or no. It is nothing to do as dirtnap stated with being macho or wanting to pound my chest. To know that in one heartbeat/breath I will be face to face with my Savior, no worries, no pain there is no fear. I do not wonder what if the atheist are right and we are wrong nor what if this is not true. If you have that one on one relationship you know the truth and that better days are ahead, that this is just the beginning of an eternal life of joy. Can you imagine being able to sing a song that the angels cannot even sing?

My answer is no, I fear death. Maybe what I really fear it the route to death as you say. Maybe the route to death or the sting is what we actually fear at all when we say we fear death.

I don't fear what happens "after" the sting. Again, I think it is a trait God gave us and other animals to survive.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I fear death as much as any normal person would, but I don`t dwell on it. But the day I turned 50, I realized that I wouldn`t be turning that hourglass over again.

Actually, the closest I ever knowingly came to dying was on the water.

Artfuldodger

I too am in the September of my life. I don't dwell on it. Actually I think it helps me enjoy life more.
I'm starting to enjoy life more than things. I'm starting to see the importance of health.

That life is for the living.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I too am in the September of my life. I don't dwell on it. Actually I think it helps me enjoy life more.
I'm starting to enjoy life more than things. I'm starting to see the importance of health.

That life is for the living.

As I age, there are things I won`t do anymore, risks that I used to love to take on, that both healthwise and moneywise, that I just don`t think I can afford now. I guess you could call that fear, but I consider it common sense.